Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Sydney
  • 2 Post By Minder
  • 1 Post By Spot

Thread: Inspiration from elderly people

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar

Inspiration from elderly people

DP and i had some banter a couple of weeks back about getting inspiration from people older then us that are still doing amazing things.

So i am dedicating this thread for any one to add video or pictures about Inspirational Elderly People.

Starting with this one............71 year climbing 1200 stairs in Thailand

Quarky and Spot like this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    pa_ww1b.JPG

Does this count?

My grandfather returned from 4 years on the Western Front of the First World War, married and stayed married to the girl up the road for over 50 years.

When I was learning French early in High School I was surprised by his fluency in the language - thanks to his instruction I can, to this day say, "Would you like to come for a walk with me?" and "Do you have a sister?" in French. Useful phrases for a young soldier when pulled back from the line into rural France it later occurred to me.

Should a grandchild of mine ever study Thai, I can probably be of equal assistance - I wonder though if one day that child will realise also that grandad, despite his later fidelity to the love of his life, was something of a monger first.

Enjoy.
    Sydney and Spot like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    I think Grandad Webster would have had a hard time getting any lady to understand him. I couldn't understand a bloody word until I was about 8. He joined the Army as a boy Soldier and was in the Gordon highlanders, short stint with the Black Watch who he said were muderers and buggerers, and Seaforth Highlanders.

WW1 he never said much about but after went to India. He told of standing guard at a fort on the plains and how he kept passing out with the heat, so they sent him up to the Kyber Pass (made me laugh as a kid with what the Scots did to frighten off the bad guys in "Carry on Up the Kyber")

The ship is the one he went back to Scotland on from India through the Suez Canal. Nothing doing at home in Forfar - Dundee Scotland so he jumped a ship and landed in Perth Wa in about 1923.

He spent WW2 with the Oz Army as a training Coporal and then Cook.

He retired from the Oz Army aged 52 (My Age in 12 days) He still held the OZ army record for one armed chin-ups.

Had 8 children all pictured together for the last time before they started to die off with a small percentage of grand, great and great great grandkids below. He died in 87 age 88. I still wonder what his eyes had seen... and wish he could have afforded a camera.

Jock on right with best mate.

Jock bottom Left smoking

Home to Scotland 1922

Jock seated under "Dad" in Oz Army

He left his mark
    Last edited by Spot; 4th March 2012 at 13:31.
    Cilla likes this.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    anyone who fought in those 2 wars was more then inspiration............brave, selfless, many things beyond what we would do or even be capable of now days.....
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    anyone who fought in those 2 wars was more then inspiration............brave, selfless, many things beyond what we would do or even be capable of now days.....
    You are dead Right Sydney, we are their legacy, perhaps that's why i don't tolerate those whingers with self inflicted wounds (now I am strong again).

I also draw some comparisons with what that generation went through and how they put family first and money in its rightful place. My Grandmother and Jock had the biggest vegie garden, milking cow and nanny goat, chooks, ducks, geese, raspberry vines, apple trees, plumb trees Citrus etc, enough land to fatten weiners and lambs. They bought or barterred tea sugar and flour, and Jocks tobacco, lived on rabbits and wallaby stew during the depression. But thier children all had school uniforms and blasers and i have some uncles and aunties who were taken in becuse they could not be taken care of by thier own parents....

Sound a liitle bit familiar?? Hint maybe todays Thai's?

I forgot to mention my Dad now 76 but when seventy let me breathing like the guy in the video when up to Feathertop from Harrietville and back in the same day...

Good thread Sydney
    Last edited by Spot; 4th March 2012 at 21:00.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

DP and i had some banter a couple of weeks back about getting inspiration from people older then us that are still doing amazing things.

So i am dedicating this thread for any one to add video or pictures about Inspirational Elderly People.

Those steps would be great to train with! Impressive though the way he whizzed up them... and also his Grandpa did a pretty good job filming him while walking backwards up there... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

Your video Sydney, reminded me of this, sorry to take the seriousness of the post away, but good proof the mind is willing, but the body isn't with older people.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese