Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: To live in Thailand or The Philippines.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

To live in Thailand or The Philippines.

Part of the reason I stayed two months in the Philippines was to see if I could live in the place. The short answer is I don’t think I could and Chiang mai may still be a better option.
    Sort of a plan B if I don’t have a job on returning. Even if I do have a job it will be short term.

These are my reasons in no order.

If I lived in The Philippines it would be a place called Valencia just outside of Dumaguete on Negros island. Visa’s are very easy, its super cheap to live, a large expat community, good mountain biking with a big cycling community, (you need a pastime right.) The schooling is cheap with one of the country’s best universities. Lots of restaurants with our food in Dumaguete. You can rent a good family size house for 20,000p ($570 AUD, 11500tb) a month. Airport is 15 minutes’ drive, Its close to my wifes family but not too close. It’s my wife’s country and language. Almost everyone talks good English, House helper is easy to get and only about $75 Aud a month. Its common for family's to have a house helper and even a driver. The negatives. It’s very much a 3rd world country, lots of poverty, they just dump rubbish all over the place, its grubby, its like everything is old and worn out. But the biggest is medical. With my sport this is a major issue for me as things can go bad. Its even hard to get blood, seriously I guy I talked with waited 10 days for a operation of a broken leg waiting for blood. My wife is still concerned about our safety with her ex BF, he is a nutter, safety in general although I have never had a issue but it happens and of cause the food.

Chiang mai
    I have a large group of good friends already both Thai and western and my wife has a few as well. Food is good, Best biking community & trails in SEA, Ram Hospital is very good. Apparently, a good Filipino community working in CM. Its much safer, My wife can work as a English teacher the pay is 20-30k a month in public school but international is 50k – 120k. Lots of work for teachers starting March. I can work a cashy job a few days a week as a bike guide with my friends company.
    As far as Visa’s go if my wife got work I would assume me and the kids get on her visa.? Or another option is we have friends that have non Thai kids that are on student visa’a and the parents are on guardian visa’s.
    The downside is its more expensive, but the work would help, however International schooling is expensive, not sure how the kids would go socially although we do know a few English speaking kids in CM already.

Just my thoughts any comments?
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 26th January 2020 at 17:56.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

It sounds like you prefer Chiang Mai? Go with your gut?

The ex BF nutter alone is probably reason not to live in PI?
    Minder and OZZYGUY like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post

The ex BF nutter alone is probably reason not to live in PI?
    Yeah she is shit scared of him, locks our bedroom door ever night. But in saying that Filipinas over react

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Yeah she is shit scared of him, locks our bedroom door ever night. But in saying that Filipinas over react
    Jo locks our doors every night, against the pee/ghosts I think, as burglary/break in crime is virtually unheard of.

Take a contract out on the ex BF or come live in Thailand. Up2U
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Jo locks our doors every night, against the pee/ghosts I think, as burglary/break in crime is virtually unheard of.

Take a contract out on the ex BF or come live in Thailand. Up2U
    Still got your old place for rent.....55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    My wife would divorce me if I moved to Asia and suggest we live in another country

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar

To live in Thailand or The Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    My wife would divorce me if I moved to Asia and suggest we live in another country

Surely it would be fine as you'd be closer to Thailand so able to make more frequent visits. I'm assuming she lives in Canada now.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Surely it would be fine as you'd be closer to Thailand so able to make more frequent visits. I'm assuming she lives in Canada now.
    If I just decided to live in another Asian country besides here's
    No she wouldn't be fine..
    She literally would probably divorce me

Now if I got a job somewhere, different story

But she wouldn't be happy at all I chose, say Vietnam, over Thailand

My wife goes back and forth Thailand and Canada
    We didn't realize they changed the ease of her getting a Work Permit
    So she was supposed to be back full time since September now that her son is at University

But since the weather has been awful and she couldn't work she went back to Thailand until May when our new work permits come

My wife has lived in Denmark and Sweden before, it's just another adventure to her and a chance to learn new things When she was young her parents lived in Thailand, Cambodia and Nepal for short periods while my FIL worked. She is sort of use to it.

She has been going to Thailand way before we met.

It's her that has been doing all the research.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Lost me to PI the moment you said Ex let alone Nutter (though they often go hand-in-hand)
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I got no desire to live in SE Asia again...been there done that already and had a great adventure.
    Love where i am now.
    We have a river full of fish 150m from the front door (unlimited free oysters and mussels at the seaway a few ks away),a nice sandy surf beach 300m away,tram close to the door,shopping centre/supermarket 1/2 km,one of the biggest shopping centres in the southern hemisphere Pacific Fair 1km,international airport 30mins away by tram and bus,good hospitals and free medical care.

CM is too hot and smoky for a few months of the year and the PI i just don't like.
    Health and safety are major concerns these days.

A few of the winter months (Nov-Feb) doing LOS-CM and out near Udon where the little bloke is,PI, or both suits me down to the ground as getting time off work isn't an issue at all. eg; every week when i'm next in line for work i get a call to see if i want it or not or let them know if i'm not available for a week,month or more.
    The missus prefers LOS to going home but i want to stay on Camotes for a bit next time we go back there. Cebu and Mactan are overcrowded shitholes,IMO....not that Ozzy doesn't know that already 55

Having no work doesn't mean you can't get any....want our offices number? 5555
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 27th January 2020 at 08:14.
    Quarky, OZZYGUY and Tingtong like this.
    “There's someone in my head, but it's not me.”
    ― Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    . Cebu and Mactan are over crowded shitholes,IMO....not that Ozzy doesn't know that 55
    Moo next time you go get down to Negros, its very different to Cebu, I think you would like it. (for a holiday). The roads are in good condition and not so much traffic. My scoot trip around Negros was a great trip.
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Moo next time you go get down to Negros, its very different to Cebu, I think you would like it. (for a holiday). The roads are in good condition and not so much traffic. My scoot trip around Negros was a great trip.
    Camotese is between her home Leyte and Cebu...wanna check it out for a week or so next time.

https://www.facebook.com/ZZCebuVanRe...20410732624241

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...!4d124.3185434
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 27th January 2020 at 08:50.
    justcruzing1 and OZZYGUY like this.
    “There's someone in my head, but it's not me.”
    ― Pink Floyd

My wife has lived in Denmark and Sweden before, it's just another adventure to her and a chance to learn new things When she was young her parents lived in Thailand, Cambodia and Nepal for short periods while my FIL worked. She is sort of use to it.

She has been going to Thailand way before we met.

It's her that has been doing all the research.
    I wasn't really making a judgement on your decision

Just when you posted this it just made me immediately think how my wife would handle it

By the way why would you be thinking about moving when it seems they all just getting settled in Australia?
    OZZYGUY likes this.

I wasn't really making a judgement on your decision

Just when you posted this it just made me immediately think how my wife would handle it

By the way why would you be thinking about moving when it seems they all just getting settled in Australia?
    I didnt think you were making a judgement and its a fair thing to say, majority of our friends back home would think the same. A lot of Asian girls are a bit like "Im not living in that country"

Yes we are settled in Aust and if we did make the move it would be in about 9 months once my wife and the kids get a Australian passport.

One of the things that bothers me a bit is at my age and with my work its a bit hard to find a new role unless I go back into Managing a repair shop. Thats a stressful job with long hrs with shit pay. I would need to work 3x the hrs for a lot less money actually about a 1/4 the money.

The other thing is quality of life while Im still young, now I can either rent my house or sell it and invest the money for some income. In SEA I can live off that money in Aust I cannot.

Maybe Im just being lazy.......555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    What about the Gym ?
    Thailand sounds a lot Safer than Philippines . Could you base yourself in Chiang Mai, and during the Smokey Season Fuck Off over to the Coast for a month or so for a break ... Hua Hin or similar rent something cheap ?
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    What about the Gym ?
    Thailand sounds a lot Safer than Philippines . Could you base yourself in Chiang Mai, and during the Smokey Season Fuck Off over to the Coast for a month or so for a break ... Hua Hin or similar rent something cheap ?
    Gym Im considering selling soon anyway, just waiting for the membership to grow a bit more so its attractive and get a good price.
    Smokey Season in CM would be a good time to go to PI and Aust but hard if the wife is working.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    I’ve never been to PI so I can’t really say much about it. I have heard good things and bad things about it but to me it doesn’t sound the ideal place to live with a young family. Too many negatives.
    CM or Thailand in general ticks more boxes and your wife enjoys it there. I’m sure she would be happy teaching there and if visas are not too much of a problem that would be an easy choice.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Sorry wrong thread
    Last edited by Rockitt; 1st February 2020 at 16:07.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I'm not sure if I could live there purely based on the fact I am not a fan of the local food. I reckon I could quiet easily settle down in Thailand. I love the food, already speak the language to a basic level.

It would depend though on what the costs look like for things like international schooling and medical cover.

Plus as much as I love going there, I always get the feeling that deep down the Thais don't really want farangs to live there without paying an arm and a leg. Malaysia is another alternative I've considered if I were to ever try living in Asia although that's only based on having current family from there.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast