Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Australian Passport Application.

Mrs M.

Australian Passport Application.

Australian passport.

The hard part is to get all document sorted at the post office.

In Thailand they have big passport department and these day they doing such a bloody good job there. As I just got my Thai passport renew last year. I was so impressed.

And this is how my story started.

To get an Australian passport. We will need :

1) 4x passport photos. Which is easy just go to post office and tell them that we want passport photo. Its cost $14.50. Which is acceptable compare to the train ticket ^_^.
    And my advise for anyone that want you photo look good. Prepared yourself before you get there because it is a post office. There is no mirror or any corner for you to check yourself. I was walking in a shower rain and windy to get there so I a little scared to look at the photo when i got it ^_^. But ID photo suppose to be one of our worse photo isn't it.

* We will need some one that know you for at least a year to sign at the back of one of photo as a garantor.

2) Birth certificate (translated by a someone that have a license or authorise). That what they said. But my I did by myself but it was worth trying.

3) Australian Citizenship certificate. It was not much help because there is no photo on this certificated so we can not use it as a ID photo. But you still need it for applying for a passport. Which is a shame. It cost ~$270 if they could put a photo in this official document would be really helpful.

4) Any document that can prove that you are living at your address. letter, bill, bank statement, etc.

5) Credit card, ATM card, Medicare card, Driving license card (this is a super prove for ID card, but unfortunately I don't have it yet)

6) Your only passport.
    This is the part that made that day of my life really difficult. The post office that I went to was in the city and the close to where i worked. We have to book in first, through internet or a call I guess and we did by internet.

7) You might as well drag everything that you could possibly think of with you.

8) Write the form with Black pen, but Blue will work too, but lets give them the BLACK better because they are use to of that.

We thought we got everything ready. The girl that checked my document was not really know what she was doing, well she act like she knows but I would not think so.

We started with the passport application form. Which is slightly problem we sign our names in Blue. ..sigh we were very careful but still ....urggg. She made a phone call and said its okay because blue is a dark color.

Then birth certificate, she was ready to accept that.

Then credit card, and others was ok.

Then a photo ID, which i did not have anything else but my passport. Which she said can not use international document? Which is does not make any sense. She made a phone call to passport dept. somewhere. And came back with the answer that I need one more garantor.

So I went back to the office, get another one of a good friend which know me for 3.5 years to sign. and went back to the post office again.

She started go through the document again, and then she asked again about my photo ID, and we said I thought we go through that. She sort of said yes yes I know bah bah...

Then we were at document to prove that I am really living at our address. I had a letter from midicare center, a couple other one. But she ask about a bank statement. Which is bummer I did not have it with me.

Do you have a prove of age card? She asked...What is it?? A prove of age card? never heard of it.

So that was hell of a day. And I tried to tell myself it was not her fault. It is the system or it could be my fault. who know?

So the next day we went to get a prove of age card at a diver license Dept. Which is the lady was very nice and it was surprise her that my THAILAND passport was not accepted. We paid $25 for the prove of age card + they taked a photo of me as well for the cad. Which is I though that was 1st thing that worth money. They suppose to do the same with passport but no.

and then next stop was a post office near our home. We thought may be because they probably see me around occasion and that might make it easier.

here we go: (again)
    She asked about my birth certificated. Which is like I said before that I translated myself. And it can not use funny but not ha ha ha very strange because I used the same paper for my visa, citizen and everything else to get to this country and this is one more last thing I want. And it can not be use.

So we pull out my THAILAND passport. And she accepted it. What a system! Its really depend on the person you get.

And everything else is good to go. I used my credit card to paid for the application ~$240 but it will last for 10 years. No no nothing free and cheap in this country. God I am complaining alot .

Then next few days we flew to Thailand and the passport arrived the next day after we came home. Which is did not take long.

I did not open the envelope when i got it but wait for Mr M. I just thought we have been through alot so we shoud open it together.

And when I turned the 1st page that locate my photo. I thought god could they make it any bigger ^_^. (complain gain..I must be getting old 55)

It was NOT easy to get here I must say. But I am happy and love living here. And like everything else that there is no such thing as perfection. I might seem to complain about bit and pieces. But I am sure when we do not get what we want we all complain don't we.

I hope this could be useful for some one for some reason.

You might find it a little confusing, and very sorry that I am not perfect ^_&.

There is a big election in Thailand and I missed that. I tried to do it here but could not find any information before last election so I loose interested. I feel bad though should have tried harder. I probably get into some kind of trouble I guess. But the Thai girls around me do not seem to think much of it.

But for AUS I know I will get a fine if I do not vote. Scary!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    I was with Mrs M when she renewed her ID card in Bangkok - late on a Saturday afternoon - one two three done.
    I was with Mrs M when she renewed her passport in Bangkok - the office location could do with some clearer signage but once there it was another one two three and all done process.
    More than once; undergoing the same processes in Australia for similar documentation has left me feeling embarrassed for my country.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    What a process .... I'm glad you persevered, Mrs.M and got your new passport. There is nothing we in the west do so well as develop "nit-picking" to a fine art. I personally think its because nothing else really exciting happens in our country (Oz and Canada same same). We have no wars fought on our soil, we don't experience famine or pestilence, we're relatively free of earthquakes and other natural disasters, and our politics is dead-boring. There is nothing to be stressed over .... so the goverment, in order to fill this gap in our life experience, has perfected government paper-shuffling to add that certain frustrating angst to our otherwise hum-drum existence.

Great story tho, I could feel your frustation and I like the way you faced it with humor ... in your story at least, if not at the time! 555
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Had similar dramas with my daughters passport... very stressful time, and like you said it all depends on who you get on the day...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    the whole getting a passport process is like pulling teeth, even for someone with the Australian Documents (birth certificate, Licence etc) I got pulled up twice. Once because i was looking the wrong way for the photos, and the other time because i signed outside the box.

Australia is so hard to get into and they seem to make it nearly as hard to get out of it..... Good read Mrs M I was interested in how someone in your situation would have to do this. This will be of use to others i am sure of it.

G4 did they have the passport checker at Suvarnaboom when you came home last time??...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    G4 did they have the passport checker at Suvarnaboom when you came home last time??...
    The only time I had check my passport was by a man at Passport control if thats what you mean? or is there some kind of mechine or an extra person doing an extra check to see if it is real?

I've had a guy twice now (an Aussie) check every aspect of my passport.... he even had a jewelers magnified eye piece looking at the arrival and departure stamps..

Mrs M.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I've had a guy twice now (an Aussie) check every aspect of my passport.... he even had a jewelers magnified eye piece looking at the arrival and departure stamps..
    I had mine checked at Singapore airport. The man is an Asian. I will say Singapore or some kind of Chinese. If you watch TV series The metalist. He is Detective Cho ^_^.

He looked at my Thai passport very carefully and asked am I living in Australia?
    And he looked for my visa. Thanks goodness he find it. ^_$.

Actually he was checking everyone but probably more carefully on non Aussie looking *_*.

But he did not have the jewelers magnified eye piece like PatongBeachBoy ^_&.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs M. View Post
    He looked at my Thai passport very carefully and asked am I living in Australia?
    And he looked for my visa. Thanks goodness he find it. ^_$.
    I only thought of this later but we were actually on seperate tickets since Mrs M had Jetsaver (checked bags) and I was on Jetsaver Light (no checked bags) - and you can't (could not previously, anyway) have that on a joint ticket - so a Thai woman travelling "alone" to Oz, yeah its cliched profiling but.........

Enjoy.
    Life is the unexpected ...