Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite City in the world?

Your favourite City in the world?

What's your favourite city in the world to visit... and why?

For me it's a toss up between New York, Rome and Edinburgh.

NY has nearly everything. It's big, it's high, it's surrounded by water and many other great places are nearby... it's a mini-world in a great social setting.

Rome may not have the sky-scapers of NY, but the history just blows you away. It's everywhere... it consumes you and makes it a magic city.

Edinburgh. OK maybe it's a little small to be compared to the great cities of the world... but I love the place. The castle on the hill... and the atmosphere, gives it a unique quality all of it's own...

And an honourable mention to Paris... I just adore the place and don't know why.

Last edited by Quarky; 11th January 2013 at 19:18.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Maybe need to clarify your question DP, you mean living or visiting?

Living for me, well i am here now....5555 visiting well thats gonna take a bit more thought, but the the 4 you mention wouldn't even be on my short list except for maybe Rome...
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Maybe need to clarify your question DP, you mean living or visiting?

Living for me, well i am here now....5555 visiting well thats gonna take a bit more thought, but the the 4 you mention wouldn't even be on my short list except for maybe Rome...
    OK, have changed the question to "visit".

Good to see you are going to produce different choices.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Oddly i have a preference for visiting weird cities, third world i guess.....mumbai or bombay when i was there, now that was a eye opener...big cities in the USA hold no interest for me because really its just another big city....you probably dont agree but do you get were i am coming from

Even good old BKK is high on my list....55555
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

^Yes I like other cities as well for various reasons. But these cities just hold something extra for me. Like I wouldn't just travel to Thailand for Bangkok (Much as I like the place), but I would go to the USA just for NY...

I'm over 'cities'. More into country life.

Stockholm, Prague, Vienna, Munich, Auckland ... among my favourites. Never visited USA.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    i live in it..great beaches...great mountains...laid back life style...great vineyards..so great wine...great food...now if saffa could just sort out its problems 555

personally..5 min from beach..stay under the mountain...close to my golf course...5 min from "buitenverwachting"...a fantastic wine farm...... half an hour from the city...would be nice to have some local thai girls thou555
    Last edited by Quarky; 11th January 2013 at 21:29. Reason: made link work...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    If its just a few days I think I would go back to Venice.
    It just blew me out opening a window and a boat floating by.
    Great food , brilliant history , and just walking around was so pleasant.

Rome would be up there as well , Florence also.

I kinda liked Algeciras as well.

The North American cities I saw , LA , SD , SF , Seattle , Vancouver were like Sydney. SD was at least smaller and warm.
    Calgary way too cold.
    New Orleans had charm but felt dangerous.
    Miami , NY , Boston all too big.
    Montreal and QC were great but freeze in the winter.
    Nothing really there for me except the Florida Keys....
    Last edited by Chob; 11th January 2013 at 21:26.

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    i live in it..great beaches...great mountains...laid back life style...great vineyards..so great wine...great food...now if saffa could just sort out its problems 555

personally..5 min from beach..stay under the mountain...close to my golf course...5 min from "buitenverwachting"...a fantastic wine farm...http://www.buitenverwachting.com/.....half an hour from the city...would be nice to have some local thai girls thou555
    Must admit CT is a nice city .... except for ... you know what already
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I'm over 'cities'. More into country life.

Stockholm, Prague, Vienna, Munich, Auckland ... among my favourites. Never visited USA.
    I'll start another thread later... "Your favourite rural locations in the world..."

I also like Prague and Munich and of course I grew up in Auckland... so love it as well...

Heidelberg is one of my favourite "towns".

personally..5 min from beach..stay under the mountain...close to my golf course...5 min from "buitenverwachting"...a fantastic wine farm...http://www.buitenverwachting.com/.....half an hour from the city...would be nice to have some local thai girls thou555
    I'd love to visit Cape Town one day... and Rio...

Maybe a new thread. Places you'd love to visit but have never managed to... 555

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    If its just a few days I think I would go back to Venice.
    It just blew me out opening a window and a boat floating by.
    Great food , brilliant history , and just walking around was so pleasant.

Rome would be up there as well , Florence also.

I kinda liked Algeciras as well.
    I loved Florence, but for some reason Venice felt a bit of a let down for me... not sure why. I expected more for some reason...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar

Got to agree with you there.. We are fortunate enough to live in one of the best tourist cities in the World.
    I have just been taking a couple of people around, two ladies who grew up here but have been away for a long time and the German boyfriend of one of them..
    He has been ecstatic with what he has seen and it has opened my eyes to just how much I end to take living in CT for granted...

Just saw this BTW
    New record for Table Mountain cableway - Yahoo! News South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Must admit CT is a nice city .... except for ... you know what already
    except for???... not sure what you mean ???/...dont worry i wont be offended

my fav other city is Toronto...

except for???... not sure what you mean ???/...dont worry i wont be offended
    Crime I'd imagine....

my fav other city is Toronto...
    What do you like about Toronto? I think it's one of the dullest cities I have ever been to. It's not even the nicest city in Ontario... 555

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    What do you like about Toronto? I think it's one of the dullest cities I have ever been to. It's not even the nicest city in Ontario... 555
    i was there 30 years ago...thought it was pretty laid back and friendly...enjoyed all the clubs coffee houses on young or yonga str(cant remember which one)....had great memories there...so which is the nicest city in Ontario???...surely not London ??? 55555...i stayed in a small town called Sarnia for a while....maybe thats why i liked Toronto

as for crime in cape town...its not something that would keep me away...

i was there 30 years ago...thought it was pretty laid back and friendly...enjoyed all the clubs coffee houses on young or yonga str(cant remember which one)....had great memories there...so which is the nicest city in Ontario???...surely not London ??? 55555...i stayed in a small town called Sarnia for a while....maybe thats why i liked Toronto

as for crime in cape town...its not something that would keep me away...
    London is where I have spent quite a bit of time. It's OK. Nothing special. But I like Ottawa a lot more than Toronto. And I liked Montreal and Quebec City even more... though the latter two aren't in Ontario. I just have found Toronto to be lacking a bit of soul. Though to be honest I enjoyed it more in 1992 than I did on my more recent trips... not sure what happened to the nightlife of old...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I really avoid big cities. Although i live in LOS i haven`t been to BKK for about 3-4 years as i hate the congestion and pollution.

My fav city is Amsterdam and have had 2 great stays there (5 years and 27 years ago) and would do it again.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I am a bit like that too, big cities do nothing for me. That is why i like being just where I am as the mountains and sea make the city itself very secondary.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast