Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: Top 10 Predictions for 2013 ... have a go!

  1. #1
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,595

    Top 10 Predictions for 2013 ... have a go!

    Which predictions do TD Members genuinely believe may occur?

    Googling provides all sorts of interesting stuff .... go take a look, then post your thoughts on what the near future may bring.

    Personally, I think 'cloud-computing and storage' is up there .... excuse the pun ....
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  2. #2
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    I predict Rivo doesn't get married in 2013...
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  3. #3
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,344
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Which predictions do TD Members genuinely believe may occur?

    Googling provides all sorts of interesting stuff .... go take a look, then post your thoughts on what the near future may bring.

    Personally, I think 'cloud-computing and storage' is up there .... excuse the pun ....
    hasn't cloud computing and storage been going for a few years now? Or do you mean the end of hard drives completely with ALL storage online?

    I predict:

    Large stock market crashes

    Gold and Silver triple in value

    More riots and social breakdown in Europe

    3D Printing will take off

    SA will win the Rugby Championship

    France will win the 6 Nations

    Someone will start a thread on TD titled "What's the easiest way to divorce a TG?"

    A planet nearly identical to Earth will be discovered
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  4. #4
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    I predict Rivo doesn't get married in 2013...
    Oi ... nothing personal or negative, well not toooo personal, ok.

    Re the 'cloud' thing for example ... with the recent market-explosion of affordable phones and tablets, the likes of Google Inc are set to deliver on 'cloud storage' and other stuff .... eg real time forum-video-round-table discussion ... eventually.

    I predict THAT asteroid will not hit earth on Feb 13th ... but if it takes out a few dozen satellites ,mmh ... HDD storage looks safer than Google....

    Off to enjoy celebrations ... Happy 2013 everyone!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  5. #5
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,344
    Well all our storage and data analysis is in the cloud... and we do 90% of our meetings in the cloud so to speak. But sure, it is getting cloudier by the day... 555

    I also don't think Rivo will marry in 2013.... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  6. #6
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    I predict Rivo doesn't get married in 2013...
    Ok but what about a Thai ceremony??
    .

  7. #7
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    hasn't cloud computing and storage been going for a few years now? Or do you mean the end of hard drives completely with ALL storage online?

    I predict:

    Large stock market crashes

    Gold and Silver triple in value

    More riots and social breakdown in Europe

    3D Printing will take off

    SA will win the Rugby Championship

    France will win the 6 Nations

    Someone will start a thread on TD titled "What's the easiest way to divorce a TG?"

    A planet nearly identical to Earth will be discovered

    3D printing has been around for years. I used it in my Uni Days then it was called stereo-lithography. I actually have a small set up in china for proto-types. Uses a laser to build layer after layer of a polymer. $65K is what the machine is worth. Most of that is software.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  8. #8
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,344
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    3D printing has been around for years. I used it in my Uni Days then it was called stereo-lithography. I actually have a small set up in china for proto-types. Uses a laser to build layer after layer of a polymer. $65K is what the machine is worth. Most of that is software.
    It has been around for a while... I just have a feeling about it....

    Call it the Green Moon feeling... 555
    Last edited by Quarky; 1st January 2013 at 08:57.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  9. #9
    เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    7,370
    I cant see Rivo getting married in 2013 either 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

  10. #10
    เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    7,370
    I predict Jonty will come back to Oz in late 2012 and stay at least until 2013 <7>














    Welcome back BTW Jonty ^B^
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

  11. #11
    Cadet Bronze Ya Kha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    61
    ****************
    "True suffering is brief, but it lives on in your own thoughts".

  12. #12
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962
    Probability and statics say PBB will not finish his story 5555555
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    3D printing has been around for years. I used it in my Uni Days then it was called stereo-lithography. I actually have a small set up in china for proto-types. Uses a laser to build layer after layer of a polymer. $65K is what the machine is worth. Most of that is software.
    Isn't this what dentists use for onsite porcelain crowns?

    As for predictions - nobody know - up to Buddha...

  14. #14
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    Apparently, someone in the US has "Printed" the "Receiver" for an AR15 rifle. (Presumably in polymer resin).
    As this is the only part you need a licence for in the US he was then able to buy all the other parts and build his rifle.
    He has (apparently) fired 200 rounds through the new gun.
    Now this is not what most people would be capable of, but I'm predicting that people will start taking 3D printing seriously right now.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  15. #15
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    It has been around for a while... I just have a feeling about it....

    Call it the Green Moon feeling... 555
    Care to invest ?????
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  16. #16
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,344
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Care to invest ?????
    I bought shares in DASTY already. That will do for now... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  17. #17
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Apparently, someone in the US has "Printed" the "Receiver" for an AR15 rifle. (Presumably in polymer resin).
    As this is the only part you need a licence for in the US he was then able to buy all the other parts and build his rifle.
    He has (apparently) fired 200 rounds through the new gun.
    Now this is not what most people would be capable of, but I'm predicting that people will start taking 3D printing seriously right now.
    Someone posted a video about how houses can be made using 3D Printing which kick started something in my mind. Then I saw a bike being printed.... and ridden... the potential seems limitless? But with the positive sides come the negatives as you point out... which makes it even more of a desired idea.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  18. #18
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,595
    On 3D printing, I agree big advances will be made. It's a combination of robotics (becoming highly sophisticated), CNC machining (awesome equipment), and advanced computer programming incorporating design and build. 'printing' is possibly a misnomer but I can't think of a better name.

    New resins, ceramics and other compounds will be created to feed this technology and I predict growth in companies who specialise in this field, eg NUPLEX.

    On cloud computing: interesting to hear it's already on the uptake by large organisations. A growth industry with limitless applications, many not yet thought of, but I predict big advances for phone/tablet apps.

    My only worry is that with all this technology we lose individual skills, perhaps even whole 'trades'. And what happens when the 'net goes down?

    No-one mentioned fuel cells yet. ???
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lOZt
    Posts
    2,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Someone posted a video about how houses can be made using 3D Printing which kick started something in my mind. Then I saw a bike being printed.... and ridden... the potential seems limitless? But with the positive sides come the negatives as you point out... which makes it even more of a desired idea.
    Yes, it was me that stimulated your senses DP. 555

    I think we are still a little time away from 3d printing having a big impact. However, has the potential to see another stock market bubble ala IT bubble. Will be a game changer in one industry, which will then see everyone dreaming about the possibilities and getting carried away with the potential, resulting in a bubble.

    In terms of big issues for 2013, shale gas and resultant US oil independence will continue to fundamentally change the US attitude to the middle east leaving it a more fragile place. If Israel gets more aggressive, and the US more passive, then we could see other middle eastern countries unite against Israel.

    In terms of LOS, US will seek to increase its presence in the region with a focus on Burma, and expect Obama to visit again.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

  20. #20
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Yes, it was me that stimulated your senses DP. 555

    I think we are still a little time away from 3d printing having a big impact. However, has the potential to see another stock market bubble ala IT bubble. Will be a game changer in one industry, which will then see everyone dreaming about the possibilities and getting carried away with the potential, resulting in a bubble.
    It's coming back to me now... 555. Yes, it was you. And I agree that it won't be a game changer this year... more an explosion in 5 to 10 years time. If it takes off...


    Anyone think there will be a war this year between Israel and Iran?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •