Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Song Kran in Thailand for G4orce

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Talking Song Kran in Thailand for G4orce

So the new roster has been put in place at work and my leave has been approved. Now I can start planning my next trip to LOS

Looks liek I will be leaving AUS on the 11th or 12th of April and will head straight to Udon Thani to spend Song Kran with Noy and her family. I have never celebrated Song Kran in Thailand before let alone with the inlaws so i was wondering if there were any Cultual things I shoudl be careful of/look out for? I have been pre-warned to bring eye drops as the water can cause some issues with eyes that are not used to the Thai water as well as to leave electronics in a water tight container.

As well as being in LOS for Song Kran I will be seeing a few more places as I will nearly be there for 4 weeks. I would like to see Ayuttaya and possibly Sukhothai. I will be spending a week of the trip in Patong but the rest is unplanned for the moment. Other possible places to see would be Hua Hin, Mae Hong Son, Pai, Pattaya(most likely not) Koh Chang. Any recommendations that could help me choose where to go? Hotels, places to see would be handy also. Would you need more then a day trip to see Ayuttaya? Or would it be recommended to spend a night there? Is Sukhothai worth seeing or should I skip there?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Be aware of the traffic (Absolute Crazy Time) if you are taking the road to Udon Thani from Bkk. Take a plane but book early. Consider going a few days earlier if possible.

How long will you be staying?
    singhma likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

I am looking into flights now as they are still rather cheap. I will be hiring a car (which i hope to book very soon) and drivng to Noy's Village. I am hoping Noy will meet me at the airport to direct me. I can't get into Udon any earlier then the 12th so I am leaving it to the last minute really, but should be able to manage. I think Noy only wants to be there for the days of Song Kran then move on. So will probably leave Udon on the 16th or 17th and head onto the next part of the trip.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    So G4 , have I missed something, how is relations with MIL these days, as you are off to visit.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

singhma
    G4orce..the traffic is horrendous...the busiest time of the year..bumper to bumper..if you are driving try and get Noy to get a bus to BKK as you can keep of the main drag and use alternate routes...or you fly to Udon and rent car from there.
    We always leave at 2 am to go to BKK..and same when leave from BKK..less traffic..less police.and road blocks.
    Always we keep 4 x 100 baht notes in centre consol..(sorry I don't know if you have driven in Thai much..) for tea money if pulled over..
    Its lots of fun and the family cook and sell lots of our catfish(BBQ) and make good earnings on those days..

Cheers
    Singhma

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    So G4 , have I missed something, how is relations with MIL these days, as you are off to visit.
    There was an update on that somewhere, but all is good now. Noy finally got on to her on New Years day after a good few calls trying to find out where she was. She turned around and said sorry to Noy and Myself for everything

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Gary, if I had to choose between Ayuttaya and Sukhothai, I would choose Sukhothai ... I would just not to do it with an angry Thai girl next time! 555

You cannot see all of Ayuttaya in one day, but you can cover most of the highlights. It all depends on how many "wats" you want to see, as in one day you will see dozens. After a while they all begin to look much the same. Also, if you have previously ridden an elephant, skip the ones in Ayutthaya, as they were pretty much a waste of time. You spend an hour slowly plodding down the side of a road, and then plodding slowly back. It was Nui's first time on an elephant, so it was fun from that perspective, but otherwise not a big deal. Depending on your budget, there are a lot of group tours to be had right in Ayutthaya, or you could spend a bit more and book a private tour .... I won't even bother to tell you which one I think is best! 555

For touring Sukhothai, you could stay at the Grand Riverside in Phitsanulok, and if you do that, then you could also take Noy over to see Wat Yai, and Thailand's most beautiful Buddha, which she would love you for! Otherwise, if you are just wanting to see Sukhothai, you could stay in new Sukhothai, which is only about 15kms from the park, and stay in any number of very reasonable hotels there. Most are smaller and of the boutique variety, and I am sure could arrange a cattle tour for you, or even set up a private tour.

I think its wise to avoid Patts with Noy, as I had so many people both here and on PI tell me I was crazy to plan to go there with Nui. I am really looking forward to seeing Hua Hin and area tho, as I've heard so many great things about that area.

Sounds like you are going to have a GREAT trip, and I really hope you and Noy have a wonderful time!

Oh, as a final thought, check out the Thai express trains, as they are a very relaxing and inexpensive way to get around the country.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Thanks for that VG. Noy has said she wants to get to Sukhothai and I personally wanted to go to Ayutthaya so but tned to agree with you in saying all the temples will start to look alike after a little bit. I think Sukhothai could be a go and like the idea of staying in Phitsanulok as Noy did say she wants to go there. How far from there is the park? I was thinking Patts is a no go but I am still keeping it on my list of things to do in the future. People keep telling me about these trains I might have to look into it. I am not a fan of extended travel ie trains, buses, long car trips etc but You only live once...

Bridge over the River Kwai, worth while seeing? How long you think you would need to see there? I have seen a few days tours, would that be enough?

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Thanks for that VG. Noy has said she wants to get to Sukhothai and I personally wanted to go to Ayutthaya so but tned to agree with you in saying all the temples will start to look alike after a little bit. I think Sukhothai could be a go and like the idea of staying in Phitsanulok as Noy did say she wants to go there. How far from there is the park? I was thinking Patts is a no go but I am still keeping it on my list of things to do in the future. People keep telling me about these trains I might have to look into it. I am not a fan of extended travel ie trains, buses, long car trips etc but You only live once...

Bridge over the River Kwai, worth while seeing? How long you think you would need to see there? I have seen a few days tours, would that be enough?
    I have not done the Bridge on the River Kwai trip, but I know someone on here recently posted a short TR about it, but can't remember who. Would Noy really relate to that tho?

Phitanulok is about 60km from Sukhothai, and that is why I used it as a base, rather then stay in new Sukhothai town, as that way I could do both Sukhothai and Wat Yai. The town itself is pretty, but not spectacular, and not as nice as Chiang Mai, altho I think Noy would like it there, as the River runs right through town. The Grand Riverside is perhaps the nicest hotel I have stayed at in Thailand, especially for the price, even tho there is not much English spoken around those parts. Let me know if you need contact info for them or for Pond, from the hotel, who helped set up our private Sukhothai tour. 3,000 baht for AC car and driver, and our guide met us at the park itself.

Here is the main differences between the Ayutthaya and Sukhothai that I found.

Ayutthaya is spread over a vast area, and you often drive between parts of the town to get from site to site. Sukhothai is far more condensed, and is 15 kms from any town. There is a reason for this, for when the King of Ayutthaya conquered Sukhothai (diplomatically), he ordered Sukhothai to be completely abandoned. Under the supervision of his soliers, this order was completely obeyed, as the residents moved the 15 km's to the site of the new town, and over the years the jungle completely overgrew the old.

Ayutthaya is a conquered city, and the Burmese army not only looted most of the great treasures, they also torched most of the major buildings. There is a rough, unfinished look to most of Ayutthaya's buildings. This is not to say that they are not still breathtakingly beautiful, but they are not as pristine as those at Sukhothai. Sukhothai on the other hand was never conquered militarily, but was abandoned and swallowed by the jungle, which was much kinder to the buildings. When Sukhothai was discovered, it was just a matter of hacking away the jungle to discover basically what we have today.

Ayutthaya

Sukhothai

As to trains, the thing I liked about them is that they are so relaxing. Bring your own food, and a blanket is a very good idea as the AC was a bit on the frigid side.

A absolute great site for Thailand train travel (actually world train travel) is http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm, which has fully updated schedules, including what the features of each train are, such as whether it has air conditioning, sleeper cars, dining car, etc.
    Last edited by vanguy77; 18th January 2012 at 15:14.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    There was an update on that somewhere, but all is good now. Noy finally got on to her on New Years day after a good few calls trying to find out where she was. She turned around and said sorry to Noy and Myself for everything
    Good to hear mate.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Looking at Flights and for the time I wanted to arrive in BKK I have to use AirAsia and they are pretty reasonably prices but I had a couple questions. I was looking at flight and the Melb to BKK flight (stopover in KL) costs $474 with the Hot seats and Luggage while if you were to book Melb - KL then KL to BKK the total including Hot Seat and Luggage is only $432. Both have the 3.5 hour stop over in KL so if it worth my while to book the 2 flights to save a little cash as i would be able to kill some time collecting bags and checking in again. Or is it a better option paying a little extra for the convienience of the not having to double handle my luggage? I have only used the AA Airport once so not sure how it works and if it will take forever to collect bags and check in again.

Any Advice?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I thought that AA now transfer your luggage if you have a connecting flight with them in KL, saves re-checking your luggage in.... but if you have to pay extra for the service then why bother... not much else to do at KLIA and the times I have been it's a pretty quick process as they have no customs checking through your luggage!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I thought that AA now transfer your luggage if you have a connecting flight with them in KL, saves re-checking your luggage in.... but if you have to pay extra for the service then why bother... not much else to do at KLIA and the times I have been it's a pretty quick process as they have no customs checking through your luggage!
    I think it is only more expensive for the "Connecting flight" option as the Melb to KL is a Promo price

Is a Visa Required for Malaysia?
    Last edited by G4orce; 19th January 2012 at 12:15.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Gary, for $40 when you have so much time to kill in a very boring place, I would book the 2 different flights. This will also allow you to wander around, whereas going the transistion will have you locked in the one room for the 3hrs.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I think it is only more expensive for the "Connecting flight" option as the Melb to KL is a Promo price

Is a Visa Required for Malaysia?
    It's the same deal as Thailand.... no visa for a short stay
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    G4orce, is Noy from Udon or district?
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

I can recommend Koh Chang. It has a large range of accommodation from the remote to the party type places. If you have a car you can catch the car ferry across and go and check out the accommodation. I go her once a year Plenty to do if you wish and plenty not to do but relax and recharge. Min of 4 nights here or it is not worth the journey to the island. If you are on a shorter schedule. Go to Koh Samet same same but very much more condensed. Do not expect Koh Sumi at both these "icelands"
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    G4orce, is Noy from Udon or district?
    She is from Udon Thani. Her house is 30 min Drive out of the city

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    I can recommend Koh Chang. It has a large range of accommodation from the remote to the party type places. If you have a car you can catch the car ferry across and go and check out the accommodation. I go her once a year Plenty to do if you wish and plenty not to do but relax and recharge. Min of 4 nights here or it is not worth the journey to the island. If you are on a shorter schedule. Go to Koh Samet same same but very much more condensed. Do not expect Koh Sumi at both these "icelands"
    I did not liek Koh Samui, Though it was pretty boring to be honest. Thats why I worry about the islands, not a fan of Phi Phi Islands either. A day there is plenty for me

I did not liek Koh Samui, Though it was pretty boring to be honest. Thats why I worry about the islands, not a fan of Phi Phi Islands either. A day there is plenty for me
    Depends on what you want to do. Sit on a nice beach & read a book. Rent a bike and go for an explore. Go sailing, diving or fishing. My personal favourite is the pool bar. Trying different resorts to eat at and finding different people from all over the world to talk to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast