Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Food expense question

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar

Food expense question

okay okay jk has being wanting me to ask this question for ages.......god knows why....but anyway here we go

how much does evryone spend a week on food including takeaway, grocery shopping , lunchs, coffees., the lot

Us its normally a $200 weekly shop, this includes all breakfast, lunch ( at work) dinners and the usual household items, cleaning stuff etc....ohh and our work cupachinos as well. the would average for 3 adults.....i have my 2 kids every 2nd week , so a average of 3 adults.

then we might spend another $50 a week in bits and pieces.

Takeaway only $20 a week

Dining out a big fat $ 0......do have a mate who owns a restaurant. so eat there free sometimes

So at the most $270 a week for 3 adults although less some weeks depending what we are doing, but never more then $270 so lets say $90 per person per week which i think is not bad for EVERYTHING

To do this calc you have to be honest with youself,pub meals, coffees, takeaway lunches, toilet paper from the gas station becuase you are desperate...5555555

So can anyone help me quiet jk, its not a comparsion for her, she is just generally interested in what farangs spend on food etc....and some on her forum talk about $500 a week !!! wtf ?
    Last edited by Sydney; 26th July 2012 at 20:51.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I would say around or even below the $200 mark..... We now have a set menu that caters for the kids and most of that food we buy from the markets.
    We don't eat out that often and like you we eat at a friends restaurant so it makes it cheap. The only time things blow out a bit is if we go shopping around lunch time at one of the big shopping complex's and we buy the kids some junk food.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

You're talking Australia .... wrong section!

Crikey, we barely spend that much in a MONTH!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

PBB you are probably then around the same as us if we equate that my kis. eat like adults, in fact more then me....i think yours are younger?......mine are 19 and 15......the 15 yr old is nearly 6 foot and fast approaching 90 kg so eats like a horse....this change of his food habits all happened is the last 2-3 years so big difference between 12 and 15

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    You're talking Australia .... wrong section!

Crikey, we barely spend that much in a MONTH!
    No keen to hear all expenses from all countries...espiecally the UK even los ....

We budget for ~ 15k baht per month for all food and household stuff, tissues, soap, etc. I think actual food spend is less than 10k.

We eat extremely well, mainly home cooked which is often more expensive but at least we know what goes in it! Weetbix @ 178 bt per 750g pack; English bacon 77bt/125g & eggs 2.3 bt each; pork chops roasted in Dijon mustard crust with fetta/olive hydro-lettuce salad... etc.

Eating out in Th is inexpensive compared with West but we like fresh home-cooked! Must admit to enjoying Curry Nights frozen meals at times ... 160 bt a pack and feeds 2 of us, easy!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    We budget for ~ 15k baht per month for all food and household stuff, tissues, soap, etc. I think actual food spend is less than 10k.

We eat extremely well, mainly home cooked which is often more expensive but at least we know what goes in it! Weetbix @ 178 bt per 750g pack; English bacon 77bt/125g & eggs 2.3 bt each; pork chops roasted in Dijon mustard crust with fetta/olive hydro-lettuce salad... etc.

Eating out in Th is inexpensive compared with West but we like fresh home-cooked! Must admit to enjoying Curry Nights frozen meals at times ... 160 bt a pack and feeds 2 of us, easy!
    That sounds more then i thought it would be..

500 oz a month .......say $60 per week per person compares to my 90 person .... the sounds a lot KR....have i got that right? you budget doesnt include beer does it.55555

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    That sounds more then i thought it would be..

500 oz a month .......say $60 per week per person compares to my 90 person .... the sounds a lot KR....have i got that right? you budget doesnt include beer does it.55555
    Box of beer @ 400 baht = less than 3k per month. Yes, included in monthly essentials like toilet paper, soap cleaning products.

Rent/power/water = 11k per month all incl her in condo but will increase by 2k with move to house as we'll have 'net + Truevisions Gold pack to pay on top. Car and m/b costs sfa, maybe 1.5k per month in fuel, used locally.
    Cheers, Rob.

I don't think food and petrol cost is much cheaper in Th, but rent certainly is!
    Cheers, Rob.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Our basics is not overly expensive 80 to 120 for food 60 for drinks wine and beer though not much beer these days.
    About 50 for take away on a big week inc coffees.
    40 for lunches aprox.
    But if we go out for breaky or dim sum 50 to 60 easy.

Thailand 500 oz for a full month for food in BKK far less up country.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    What beer do ya get at 400 a case?
    My Singha is 700 a case , and that at the off license.
    I grabbed a box at Big C the other day and asked 'Tao Rai?" ( How much ?) and she opens the case and multiplys one bottle swipe by 24!
    Came out at 768!
    Half a case a week at least goes on Thai visitors.....

I would guess we arent much cheaper than Syds... we must be near $200 a week or I for the life of me dunno where $600 a week goes. ( Rents $100 p.w , elec the only extra at $15.)
    I love wine , bye bye 600 baht ( take away) for anything digestable.
    We eat out twice a week , and when an old mate was here we were spending 300 each on lunch a day at Surin Beach.... I had ta give up me deck chair! 55

The irony is that eating out is the same price.
    I dont budget , but we arent going to Falang restaurants either. ( Except Tuesday nights)
    I reckon our food drink expenditure ( with one small kid) is close to Syds...

Box of Leo in Bahn was 500 large bottles. Could buy same same in a couple of spots in Patts.
    Farang big breaky in Patts was 360bt for us both but noodle soup was 25bt so it would even out
    The beer budget conscious fellows in our condo would drink Archer....Leo far better.

Phuket would have to be the most expensive place in LOS to live I would think.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Bought a case of Leo large bottles for 475 baht last Sunday. Chang was 465.

Big breakfast at Hanrahans in Soi 4 was 169 from memory, and worth every baht.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Sydney,
    I live on my own so it comes out a bit dearer if worked on a per person basis, as cleaning product's etc are all on me.
    I rarely go out, or eat out. I have a regular rutine, these days, my 2 big value for money buys, are

1: Each week I get a turkey hind quarter from Coles $7 for 2.2 klilo, some vegies and do a roast, this is on my days off Wed or Thur. I have a good pigout and then the leftovers supply me with enough turkey to make sandwiches/roll's for lunch 4 days, one day I'll have a pie or two, which i buy from the supermarket whatever is on special.

2: I have a great supplier of the best rump in Aust. It's a Foodworks store, but it has it's own massive butchery attached. I believe the owner has family or special contacts, I buy King Island Rump, Grain fed yearling, for $11-12 a kilo, they slice for free, I get it cut thick 30cm and usually spend $55-75 depending on the size.
    When I cut the big slices into normal, largish portions, it works out at around $3.50 - 4.00 a portion and even after being frozen and defrosted, they would stand up against any rump in a restruant costing $30&. it just slices like butter and melts in your mouth.

I do use a lot of cleaning gear, so my weekly shop would average $120 plus the meat so say another $10.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

It all depends on where you live really and your situation...

Here are my two largest extremes in my life... all in US dollars...(not sure how it would be converted to AU dollars...I think its very similar, right?)

When I was living by myself in New York City, I never cooked... always ate out or got delivery or went out with friends...

Average, including delivery tip... and mind you, this is bare minimum...

$7 for breakfast
    $13 for lunch
    $25 for dinner

(friggin delivery tips adds up!)
    Weekly cost $315 just for myself, not including if I went out with friends or when I was with a girl....

Now that I have just recently divorced and am one of those pathetic mid 30 year olds who have started living in the basement of their parents house in order to restart their live and save money (probably because i spent so much on food when i was single... 555...)

I spend about $50 a week for food now...
    Last edited by bunga; 27th July 2012 at 09:38. Reason: adding conversion comment

Quote Originally Posted by bunga View Post
    It all depends on where you live really and your situation...

Here are my two largest extremes in my life... all in US dollars...(not sure how it would be converted to AU dollars...I think its very similar, right?)

When I was living by myself in New York City, I never cooked... always ate out or got delivery or went out with friends...

Average, including delivery tip... and mind you, this is bare minimum...

$7 for breakfast
    $13 for lunch
    $25 for dinner

(friggin delivery tips adds up!)
    Weekly cost $315 just for myself, not including if I went out with friends or when I was with a girl....

Now that I have just recently divorced and am one of those pathetic mid 30 year olds who have started living in the basement of their parents house in order to restart their live and save money (probably because i spent so much on food when i was single... 555...)

I spend about $50 a week for food now...
    I believe that it can be quite cheap to eat out in the States....Wages tend to be a little lower there??

Housing and rents seem to be especially in depressed area's

Would be good to know the real truth of the day to day there not what we hear via the media.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    PBB you are probably then around the same as us if we equate that my kis. eat like adults, in fact more then me....i think yours are younger?......mine are 19 and 15......the 15 yr old is nearly 6 foot and fast approaching 90 kg so eats like a horse....this change of his food habits all happened is the last 2-3 years so big difference between 12 and 15
    But keep in mind that's around 84 meals a week when you take into account school lunches....

$2.38 per meal
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Sorry... I know its off topic... and I'll take the opening to rant a little....

Yes, housing prices in depressed area (Las Vegas, parts of Florida, some mid-west) are pretty bad. Last time I was in Vegas (December 2011) I was doing a little digging and foreclosure got to be about 50%, with some houses losing up to 80 -90% of their value from their hay days...

Rent is a bit stronger because there is more demand right now.

Job market can be pretty tough, especially with every single company that I know of doing restructuring or multiple restructuring...

Lowering of interest rates is good for people who want to borrow money now but for those who need the rates to be higher to make money now suffer... And honestly, lowering the interest any longer is going to prolong the issue further down the line... What will happen to the housing prices when the interest has to go up again? Cause it has to sooner or later... Housing prices will drop again because people wont be able to afford them anymore.... Its a real catch 22 and a serious timing issue...

Honestly my view is that we're still long away from seeing result of any kind of recovery. Its been 4-5 years since the beginning of the collapse of the housing market, and we're still a long ways off to recovering the job market. Without the recovery of disposable income by the middle class, and with clouds surrounding the Euro and parts of Asia Pac, especially China's potential pending recession, I'm not certain that we'll see a full recovery anytime soon. Another 5 - 7 years maybe?

Its not all doom and gloom... Going from over 10% to 8% unemployment rate in the last 2 years is a good sign and shows the US is slowly recovering... What I am seeing right now is the impact of what that 10% caused 2- 3 years ago as those people who did lose their jobs now have used up what savings they might have had or ran out of unemployment payments, and is beginning to slowly start over... Still... when I see the job market go to 6%, I'd feel better...

I can honestly say that it probably has impacted everyone to some degree living here...

Personally it has impacted me significantly as the investment that was made into three houses pretty much went down the drain.... But its all good... I still have a good job, no alimony to pay and probably doing a lot better than some others...

edit... I read my post again and Im not sure if I answered your question Wabs... 555
    Last edited by bunga; 27th July 2012 at 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by bunga View Post
    Sorry... I know its off topic... and I'll take the opening to rant a little....

Yes, housing prices in depressed area (Las Vegas, parts of Florida, some mid-west) are pretty bad. Last time I was in Vegas (December 2011) I was doing a little digging and foreclosure got to be about 50%, with some houses losing up to 80 -90% of their value from their hay days...

Rent is a bit stronger because there is more demand right now.

Job market can be pretty tough, especially with every single company that I know of doing restructuring or multiple restructuring...

Lowering of interest rates is good for people who want to borrow money now but for those who need the rates to be higher to make money now suffer... And honestly, lowering the interest any longer is going to prolong the issue further down the line... What will happen to the housing prices when the interest has to go up again? Cause it has to sooner or later... Housing prices will drop again because people wont be able to afford them anymore.... Its a real catch 22 and a serious timing issue...

Honestly my view is that we're still long away from seeing result of any kind of recovery. Its been 4-5 years since the beginning of the collapse of the housing market, and we're still a long ways off to recovering the job market. Without the recovery of disposable income by the middle class, and with clouds surrounding the Euro and parts of Asia Pac, especially China's potential pending recession, I'm not certain that we'll see a full recovery anytime soon. Another 5 - 7 years maybe?

Its not all doom and gloom... Going from over 10% to 8% unemployment rate in the last 2 years is a good sign and shows the US is slowly recovering... What I am seeing right now is the impact of what that 10% caused 2- 3 years ago as those people who did lose their jobs now have used up what savings they might have had or ran out of unemployment payments, and is beginning to slowly start over... Still... when I see the job market go to 6%, I'd feel better...

I can honestly say that it probably has impacted everyone to some degree living here...

Personally it has impacted me significantly as the investment that was made into three houses pretty much went down the drain.... But its all good... I still have a good job, no alimony to pay and probably doing a lot better than some others...

edit... I read my post again and Im not sure if I answered your question Wabs... 555
    No issues with this post as so very interesting and goes to cost of living so not off topic if a little more broad.
    When everything around you is squeezing then food prices come to the fore because we got to eat.

Also interesting and more than a little painful to you to see housing prices plummet losing your investment value.....Most people i talk to don't EVER see that happening here....
    I am not so sure..

Yeah no issues from me as well.....want to have a read of it (bunga post) as soon as i get time (tonight )
    wabbits likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast