Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Its official - Drinking kills - Are you going on the waggon?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Its official - Drinking kills - Are you going on the waggon?

So, out of the blue today the government "Announces" that drinking is equally dangerous to your health as smoking, and even breathing in asbestos fibres.

I used to smoke years back, don't really miss it all that much now, and it seems like a daft habit to take up with all those scary images on the packs.

I have had some jobs early in the piece where asbestos could have been around too.
    Wouldn't really expect to be exposed to that today though.

So why is it that its only now we are being told it is so dangerous?
    Apparently much of the research being relied upon was done 25 years ago.
    I would have liked to have known just how dangerous it was THEN so I could have had a fair opportunity to give it up. Just think, there would be no alcohol advertising, you would buy liquor in brown paper bags. (Oops, methinks weve been there), and pubs would be like speakeasy's. There would be a zero blood alcohol driving limit everywhere and you would be fined for drinking in a public place, when pregnant, or in front of your kids.

I really don't go for TV advertising campaigns anymore, ever since the grim reaper failed to knock over me, the wife and all the kids in that bowling alley.

So what kind of a world are we left with after the fun police have had their way?

How long before the no more than two standard drinks "Safe" limit is reduced to zero, for your own good? Even now you are supposed to re-think that second beer, or second glass of wine PER DAY!

We are being told that alcohol is a "Grade one carcinogen" in a way that is designed to scare us into becoming teetotal.

Remember the anti smoking campaign? "Every cigarette is doing you harm"

If the demon drink is so bad, why weren't we told? Or are they really just taking the social engineering agenda to new heights?

By the same token, why have all the asbestosis victims had such a hard time getting compensation from James Hardie?

Should I consider sueing my local, publican for selling me poison? Or only after he offers me a refill?

$$$$$$$$$

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

I wish I knew how evil the sun was when I was a kid too!

As for drink... I learnt pretty quick how evil it was from the effects on my dad when I was a kid... hence I don't drink much myself... once bitten... twice shy...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I wish I knew how evil the sun was when I was a kid too!

As for drink... I learnt pretty quick how evil it was from the effects on my dad when I was a kid... hence I don't drink much myself... once bitten... twice shy...
    So agree with you DP.
    The medical concerns of alcohol have been known for years same a smoking. The social peoblems were always swept under the carpet. I too remember my Dad and Mums problem with it and the end result for their marriage and children. I too don't drink much myself and want to keep it that way.
    My marriage was the same, my ex wife turned herself into and alcoholic to the point she was stealing money to pay for it. The worst thing was that there was no help for her, also she refused to admit she had a problem hence no help. This went on for years and years till after the kids were grown and gone till I had had enough. I sit back today in hindsight, did I do the right thing, could I have done more. Funny, both her Brothers are alcoholics and as was her Dad and both his other Brothers as well, I remember one of her Aunts telling me one day that she used to follow her Husband to work in the mornings to make sure he went to work and not the early opener. So is alcoholism inherited from your genes or is it taught??? Another thread topic I think.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not a bleeding heart do gooder and I am not a square. I enjoy a beer the same as everyone else but not to the extremes as some. Each to their own as long as it doesn't destroy other peoples lives.
    Some of you guys out there used to be police and firemen and ambos, what have you guys seen as a result of the alcohol ?????

Maybe some of the answer is the drinking age, can anyone tell me in Oz why the law was changed ????? I know why, I just want to see if others know....
    Last edited by Cilla; 28th March 2012 at 05:39. Reason: mis spelling
    Quarky likes this.

^Interesting thoughts Cilla. There could be a theory that it's not an alcoholic gene that is responsible but rather an addictive gene. Dad was/is an alcoholic... and smoker... and cancer survivor, but has an addictive personality, which I think is responsible for his drinking and smoking career. None of us kids drink much. In fact my brother is allergic to all alcohol. I drink only very occasionally... maybe once a month at most. But I do have an addictive personality as do my siblings. My main obsession tends to be exercise but it has been other things during my life... some good... some bad...

So no-one disputes the proposition that alcohol is as poisonous as tobacco and asbestos?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    They are never going to stop selling it as it brings in too much money so why bother starting to warn people now...

At 26 I would say that I am not a very big drinker, When I am in Thailand That changes. I just relax and let my hair down (so to speak). When not in Thailand I will only drink on special occassions and rearly get drunk. I have alcoholic friends and have seen the way they act under the influence. I can not stand those drunks that get violent, I am a lovey/dovey drunk when i do get there so Violence is not a big issue for me and drinking. I have always known that it is not good for you and I don't mean to change the topic but I personally think that smoking weed is a better and healthier option to drinking....
    Just my 2 cents..

Interesting. I thought most people would admit to having more than one drink per day on average. But I guess its like anything, many of us are in denial about how much we really drink.

For example:

If your doctor asks how many drinks you have each day, most would say "I dont drink every day, and then its only one or two". But Doctors aren't stupid and they would translate that as "Drinking most days, maybe five or six, with a blowout most weekends".

If the police pull you over and ask if you have had a drink today, most would say "I had a beer after work, but thats it". Roughly translated... "I knocked off at four and now I'm on my way home at 6.45pm, you work it out".

Some time back I decided that I would now not get behind the wheel after drinking, even at safe legal levels and since then I never have, mostly because of the voracious attitude of police to drinking and driving. The next generation of drivers are unlikely to have the same attitudes that ours had.

Personally, I think that equating the consumption of alcohol with breathing asbestos and smoking cigarettes is overdoing it, but if you drink beer like you drink coke, you're on the right track for the brave new world.

But after all that:
    Don't have parents who have passed on negative genetic traits to you.
    Don't forget to wear sunscreen, but not so much that you get a vitamin B deficiency and die.
    Only ever have safe sex.
    And take aspirin every day, because its good for your heart, but not so much that it gives you stomach ulcers.
    And don't eat red meat, bacon, or processed smallgoods, because they are full of carcinogens.
    And dont eat too much ocean fish, because the mercury will build up in your body and kill you.
    And don't buy a house near a nuclear reactor.
    Always wear a helmet or a seatbelt.
    And if you're crossing the road.......................
    Don't forget to look both ways.
    Because if you didn't change your undies this morning and you are knocked down by a Bus on your way out, all the hospital staff will see....(Thanks Mum).
    Last edited by Changone; 28th March 2012 at 13:50.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I think we are still in the grips of many things that we consume knowing or unintentionally that will come out to be bad for us.

Some plastics for one.

"True" Addiction occurs in the primal part of the brain called the Hypothalamus. This the the part that is preprogrammed from birth in all mammals and many other animals. It triggers thirst, hunger and later on sex. The withdrawal from a substance or action this part if the brain is rewired in time. So you have a primal urge for that thing. This what makes it so hard. When your frontal lobe tells you this is wrong or it will eventually kill you your primal part is saying you need or you will feel like you will die.

For many after 2 or three drinks in the frontal lobe thinking is impaired an the addiction is self perpetuation. Ever heard someone say "He has the taste for it" we are in for a big night.

Ethanol buy it self in small amounts is not harmful. Mixed will flavornoids can even be beneficial.

Your are correct though C1 you can not put it all in the same basket. Just make sure that the basket is made from all natural organic materials.
    Quarky likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    So no-one disputes the proposition that alcohol is as poisonous as tobacco and asbestos?
    I don't dispute that....

Interesting. I thought most people would admit to having more than one drink per day on average. But I guess its like anything, many of us are in denial about how much we really drink.
    I know lots of people who do drink most days. Only one or two glasses of wine or spirits they say.... and I have watched them over the years reach middle age far quicker than they should...

Was listening to the cancer council representative on radio today trying to justify his position.
    Apparently, every drink is a risk his only rationale was that the more you drink, the bigger the risk so its a bit like anything really. They know that alcohol results in cancers but they cant say for sure which ones, or that if you drink you will get cancer and die because its the same as smoking or working with asbestos, most don't end up getting it, they still die, but from other things like heart disease and diabetes related conditions.

Still its a good way to get people's attention, "If you keep doing that, you'll get cancer".
    Stopped a lot of people from smoking anyway.

Wonder if it would work with kids? "If you keep doing that you'll go blind.......or get cancer...or go blind AND get cancer".

I think we are seeing a departure from the "Drink in moderation" mantra that we have been used to hearing.

Time to change the batteries in the smoke alarm I think.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar

Wonder if it would work with kids? "If you keep doing that you'll go blind.......or get cancer...or go blind AND get cancer".
    I think if i was to try line on on my 18 yr old son he would probably come back with the old one....yeah but i might get run over by a bus tomorrow as well ....55555
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    This is a proposition that I think is deliberately impossible to dispute as there are no clearly defined parameters to any of the comparisons ..... if I say that the Buddha was as tall as both Muhammad and Jesus ... can you prove me wrong?

Frankly I think these sensational statements do more harm than good to the arguments against alcohol consumption - crying wolf only grabs so much attention so many times before people start ignoring the warning ...

As a friend once said to me "Living causes cancer"
    Life is the unexpected ...

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

But after all that:
    Don't have parents who have passed on negative genetic traits to you.
    Don't forget to wear sunscreen, but not so much that you get a vitamin B deficiency and die.
    Only ever have safe sex.
    And take aspirin every day, because its good for your heart, but not so much that it gives you stomach ulcers.
    And don't eat red meat, bacon, or processed smallgoods, because they are full of carcinogens.
    And dont eat too much ocean fish, because the mercury will build up in your body and kill you.
    And don't buy a house near a nuclear reactor.
    Always wear a helmet or a seatbelt.
    And if you're crossing the road.......................
    Don't forget to look both ways.
    Because if you didn't change your undies this morning and you are knocked down by a Bus on your way out, all the hospital staff will see....(Thanks Mum).

After reading all these depressing comments C1 I am off for a ride on my Motorbike, hang on a minute, I will be 10 X more likely to be involved in an accident on my bike than in my car
    Changone likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    After reading all these depressing comments C1 I am off for a ride on my Motorbike, hang on a minute, I will be 10 X more likely to be involved in an accident on my bike than in my car
    Hence why after 6 years non-stop motorbike riding I retired aged 22 after one of my best friends had a bike accident and suffered severe brain damage. Much as I love riding the bikes... I just couldn't handle the risk any more... hell, I don't ride a push-bike any more for similar reasons... my padded room suits me fine...

Being a bit older I have become much more philosphical about risk and reward.
    Some things are still worth doing in spite of the risk.
    I still ride and dont really worry in advance about coming off the bike. Others around me do more than enough worrying about all that. I see on the news that someone has died of an illness or in an accident at age 40 or 50 something and think to myself ooh... lucky you and have an even better day.

Still theres crossing the road and theres crossing a busy motorway half sloshed with a blindfold on.

^I know. I agree C1. I just have become far more gutless as I age... 555. I was in and out of hospital so many times as youngster, hit by cars as a pedestrian, coming off bikes, breaking bones etc. But I don't know what happened... somewhere along the way I lost my nerve to do anything I perceived as dangerous... My mum tells me now I used to have nightmares about tsunamis when I was 5! And I do have a great fear of the sea now... I am the anti-Christ of fun... 555

^I know. I agree C1. I just have become far more gutless as I age... 555. I was in and out of hospital so many times as youngster, hit by cars as a pedestrian, coming off bikes, breaking bones etc. But I don't know what happened... somewhere along the way I lost my nerve to do anything I perceived as dangerous... My mum tells me now I used to have nightmares about tsunamis when I was 5! And I do have a great fear of the sea now... I am the anti-Christ of fun... 555
    The bold bit. Where does that come from at age 5??

Any thoughts? Past life. Dao says to me that we together already different time before.

I discount it as soul mate hoop la. But have an open mind. Possibly crossing of energies and matter.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    The bold bit. Where does that come from at age 5??

Any thoughts? Past life. Dao says to me that we together already different time before.

I discount it as soul mate hoop la. But have an open mind. Possibly crossing of energies and matter.
    Not sure if from a previous life.... but we had some sort of encyclopaedia with photos of a Tsunami in it... and apparently I was obsessed with the size of the wave... and I used to sleepwalk saying we must get away from the "tidal wave" as I called it then...

Paradoxically I used to love the sea as a kid... though I always used to look at the horizon and imagine Tsunamis from a young age... but then I used to have night mares about planes crashing too... I'm just full of fun ideas...

I do believe I was on the Earth or somewhere before I was born though... I feel like I have been around forever... not 40 odd years...
    jontymate likes this.

Not sure if from a previous life.... but we had some sort of encyclopaedia with photos of a Tsunami in it... and apparently I was obsessed with the size of the wave... and I used to sleepwalk saying we must get away from the "tidal wave" as I called it then...

Paradoxically I used to love the sea as a kid... though I always used to look at the horizon and imagine Tsunamis from a young age... but then I used to have night mares about planes crashing too... I'm just full of fun ideas...

I do believe I was on the Earth or somewhere before I was born though... I feel like I have been around forever... not 40 odd years...

I have a constant urge for the sea. I do not know where that comes from. To be in open ocean. To navigate at night. Dao will not set foot on our ocean going boat. But happy to go in the rivers and Estuaries in the tinny to get prawns and crab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast