Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sydney's Water theory

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    I am currently using a company called Refresh Water which uses steam distillation to purify the water. The are a number of companies around who do pure water but when chosing one i would suggest going out to their factory or plant and get them to give you a guided tour. If they won't agree to this then forget them!!

Now i can never guarantee that's its 100% H2O , however i have had a few friends over the years who don't believe that's there is any difference between tap and bottled water and have tried to test me to see if i can tell the difference between tap and the water i buy.

This is a stupid test because i don't even need to taste the water to tell the difference.....they bring me the 2 cups of water hoping i won't know the difference, and to their surprise every time i just hold one of the glass's close to my nose and give them the correct answer........the glass either smells of chlorine or it doesn't...BINGO

After drinking pure water for the last 20 years i struggle to drink tap water now because the chlorine is so strong.....most people don't even notice the chlorine smell because they are so used to it......but once you stop drinking tap and then only drink pure for long enough, not only do you smell the chlorine, but you also start to taste the metals present, in particular copper from the pipes.

PBB when you say high quality in Melbourne, what is high quality ? high quality water (what ever that is) still contains a host of other chemicals they have to put in water in order to kill bacteria and other microorganism's that are present.

When it comes to bottled water most of it ( whilst better then tap) is not much chop because its mineral (or Spring) water and not pure water. People get confused with bottled water and what it actually is. As i mentioned above drinking large quantities of bottled spring or mineral water is not a good idea because of the varying mineral content and is far from pure. Its comes from the ground with no control over the mineral content it picks up on the way.

So i don't actually buy bottled water as such but instead buy 15 litre containers like the ones you see in offices and other business premise's. They cost about 9 bucks each and i buy 4 or 5 at a time. I have one of those machine refrigerator dispensers at work and a porcelain pourer at home. The when i go out somewhere i just fill a pump bottle or what ever and take it with me. Pure water all day everyday. Best money i have ever spent on my health for the last 20 years.

Anyway that's my rant on pure water as you can see i am fairly keen on the concept.

Considering our bodies are made up of 70% water and that every single chemical reaction in our body takes place in water and that we can last 3 or more weeks without food but only 3 days without water, i have always considered water, high on the health priority list. Add to that, its the cheap and easy thing to do

Here's a little guff about how Refresh purify their water and also a snippet on whats in tap water

REFRESH WATER

In the same way the sun evaporates water from the Earths surface leaving behind impurities and then condensing in the form of rain, Refresh steams off water molecules leaving behind impurities. They then condense and collect pure water droplets. This collected water is unadulterated H20 - pure and simple. Nothing could be more natural or more pure. No other purification process is more effective at removing man made contaminants or more natural.In fact Refresh uses a patented process that guarantees an average of less than one part per million total dissolved solids.

WHAT'S IN TAP WATER?
    Chlorine is added to kill bacteria. Studies show that people who drink chlorinated water
    run a 21 per cent greater risk of developing bladder cancer and a 38 per cent greater risk of developing rectal cancer compared with people who drink little or no chlorine.

Sodium fluoride is added to prevent tooth decay. Known for mind and behaviour
    changing potential.2
    "Fluorides are violent poisons to all living tissues, because of the
    precipitation of calcium. " 3
    "Fluoride causes more human cancer death, and causes it faster than any
    other chemical. "
    - Dcan Burk, Chicf Chcmist Emcritus, U.S. National Cancer Institute

Aluminium sulphate is added to stabilise sediments. Studies have linked aluminium to
    Alzheimer's disease. Dissolved aluminium in drinking water may enter the brain from
    as little as a single glass of water.

Pipeline pollutants - copper, iron, zinc, lead and others cause unpleasant odour,
    unpalatable taste and discoloration. The Environmental Protection Agency, USA., has
    found that lead in drinking water is one of the main sources of lead in the bloodstream,
    contributing 20% of total lead exposure for an average person. 5 Lead can cause severeneurological damage, particularly in children.

Radon is a tasteless, odourless, colourless radioactive gas that is produced by the
    natural breakdown of uranium found in many soils and rocks. Ingestion of radon in
    drinking water is linked to increased risk of stomach cancer.
    Bar Four likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

^^^Sydney.. you don't say much... but when you do you are usually bang on the money!
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Sydney, what do you think of water purifiers for the home? We've used one for years and I actually prefer our water, after its gotten even colder in the fridge, to most bottled water. Absolutely no cholorine smell.

We also use a TDS tester ..... explanation follows from documentation ....

"TDS Meter - Tester. The Only Way To Know If Your Reverse Osmosis RO Membrane Is Performing Correctly - Tests for TDS - Total Dissolved Solids. A Must For All RO System Owners. Compare Incoming Feed Water To Treated Water - Replace Membrane If Less Than 80% of TDS Is Being Removed - Total dissolved solids (TDS) are the total weight of all solids (minerals, salts or metals) that are dissolved in a given volume of water expressed in milligrams per liter (mg/L), or in parts per million (PPM). The lower the TDS level in the water, the more efficiently your body's cells actually get hydrated by the water that you drink. The higher the TDS levels in the water, the greater the probability of harmful contaminants that can pose health risks or hinder the absorption of water molecules on the cellular level. 17 PPM of TDS = 1 grain of hardness. Highly efficient and accurate due to its advanced microprocessor technology. Hold Function: saves measurements for convenient reading and recording. Auto-off function: the meter shuts off automatically after 10 minutes of non-use to conserve batteries. Measurement Range: 0-9990ppm. From 0-999ppm, the resolution is in increments of 1ppm. From 1,000 to 9,990ppm, the resolution is in increments of 10ppm, indicated by a blinking 'x10' image. Display: large and easy-to-read LCD screen. Factory Calibrated: recalibration is not necessary, but can be done easily with a watch screwdriver. There's no need for messy solutions to initially calibrate the meter. Range: 0 - 9990ppm (mg/L) Accuracy: +/- 2% ATC: Built-in sensor for Automatic Temperature Compensation of 1 to 50 degrees Celsius (33 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit) Power source: 2 x 1.5V button cell batteries (included) Battery life: over 1,000 hours of continuous use Dimensions: 14 x 2.3 x 1.5cm (5.5 x .9 x .55 inches) Weight: 32g (1.13 oz) Simple to use for Reverse Osmosis membrane monitoring. Measure the incoming water and the RO water. Divide the larger number into the smaller number and subtract that decimal from 1. The resulting decimal is the percent of TDS that the membrane is removing. We really like this tester and think that anyone who wants to know about the quality of their water should have one of these TDS Meter Testers."
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Sydney, what do you think of water purifiers for the home? We've used one for years and I actually prefer our water, after its gotten even colder in the fridge, to most bottled water. Absolutely no cholorine smell.

We also use a TDS tester ..... explanation follows from documentation ....
    A good quality filter i think can work ok but it would vary depending on what city you are in. My mother sent me one from NZ many years ago and she was getting 12 months out of teh filter before having to change it, i tried to use it here n Sydney and after 3 months the filter was shot and the water was coming out all milky. So i threw it out and went back to the pure water delivered to my door

There are many different types of filters, reverse osmosis probably being the best, the problem with proper reverse osmosis is that if is working proplerly it would take about 1 hour to fill a small bottle. Although i am not up to date with some of the new types and maybe there is something better on teh market now days.

The plant i went to visit for my last supply of pure water showed me there filter they used for purifaction. This filter was about the size of my house, and cost $50,000 dollars to replace, I would be surprised if any under the sink home filter could compete with this monster although this is realitive to quantity output.

My current supplier of pure water state that there water is so pure that a newborn baby can drink their water without having to boil it...

The TDS tester is a good way to check your water......and certainly the home filters effectiveness is dependant on teh city you live in... Sydney tap water... forget it

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I agree with all you have said Sydney.
    It is strange going from Townsville to my sister's place in Sydney, your right it taste and smell's different to here.

I think our north Qld water is pretty good, and we don't have copper pipes, so less residue.

I reciently did a 6 week stint at Bowen, just 3 hrs down the coast, and it was like being back in LOS, no one drinks tap water, always bottled. the tap was brown and stank.

I am sure your right about the health benfits of pure water, and benificial over someones life, me I have already drunk so much s.hit over my life there is no way of reversing it.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Good posts Sydney .... interesting food for thought alright ... our bodies are made up of 70% water and that every single chemical reaction in our body takes place in water

Interested to hear your thoughts on where rainwater sits on the purity scale...

Also what do you drink when you travel to LOS? .... I know I cut down my water intake when there but beer does eventually need to be mixed with something else.

Enjoy.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Good posts Sydney .... interesting food for thought alright ... our bodies are made up of 70% water and that every single chemical reaction in our body takes place in water

Interested to hear your thoughts on where rainwater sits on the purity scale...

Also what do you drink when you travel to LOS? .... I know I cut down my water intake when there but beer does eventually need to be mixed with something else.

Enjoy.
    We really should ask a mod to mover the last several posts to Level 1 so everyone can read it and add, because i have totally ambushed G4's important thread here, and i don't feel good about doing that !!

Yeah Rainwater i find interesting and ties in with the way my supplier purifies their water...essentially the evaporated water from the earths surface and atmosphere that ends up as condensation in the clouds is perfect H2O.... pure as...the problem, as we know is when the rain has to fall back down through our polluted air. So drinking quantities of rainwater collected from a smog laden city like Sydney i reckon is not a good idea. I guess in theory if you are collecting it whilst shipwrecked on a remote island you could be drinking some fairy pure water.....

Having said this i still reckon Sydney's rainwater could still be better for you then the tap water because it won't contain, chlorine, fluoride, aluminium, copper, lead (maybe lead from the air), pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers , nitrates and parasites that are resistant to chlorine.

Not sure if anyone remembers or knew about the Giardia Lamblia and Cryptosporidium parasites that were found in Sydney's drinking water in 1998. Heaps of people were getting sick, going to hospital with chronic stomach illness's, diarrhea....it went on for weeks and everyone was told to boil their water before drinking it. This effected the whole of Sydney City and the water supply. ..the only way to stop these parasites living in our water supply is to kill them with Chlorine much the same as you do with a swimming pool.....the problem being is that the Prospect Water Reserve is a friggin big swimming pool to maintain...

Now you can't tell me that from time to time Giardia Lamblia and Cryptosporidium hasn't reared its ugly head again and the water company has being aware of it with their testing but the public never heard about it... in fact if you do a search on it you can actually find that it is still present in the water supply today but the Sydney Catchment Authority just calls it LOW LEVELS of Giardia Lamblia and Cryptosporidium...next time someone you know has bad diarrhea and they are blaming the food they ate or a bug the picked up don't let them forget to add the water they drunk into the possible equation.

And i am sure this issue is just NOT limited to the Sydney Water Supply....Any where there is a big body of water sitting around not doing much, you are going to get parasites and living microorganisms.

This is just another reason i don't drink tap water, Parasites in your body are a major drain of energy....we already have enough of them in us....i don't want Giardia Lamblia and Cryptosporidium grabbing a ride as well !!

I could ramble on about water for ages and i have heaps of other interesting water related tib bits as well....555555555...anyone use a plastic kettle ? pop the lid and have a look at the inside of it ? Brown stains? not if you are using pure water!!

Maybe chat about Thailand's water soon....and that's interesting as well....JK's family doesn't drink the tap water in Bangkok...is that the norm?

Please MOD move from #30 on......is that possible wabs?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    As requested i have moved these posts to a Googleable area and can continue the water talks here

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Interested to hear if you are often sick Sydney ? Shouldnt our immune system be stronger if it is required to battle off all the nasties.

Surly indirectly you are still consuming tap water, like when you wash vegies, doing dishes, having a shower etc
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Interested to hear if you are often sick Sydney ? Shouldnt our immune system be stronger if it is required to battle off all the nasties.

Surly indirectly you are still consuming tap water, like when you wash vegies, doing dishes, having a shower etc
    Do get the yearly cold that lasts about a week, and mainly just a runny nose.....never anything that puts me to bed.....however this year i have not had anything...not sure why....For the last 10 years i have worked ridiculous hours at my business...like i am talking12 to 16 hours days..100+ hour weeks......getting home at 2.00 am in the morning...i have flogged myself and can definitely say that without my 8 -10 whole food suppliements there is no way i could get up in the morning.

Yes can't avoid the tap water for everything......you know long hot showers ( which i love) is really bad...something can be said for short cold showers..

Yes when you are 1st born putting some stress on the immune system is not a bad thing to build up the immunities...but as we get older putting stress on the immune system, all that does is cost us energy and strain an already overloaded system that has being fighting for us since day 1.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    ^^^Stress the real killer!
    Good thread Syd.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    In Perth, our water can smell bad, so I guess they are even skimping on the chlorine. We use a candle type filter for all the water we drink including tea and coffee. However the bad smelling water can still be transmitted to the cup through washing which ruins the whole exercise.
    It is a fact that ground water is being added to our drinking water and I shudder to think what could be contained in that, but the evidence is in the orange colored filter unit.

I do remember not so long ago when Sydney had an outbreak of deadly crypto spur indium in its piped water supply. So I'm not surprised that the OP uses only well filtered water.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Geez Sydney.... woke up this morning after a relatively large session last night, dry as a nun's nasty made my way to the kitchen for a glass of water.... All I could think of was this thread, declined using the tap and went for the kettle!...

Just a side note... Last winter I was visiting some friends and was offered a cuppa, It had the strangest taste to it... Leanne turned to me and asked me if my coffee tasted like rubber, I had another sip and sure enough that was the taste... Her husband Chris walked in as we were talking about it... "oh that will be the hot water bottle"... He was recycling the water from the kids hot water bottles every night back into the kettle!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Geez Sydney.... woke up this morning after a relatively large session last night, dry as a nun's nasty made my way to the kitchen for a glass of water.... All I could think of was this thread, declined using the tap and went for the kettle!...

Just a side note... Last winter I was visiting some friends and was offered a cuppa, It had the strangest taste to it... Leanne turned to me and asked me if my coffee tasted like rubber, I had another sip and sure enough that was the taste... Her husband Chris walked in as we were talking about it... "oh that will be the hot water bottle"... He was recycling the water from the kids hot water bottles every night back into the kettle!
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    In Perth, our water can smell bad, so I guess they are even skimping on the chlorine. We use a candle type filter for all the water we drink including tea and coffee. However the bad smelling water can still be transmitted to the cup through washing which ruins the whole exercise.
    It is a fact that ground water is being added to our drinking water and I shudder to think what could be contained in that, but the evidence is in the orange colored filter unit.

I do remember not so long ago when Sydney had an outbreak of deadly crypto spur indium in its piped water supply. So I'm not surprised that the OP uses only well filtered water.
    Water is not the best here QLD water was maybe a little better but none of it is good.
    We have the same filter as you C1 and not long it is already changing colour!!

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    We have the same filter as you C1 and not long it is already changing colour!!
    Put you filter aside and give Refresh Water a call....funny thing the head office is in Perth

Refresh Pure Water - Largest producer of pure drinking water

Perth - Head Office (08) 92487222

There is a $10.00 deposit on each bottle, maybe ask what the minimum delivery is, i normally get 4 bottles at a time so 1st delievry would be about $80.00 becuase of the deposit for the bottles.

You just need to get some sort of pourer,,,,or even 1st use a funnel and bottle for the fridge

Try it for a month.......you will never turn back

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    This thread got me thinking alright so much so that my drinking water for the last two weeks has been PureAu and I don't expect that will change ... I have seen the light!
    Noble's PureauŽ - The Pureau process

You can certainly taste and detect the difference from tap water.
    After a week I could only drink the pure water from a glass - plastic cups seemed to taint the water.

Great stuff to purge the body after a night of excessive excess.
    Best thing for me is that I have replaced my Diet Coke habit (minimum of three cans a day) with a pure water habit.

Thanks for the info Sydney.

Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

This thread got me thinking alright so much so that my drinking water for the last two weeks has been PureAu and I don't expect that will change ... I have seen the light!

After a week I could only drink the pure water from a glass - plastic cups seemed to taint the water.

Best thing for me is that I have replaced my Diet Coke habit (minimum of three cans a day) with a pure water habit.

Enjoy
    That's fantastic Minder...and looks like a good quality water too...

Yeah plastic cups is a no no fro sure.......you can't beat the glass...and its nice cold but drinking it at room temp when you can is a very good idea as well

3 cokes a day!!...your body will be loving the new liquid....and you have probably found that the pure water isn't costing you that much more, or even less then the coke habit..and other then the health benefits we ultimately drink liquid to quench our thirst which is why i reckon pure water is such good value.......because unlike the fizzy drinks..... water actually works.

i have a heap of other health info (supplements and tricks) that i have learned and practised over the last 20 years, that i would love to share......just can''t find the time at the moment to get it posted.

Anyone else use or heard of "Psyllium Husk".......or "Manuka Honey"

I have a real effective one for anyone who suffers from heartburn or reflux....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Isnt Psyllium husk a fibre supplement?
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar

Enjoy
    This is for all but minder you mentioned Diet Coke, Sydney this is totally new thread of its own, But in respone to Minders comment about Diet Coke, and i know that he is probaly up with the following. Ever noticed how Fat people drink diet coke by the gallon???

Long story short but start Spot dropped by a mosquito 9 months, nearly dies, blah blah... Next minute Spot looks Like bubble boy 120 kgs... Naturopat?h says what do you drink at night and during the day? Bubble boy says diet decafienated Coke and when I drink its Scotch added to the diet gear..

Naturpath says Keep the Scotch but ditch the Diet crap and use brewed ginger beer as the mixer, it will save your liver and you will lose weight. Yep witchdoctors OK, so I ditch the diet gear and lose 30 kg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast