Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By justcruzing1

Thread: I leant them my car now I'm cabbing it 5555555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

I leant them my car now I'm cabbing it 5555555

$2m Aston Martin One-77 goes on display at the Australian International Motor Show

THE Aston Martin One-77 is one of the fastest cars in the world with a top speed of 354km/h - about 100km/h more than most aircraft lift off the ground.

But 67-year-old semi-retired transport operator Frank Hillier didn’t get anywhere near that as he inched the $2 million handmade supercar into position for this year’s Australian International Motor Show, which opens in Sydney tomorrow.

Given that it’s the only car of its type in Australia – and one of 77 in the world – he was concentrating on not scraping the paintwork on the wall of glass that surrounds it on the stand.

“I always take my shoes off, but I leave my socks on,” says Hillier. “That way you don’t scuff the interior, plus it helps you make very small movements. You can feel the brake pedal better.

“The trouble with supercars is you can’t see out of them very well. The secret is you’ve got to be patient, and almost forget about how expensive the car is, so you don’t get flustered.”

The One-77 is a late surprise for the show, confirmed last Friday after the owner – who wishes to remain anonymous – agreed to put the car on display for 10 days.

Contrary to speculation, the Aston Martin is not owned by Melbourne-based transport magnate and car collector Lindsay Fox. The car is registered in Queensland.

“It’s not a household name, but a very passionate and generous car enthusiast,” said event director Russ Tyrie.

The Aston Martin "One-77" arrives at the show after its owner agreed to put the supercar on display. Picture: Sam RuttynSource: News Limited

Meanwhile, over at the Mercedes stand, 23-year-old Nick White was manouvring a one-off convertible valued at $500,000 – a car he is not legally allowed to drive on the road because it is deemed too powerful for under-25s.

Indeed, the special $20,000 paintjob (with extra metallic flakes, it’s as sparkly as a dodgem car) is worth more than White’s car – a 2002 Holden Commodore sedan. “The boss wasn’t looking so I gave it a rev,” says White.

Not everything went according to plan on set-up day. While Jaguar was waiting for its new F-Type convertible to arrive (the spiritual successor to the classic E-Type) someone noticed a ding in the door of its new flagship sedan.

Dent-remover Stephen Jensen was called to the rescue and he had the blemish out in half an hour. “Normally I like the car to be undercover and in good light, so you can’t get any better than being under motor show lights,” he says.

On other stands, mechanics were jacking-up cars to ensure the logos in the centre of the wheels were straight. Multiply that by four – for each of the 400 cars on display – and you have an idea of the effort and attention to detail involved.

The Aston Martin "One-77" is worth up to $2 million and is the only one in Australia. Picture: Sam RuttynSource: News Limited

Some of the most unusual sights on set-up day were the rehearsals for the media preview, which opens on Thursday.

As Cirque du Soleil performers went through their routine for Nissan’s luxury brand Infiniti, balancing precariously on equipment wearing nothing more than lycra for protection, 50 dancers were forced to wear high visibility vests during their practice for the unveiling of the new Toyota Corolla. Occupational Health and Safety knows no bounds, not even artistic ones.

*The Australian International Motor Show, at the Exhibition Centre in Darling Harbour, is open to the public from 10am Friday until 6pm Sunday 28 October.

This reporter is on Twitter: @JoshuaDowling

Fast facts: Aston Martin One-77

Price: $2 million
    Number built: 77 worldwide
    How many in Australia: 1
    Engine: 7.3-litre V12
    Power: 559kW/750hp
    Gearbox: Six-speed robotised manual
    0 to 100: 3.7 seconds
    Top speed: 354km/h
    Quarky likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Nice car.
    I use to go to the Motor Show every year when i had a shop next door,it was always fun.

Shame i can't afford petrol for it now it has gone up 20c a litre yesterday.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Zero to 100 in 3.7 seconds, I would say it would have a good thirst JC?

I read it has been purchased by a Queenslander, is it really yours JC?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Last edited by Ya Kha; 19th October 2012 at 08:07.
    "True suffering is brief, but it lives on in your own thoughts".

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Zero to 100 in 3.7 seconds, I would say it would have a good thirst JC?

I read it has been purchased by a Queenslander, is it really yours JC?
    YES Rivo it is mine, the photo that is 55555555

Yes I reckon your stomach would be pushing against your spine with that much take off thrust.
    Most planes take off befor hiting the speed it can reach.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    *Drool*

I can't help by think how many trips to LOS that car would pay for tho!! 55555
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Can you imagine taking it out to go to dinner and coming back to find some a hole had taken to it with a key around all panels?

A friend of mine use to have one of the top Jag's in the country, he sold it and bought a landcruser he was fed up with having to get it touched up all the time.

Just an added story, I believe the above car is the one that was the centre of attention in a divorce case in Townsville a couple of weeks ago.
    The car and some other assets were hidden from the wife and not taken into account in the property breakup.
    But it was found out (possibly because it was put on show??) and the judge hit the guy harder in the settlement as a result.

How much money must they have if the missus doesn't notice a few million missing from the account???

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I wonder if it will feature in the next 007 movie?.... I don't think they'd be blowing this one up!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    You get just as much of a thrill riding a motorbike in Thailand. Cranking the throttle on my V-Strom gives me all the "need for speed" I can handle.

A long time ago I used to have sports cars, but eventually learned that trucks are more practical.

And raced stock cars a few times at a local track...

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out the window of a moving car.