Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: To live in Thailand or The Philippines.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    As Aussie points out, overseas travel is often cheaper than domestic. It is crazy.

I can fly from here on the east coast, to BKK return, for the same or less price to fly to Perth. So a 9.5hr flight compared to 4hrs, each way.

I think that is one of the things that give the younger generation the ability to travel so much. We never had low cost airlines, they were all full service and prices set, no discount.

In 1977 when i was in Perth, it was $1,300 to fly to Sydney. Basic wages were $250pw.
    It costs peanuts to fly within the US

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^^ Yes I think US and Europe have so much competition and the prices are down all the time.

Here we do get cheap fares now. In the old days there were only 2 domestic carriers and it was all full service. For example even on a 1hr flight Gold Coast to Sydney, you were served a meal and drinks, unlimited baggage and seat selection.

We get some very cheap specials but usually flying times are not what you need, especially if a work trip.
    If you can fly at their times the flights cost less than the cab to the airport 5555
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

^^^ Yes I think US and Europe have so much competition and the prices are down all the time.

Here we do get cheap fares now. In the old days there were only 2 domestic carriers and it was all full service. For example even on a 1hr flight Gold Coast to Sydney, you were served a meal and drinks, unlimited baggage and seat selection.

We get some very cheap specials but usually flying times are not what you need, especially if a work trip.
    If you can fly at their times the flights cost less than the cab to the airport 5555
    I am really fortunate in that I travel so much for work that I can usually add on 2-3 days in a city nearby and I am only paying for that one way ticket myself

So if I am in Chicago for biz
    Then go to Denver for the weekend

The firm pays for the flight to Chicago and flight home from Denver

I pay the one way Chicago to Denver
    And a one way ticket in US is never more than 150usd

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I am really fortunate in that I travel so much for work that I can usually add on 2-3 days in a city nearby and I am only paying for that one way ticket myself

So if I am in Chicago for biz
    Then go to Denver for the weekend

The firm pays for the flight to Chicago and flight home from Denver

I pay the one way Chicago to Denver
    And a one way ticket in US is never more than 150usd
    Im about to book Perth to Sydney for work. $430 AUD one way. Have not looked at the returns yet but its usually more about $600. $1000 plus round trip. I can fly to Thailand $600 - $850.

^^^^When we get specials here Brisbane to Sydney can get down to as low as $49 one way. Most specials are $71 and normal fare would be $140-170.
    Where they get you is they don't seem to have specials on the return trips. Often i can find one on a different carrier if I'm not set on dates.

To give some idea of how things have come down, now the flights Bris or Sydney to Perth that used to be $1,300 can now get no frills on special at $340 return??
    So all these years later it is understandable why people are flying so much more.

Just a classic example, drive Bris to Syd and you use about $300 in petrol return, wear and tear on the car, tyres etc also risk of accidents or fines so....fly on a special, hire a car for 3 days and you have spent the same but travel time is 1hr against 9-10 hrs. each way.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Im about to book Perth to Sydney for work. $430 AUD one way. Have not looked at the returns yet but its usually more about $600. $1000 plus round trip. I can fly to Thailand $600 - $850.
    Ash for some reason it seems to cost more to fly from Perth, who are you flying with? I just looked at Jetstar Bris to Perth and its $ 340 return this month and most of next. Says Perth to Syd return was around $600??? this week.

I fly Qantas, adds to my points.

If you need a cold beer in Perth message me.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I fly Qantas, adds to my points.

If you need a cold beer in Perth message me.
    Thanks mate, I'm not coming over at this point, I was just looking at costs now compared to back when I lived there.

Do you get points on Jetstar? it's part of Qantas
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Thanks mate, I'm not coming over at this point, I was just looking at costs now compared to back when I lived there.

Do you get points on Jetstar? it's part of Qantas
    Not sure, but I do find them a bit unreliable and sometimes have meetings booked not long after landing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    No Qantas points with jetstar.

I fly at least once a week with work and the Virgin Velocity frequent flyers program shits on Qantas's.
    It takes 2.5 flights to get a $50 gift voucher with Virgin..11.5 flights with Qantas to get the same thing.
    Plus with Gold status that is easier to obtain on Virgin we get Priorty boarding and seating and use of the lounge for free brekky,lunch dinner/arvo coldies etc.

No brainer really for us to fly Virgin.
    justcruzing1 and OZZYGUY like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    No Qantas points with jetstar.

I fly at least once a week with work and the Virgin Velocity frequent flyers program shits on Qantas's.
    It takes 2.5 flights to get a $50 gift voucher with Virgin..11.5 flights with Qantas to get the same thing.
    Plus with Gold status that is easier to obtain on Virgin we get Priorty boarding and seating and use of the lounge for free brekky,lunch dinner/arvo coldies etc.

No brainer really for us to fly Virgin.
    Qantas point I can fly to Cebu with Cathay Pacific. I reason I use them.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quantas sounds a lot like Air Canada; adequate but expensive. Air Canada seems to have a monopoly in Canada, and it shows in their prices. If I wanted to fly to eastern Canada it is cheaper to fly to Seattle and then take one of the US carriers.

However, I get "air miles" with my VISA card that deals exclusively with Air Canada. For at least 5 years now I've had enough "air miles" for a return trip to Thailand, but I don't use them. The connections are lousy, and that means up to 6 or 7 hours between connecting flights. A few times I've given them to my kids when they want to fly across Canada to see relations back east.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Quantas sounds a lot like Air Canada; adequate but expensive. Air Canada seems to have a monopoly in Canada, and it shows in their prices. If I wanted to fly to eastern Canada it is cheaper to fly to Seattle and then take one of the US carriers.

However, I get "air miles" with my VISA card that deals exclusively with Air Canada. For at least 5 years now I've had enough "air miles" for a return trip to Thailand, but I don't use them. The connections are lousy, and that means up to 6 or 7 hours between connecting flights. A few times I've given them to my kids when they want to fly across Canada to see relations back east.
    So do you get Aeroplan miles?

You are correct that it is expensive to fly within Canada

But those Aeroplan miles are a great deal

25k aeroplan miles to fly basically anywhre in Norrh America

We use them all the time to fly Ao to Boston and NYC when I am flying for business

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234