Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: To live in Thailand or The Philippines.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    I'm not sure if I could live there purely based on the fact I am not a fan of the local food. I reckon I could quiet easily settle down in Thailand. I love the food, already speak the language to a basic level.

It would depend though on what the costs look like for things like international schooling and medical cover.

Plus as much as I love going there, I always get the feeling that deep down the Thais don't really want farangs to live there without paying an arm and a leg. Malaysia is another alternative I've considered if I were to ever try living in Asia although that's only based on having current family from there.
    Malaysia works well for us, Daily flights 5hrs to Perth, 3hrs to Cebu, 2,5Hrs to Chaing mai. Great food and we have friends in KL. My sport is also popular with a large community.
    But on the down side its a Muslim country, not sure if thats a issue.

International schooling is super expensive, from what I have seen around 17k AUD per kid per year. 340,000 TB per year.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    The Muslim angle wasn't really noticeable when I went a few years ago. Other than hearing prayers on a loudspeaker a few times a day I hardly noticed.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    If I had school age kids I would be staying in AUS until they were settled into Uni...the education system up here even in the best schools is still nowhere near as good as we get in our better public schools..and once you get to Uni....well, just have a look at how many Asian kids choose AUS Universities...

Thailand is more advanced in infrastrusture and western lifestyle choices....internet, electricity, roads, public transport, cinemas (in english) restaurants, food etc etc make a huge difference to lifestyle...and you can get almost anything you need from your former life here..even vegemite 55

Thailand also just seems to have a bit more refinement about it too...The PI can appear to be a bit (or a lot too) rough around the edges sometimes...having said that..as a single guy that doesn't bother me so much, in fact in some ways it attracts me...but I don't think it would if I had a family in tow

I don't think Malaysia has the cost of living advantages over AUS that The PI and to a lesser extent Thailand has...it can be every bit as expensive as AUS for most things..sometimes even moreso....and our $ ain't getting any stronger against these batch of currencies lately..might even do worse in the near future...
    Rockitt, Nomad, Ian Forbes and 2 others like this.

Good summary. Maybe I'm just better off staying here in little Britain.

I'd love to be able to spend 3-6 months abroad though as I get older. Ideally Thailand.
    Rockitt, Ian Forbes and Stillearly like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    If I had school age kids I would be staying in AUS until they were settled into Uni...the education system up here even in the best schools is still nowhere near as good as we get in our better public schools..and once you get to Uni....well, just have a look at how many Asian kids choose AUS Universities...

Thailand is more advanced in infrastrusture and western lifestyle choices....internet, electricity, roads, public transport, cinemas (in english) restaurants, food etc etc make a huge difference to lifestyle...and you can get almost anything you need from your former life here..even vegemite 55

Thailand also just seems to have a bit more refinement about it too...The PI can appear to be a bit (or a lot too) rough around the edges sometimes...having said that..as a single guy that doesn't bother me so much, in fact in some ways it attracts me...but I don't think it would if I had a family in tow

I don't think Malaysia has the cost of living advantages over AUS that The PI and to a lesser extent Thailand has...it can be every bit as expensive as AUS for most things..sometimes even moreso....and our $ ain't getting any stronger against these batch of currencies lately..might even do worse in the near future...
    I think it all boils down to being single or married with a family(and then especially with young children)

Costs, living considerations....

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Asian kids choose AUS for two reasons, one is the quality of education. But a big one more so than the education, well with Filipinos anyway is the opportunity to work in Australia and send money home.

My wife went to international school, in a few country's including back home in Cebu. I asked why in Cebu? it was because the standard of education is so much better than the local schools and gets you into better Uni's.

We have friends in CM that both kids go to international school, Mark is English his wife Malay. She tells me the international school in CM is a lot better than the schools the kids went to in London.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Asian kids choose AUS for two reasons, one is the quality of education. But a big one more so than the education, well with Filipinos anyway is the opportunity to work in Australia and send money home.

My wife went to international school, in a few country's including back home in Cebu. I asked why in Cebu? it was because the standard of education is so much better than the local schools and gets you into better Uni's.

We have friends in CM that both kids go to international school, Mark is English his wife Malay. She tells me the international school in CM is a lot better than the schools the kids went to in London.
    I don't think it matter when the kids are young

But I think anyone from the West that doesn't have their kids go to school in the West for high school and University is doing them a major disservice

It may be prejudice but I've seen it 1st hand dozens of times here in Vancouver where Asians just can't get a job in North America with their degree unless it's from a very prestigious university

That includes my stepson
    Even though he's doing very well at University I think my wife blew it big time not insisting he go to University in Vancouver

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Prem at Mae Rim seems like a good one. They seem to promote sports quite a bit,much like Oz. They have a great cricket pitch there that the local and international teams play on regularly.
    You'd still need a fair chunk of cash to put your kids through school somewhere like that.Our mate from the X Centre's kids went there but just recently have been here in Oz looking at Uni's to go to.

OZZYGUY likes this.
    “There's someone in my head, but it's not me.”
    ― Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Prem at Mae Rim seems like a good one. They seem to promote sports quite a bit,much like Oz.
    I find that most Thai schools promotes sports

Even for the young ones
    But once they get to high school and Uni, very much so

My stepson was constantly at school at the gym
    Or on a trip for his sport to tournaments

And now in Uni
    He's either at the gym or in class

They push the kids to help out with other sports when they aren't playing

Plus Nut has gotten some good paying work from his coaches teaching camps

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Maybe i should've said they promote a great range of sports....eg; they have cricket and golf on the school grounds etc
    Finding a student that has natural ability at either and getting them started into a sporting career would be great for them,whereas it's just not possible in the majority of Thai schools i'm sure.
    “There's someone in my head, but it's not me.”
    ― Pink Floyd

Maybe i should've said they promote a great range of sports....eg; they have cricket and golf on the school grounds etc
    Finding a student that has natural ability at either and getting them started into a sporting career would be great for them,whereas it's just not possible in the majority of Thai schools i'm sure.
    Yeah haven't seen those two sports at all

Seen some very nice pools! Even in elementary school

Nut and his friends at Thammasat all play different sports

2 of them play football (one for Suphanburi FC, gets decent money per month)
    Another one basketball
    Another one swimming
    And Nut plays Sepak Tekraw

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Cadet Gold
    Malaysia works well for us, Daily flights 5hrs to Perth, 3hrs to Cebu, 2,5Hrs to Chaing mai. Great food and we have friends in KL. My sport is also popular with a large community.
    But on the down side its a Muslim country, not sure if thats a issue.

International schooling is super expensive, from what I have seen around 17k AUD per kid per year. 340,000 TB per year.
    Yes International Schools are freaking expensive and it has become really popular, from well known ones to some with just the name International. Lots of debate on the ongoing education system, that's why many have decided to invest in International Schools.

The Muslim issue has become bad to worse over the years. Racial incidents almost daily in the social media and also some newspaper coverage.

Malaysia has also become expensive , cost of living gone up a lot. Everything blamed on 1MDB, and the new Government has already lost 5 by-elections. Confidence on them at all time low. I voted for change, but most including me think we are got played instead by the Madhatter (Mahathir)
    Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

That includes my stepson
    Even though he's doing very well at University I think my wife blew it big time not insisting he go to University in Vancouver

What were her reasons for not wanting him to go to uni in Canada?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I don't think it matter when the kids are young

But I think anyone from the West that doesn't have their kids go to school in the West for high school and University is doing them a major disservice

It may be prejudice but I've seen it 1st hand dozens of times here in Vancouver where Asians just can't get a job in North America with their degree unless it's from a very prestigious university

That includes my stepson
    I agree and even in Aust they cannot work in the field they studied. My wife went to a good school and uni back home, got the qualifications, worked in private hospitals, but in Perth cannot work as a nurse unless she does the conversion coarse, she was doing the coarse when we first met but its super expensive as a international student and she soon relied way too much responsibility to work as a nurse in Aust.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Yes International Schools are freaking expensive and it has become really popular, from well known ones to some with just the name International. Lots of debate on the ongoing education system, that's why many have decided to invest in International Schools.
    I cannot afford the international school fees. Its twice what we pay in Aust and the kids go to a pretty good private school in Aust.

Prem at Mae Rim seems like a good one.
    But would have to live out Mae Rim way......to far from the boxing soi...........55

What were her reasons for not wanting him to go to uni in Canada?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Social for him, which is understandable

By the way
    He blew it on the social aspect also
    I don't think Heaven exists but if it does it's the English language schools in Vancouver for a 19/20yr old kid
    It is like 10 to 1 girls and all the Asian and Brazilian girls are away from home and looking to have fun
    He would have cleaned up! And I told him that 5555
    He wanted to go to University in Thailand

He's doing really well but still think a big mistake
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 2nd February 2020 at 23:53.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

I don't mean to generalise but most of the Thais I've ever come across don't like the thought of moving abroad and those that do don't seem to enjoy it much.

I don't mean to generalise but most of the Thais I've ever come across don't like the thought of moving abroad and those that do don't seem to enjoy it much.
    Have met plenty of Thais in the UK that seem to like it here, despite the weather. They like that their kids get good schooling and the better standard of living they have.

Then again most have been here years. I guess the ones that don't like it have gone back to Thailand.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

I think most 18yr olds would want to stay and go to University in their home country for the social aspect

As for your generalization
    I guess it's just that because I'd say it is 50/50

I think a big factor about enjoying it seems to be split between the Thais who come here on their own vs Thai girls that come with a man

I think there is a clear difference
    Thais who come on their own seem to settle into life and are happier

0ne other thing is raising kids
    If Thais have young kids and are raising them outside Thailand they seem to adjust

So I guess it really is what you have going on in your life dictates if your happy away from home

Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    Have met plenty of Thais in the UK that seem to like it here, despite the weather. They like that their kids get good schooling and the better standard of living they have.

Then again most have been here years. I guess the ones that don't like it have gone back to Thailand.
    My wife loves Vancouver but loves Thailand more
    She would also very much prefer we had family around us

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast