Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Popularity contest?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Popularity contest?

This has a lot of common sense in it, worth a read.

Stop Trying to Be Liked and Start Being You
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Worth reading and contemplating...Not just saying that so you will like me.55555
    When you talk about the different types of people from the alpha's to the pleasers, pleasers or those that will try to do this at all costs are people that you end up despising.
    C1 you and I both no one of these guys by the name of Tony (Have changed his name to his real name to hide who he is.5555)
    He will go out of his way to tell you what he thinks you want to hear....

It's something that isn't discussed much, but as you say C1, well worth thinking about. I know when younger I made the mistake of trying to be liked by everyone. I do it much less now.

I think it's worth posting this quote...

When it comes to this issue, you might want to ask yourself these questions:

1. Do I speak the truth (while still exercising care, wisdom and understanding) even if it’s not popular to do so?
    2. Do I live a life which is consistent with my core values?
    3. Do I operate with integrity?
    4. Do I believe that my motives are good?
    5. Is it my goal to be a positive influence in the lives of others?
    6. Am I happy to disagree with people I like?
    7. Do I (really) like me?

If you answered yes to all of the above then you’re doing pretty well. If there were more crosses than ticks then you may want to make a few changes. Soon. Some short-term pain for some long-term gain.
    Number 4, I believe is a strong motivator for me. It makes it easier to "not be nice"... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Try and be a sales person and be nice and never say no.....How long would you last.
    Or you are one of those sales people that always says yes but never does what he says...

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Try and be a sales person and be nice and never say no.....How long would you last.
    Or you are one of those sales people that always says yes but never does what he says...

Funny movie watched awhile back.555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Or one that never lies and shows integrity..... impossible!
    This why I hate sales... but it worries me that it's something I'm very good at!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

You can sell and not Lie 100%
    Have a good product that you can stand behind and work for an organization that beleives in fairness.
    Beleive me most not all of the sales guys I work with sell with integrety....And we know the ones that don't and it is a constant pain to control them.
    That being said buyers will tell 100 times more lies than a sales good sales guy ever will.

I learnt early on only promise what you can deliver and never claim that your product can do something it cannot.
    You might lose the odd sale but there is no drama after the sale and many people I had sold cars to in the past became firm friends.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Hey C1 did you venture into the free Anger Management DVD zone, I'm interested but wary of anything that is free......
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Hey C1 did you venture into the free Anger Management DVD zone, I'm interested but wary of anything that is free......
    Sorry mate, you might have to use shorter words. My eyesight is no longer good enough to read between the lines....

You can sell and not Lie 100%
    Have a good product that you can stand behind and work for an organization that beleives in fairness.
    Beleive me most not all of the sales guys I work with sell with integrety....And we know the ones that don't and it is a constant pain to control them.
    That being said buyers will tell 100 times more lies than a sales good sales guy ever will.

I learnt early on only promise what you can deliver and never claim that your product can do something it cannot.
    You might lose the odd sale but there is no drama after the sale and many people I had sold cars to in the past became firm friends.
    I spent a good part of my career in "Sales" and as a result I have become "A student of human emotion". And a Tom Hopkins "Academy of Master Closing" fan. They say "You can't sell a salesman" but I find the opposite is true. It's the ones who are "Off the reservation" that don't know their lines...555

Interesting... the young people of the world are beginning to think they are better than they actually are...

BBC News - Does confidence really breed success?

Research suggests that more and more American university students think they are something special. High self-esteem is generally regarded as a good thing - but could too much of it actually make you less successful?

About nine million young people have filled out the American Freshman Survey, since it began in 1966.

It asks students to rate how they measure up to their peers in a number of basic skills areas - and over the past four decades, there has been a dramatic rise in the number of students who describe themselves as being "above average" for academic ability, drive to achieve, mathematical ability and self-confidence.

This was revealed in a new analysis of the survey data, by US psychologist Jean Twenge and colleagues.

Self-appraisals of traits that are less individualistic - such as co-operativeness, understanding others and spirituality - saw little change, or a decrease, over the same period.

Twenge adds that while the Freshman Survey shows that students are increasingly likely to label themselves as gifted in writing ability, objective test scores indicate that actual writing ability has gone down since the 1960s.

And while in the late 1980s, almost half of students said they studied for six or more hours a week, the figure was little over a third by 2009 - a fact that sits rather oddly, given there has been a rise in students' self-proclaimed drive to succeed during the same period.

Another study by Twenge suggested there has been a 30% tilt towards narcissistic attitudes in US students since 1979.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines narcissism as: "Excessive self-love or vanity; self-admiration, self-centredness."

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    It's something that isn't discussed much, but as you say C1, well worth thinking about. I know when younger I made the mistake of trying to be liked by everyone. I do it much less now.

I think it's worth posting this quote...

Number 4, I believe is a strong motivator for me. It makes it easier to "not be nice"... 555
    I try to incorporate all of them with the exception of number 5.
    It is not my goal to be a postive influence, I just hope that maybe some of it rubs off. 555
    1, 2, and 3 are really important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Sorry mate, you might have to use shorter words. My eyesight is no longer good enough to read between the lines....
    I went and followed you r hyperlink above and read what you recommended. Top right corner they were offering a "free" DVD on Anger management and meditation.

They ask for an email address etc... I am wary of thesething offered free as you either get spammed or they want your personal details etc.

I was just wondering if anybody had taken a look and was it legit.

Cheers Mate
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

I make it a point not to follow web ads like that, but I understand that the money advertisers pay keeps the free dialogue going.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    A juicy fruit should alleviate suppressed anger ...

Or a trip to LOS Zab my shoulders have dropped one inch just today and that's in BKK, wait till I hit Isaan, oh BTW down to Surat Thani - Na San thursday S has shown me some fantastic photos. Any "must see's" down there? Chob? Ex Pats ? S has some sights so maybe i will report them.

Cheers team

^You could always "pop over" to Samui while down there? Worth a gander...

Chob will tell you of some nice deserted beaches around Surat Thani though...