Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jontymate

Thread: A nice place to live - But you wouldn't want to work there.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Last edited by Changone; 30th April 2013 at 23:05.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Perth's a nice place to live if you don't need to work to make a living".

(I'll focus on the Perth aspect for now and get back to Thailand later.....)

No, that statement really is just plain wrong from what I see or have seen to date.

Thousands of people arrive here every week because the work situation is so much better here (or has been till now anyway) than over East.

....leaving aside the drop in quality of some recent arrivals .... Where would you go to make money in Australia today if not here in WA?

A solid house in a working class suburb has been enough for me - the Mc Mansion on the Beach I'll leave to others.....like perhaps the author of the above comment who may have purchased at the top of the recent boom and now dreads the next interest rate rise?

I fled here to Perth Western Australia in early 2000, arriving with all I owned in a car I didn't own, with nowhere to live and not knowing anyone or having a single contact beyond the people who had employed me.........but I suppose I got in before the house prices here doubled and then doubled again thru 2005 -2008.

A decade later I am back on my feet and even taking a few steps - a few more years and I will be in better shape financially than I ever was or ever dreamed I would be 10 years ago.

Thank Goodness I love the beach and the climate....because that is all Perth has going for it...that and being a good place to make some money.

Dining out here is minimal, service of any kind on any level is a bad joke and shopping hours belong to my childhood in other states.....6pm closing weekdays..5pm Saturday.....no Sunday trading.....and the only way to get a Pizza after 10pm any night is to stick your fingers down the throat of someone who had one earlier.....

Cosmopolitan and Perth.....let’s see that in sentence that does not make me laugh
    Last edited by Minder; 2nd July 2011 at 19:45. Reason: Paw spellang
    Life is the unexpected ...

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    My best mate is well and truely well healed and lives where he wishes.
    I know that one day he will live a Hi So expat life in Phuket until he is bored then he will live somewhere else or a combination of the afore mentioned.
    If you are in the mining industry you could fly in fly out of WA and base yourself in LOS.
    Have another mate who did security in the papua mines he had an arrangement with a guest house in Jontien.
    Both these guys also have internet busineses that would sustain them in a very good style in LOS

On Perth like any city in Oz...here to make money but my heart is forever in LOS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Interesting comments, the past is the past but I'm wondering about someone coming here for the first time today.
    I think the attitude now is "I'm here for the money" where before it was "Its a great place to live".
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I have developed business relationships in Thailand in the Sugar Industry(All just not rice). It is like business is in most places about relationships. I seen an opportunity for "My Thai Uncle" (a senior Engineer in a sugar mill to come up with a great Idea) and my German friends to come together.

The crushing process was stopped constantly due to inferior material used. I will not bore you with the detail but first brokered a transaction for a new crushing machine was done on a pro-rata basis. The next was cash up front. All correspondence goes through me and I take a 5% commission. Money for jam. I take no risk what so ever. The only risk is losing face. It is starting to compound now with other sugar mills.

"My Uncle" is seen as the white haired boy and is in much demand. Sure the other mills have tried to cut me out of the picture but relationships with the uncle and my German company refers all back through me.

Would I have gotten this opportunity if I was not accepted? I think not.

Give and you will receive back. Just understand you can not keep perfect score.

Live in Thailand full time? I love the slow down but then frustrates me too much. My Goal is half half.
    Rivo and contrarian like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Interesting comments, the past is the past but I'm wondering about someone coming here for the first time today.
    I think the attitude now is "I'm here for the money" where before it was "Its a great place to live".
    No, it has always been "for the money".....and now with so many people coming here there is just no hiding that fact anymore ....

The climate is lovely, the place is safe and very clean. The city reeks of wealth with its clean modern (but sadly often vandalised) public transport - spotless trains, modern buses and free transport in the central city are taken for granted here.... IMHO Everyone comes here seeking some of that wealth - not because it is a great place to live.

Now "True" West Australians may have once upon a time said "It's a great place to live" but that would only be because they had never been anywhere else (Perth is the most isolated captial city in the world distance wise).

To explain for the benefit of other BMs -Perth is a place full of people who are from somewhere else - from other states of Australia, the Eastern States as they are called here - and migrants from a variety of other countries - and Poms and Saffas are in plague proportions - there is hardly a so-called true West Australian - born, bred and stayed here - to be found.

"I am (firstly) here for the money" is what I have heard from just about everone since I have been here - since almost everyone here if from somewhere else anyway. They may have said - like me - that it is a great place to live whilst you are making money.

Perth has a nickname of Dullsville and it deserves that name....sorry....I think the West has been very good to me and I love the place for that....but it is a place of opportunity not quality of life....

(A successful Perth indie pop band called Eurogliders once had a hit called "Heaven"....listen to the words........Oooooh! Ooh I want to find a better place. Oooooh! Ooh I'm searching for a better place. . Oooooh! Ooh I'm tired of living in the sand....these are words from the heart of some true West Australians
    )

Enjoy.
    Life is the unexpected ...