Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Free Willy - in REAL

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar

Free Willy - in REAL

I was sent this video and it deserves its own thread as it is truly amazing.

The Whale must have known it was getting help as it didn't fight at all as the rescuers tried to free it...

Remarkable footage

The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

I like stories like that Sydney. How does the whale know that it is being helped? Even knew which part of it's body to offer... and then seemed to celebrate at the end. Remarkable.

This dolphin "asked" for help from some divers recently, to help remove a fishing line...

BBC News - Dolphin rescue caught on underwater camera
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Great story!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

This dolphin "asked" for help from some divers recently, to help remove a fishing line...

Incredible and beautiful sight ... but as a scuba diver I can believe it ... the creatures that see humans swimming past daily soon lose their fear of them. ... and the dolphins in the waters off Rockingham near where we live here in Perth are curious and confident creatures that will come close to have a look at you, whether you are in a boat or walking on the beach.

Still an incredible piece of footage ....

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Whales adopt deformed dolphin

A lonely, deformed bottlenose dolphin has found a new family after a pod of sperm whales took him in.

German researchers spotted the adult dolphin, which has a spinal malformation, swimming with the whales off the coast of Portugal over eight days in 2011.
    "It really looked like they had accepted the dolphin for whatever reason," behavioural ecologist Alexander Wilson said.
    "They were being very sociable."
    Experts believed the deformed dolphin may have clung to the whales because it was "picked on" or couldn't keep up with its own species, while the whales swam more slowly and would always leave a "babysitter" near the surface to mind the young calves while adults dived deeper.
    But they said what was "puzzling" about the relationship was what the whales got out of the bargain.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

^I wonder if dolphins and whales can communicate?

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Can different species 'talk'?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    ^I wonder if dolphins and whales can communicate?

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Can different species 'talk'?
    I can't recall how many hours I've spent hanging over the bows of boats watching and listening to dolphins. I came to the conclusion that their 'speech', simple clicks really, are akin to human hand signals ... very basic commands, not real conversation.

We had a mother and baby dolphin playing under the bow one trip in FNQ waters, and it became clear that certain clicks were telling the baby to "go faster", others "turn away". It was like watching a teacher in Kindy, instructing a 5 year old. I'd never seen anything quite like it before and the mother even rolled upside-down, @ 10 knots, looking us straight in the eye. Not once, but several times. Beautiful animals, perhaps with simple 'speech', but seemingly able to 'think' or communicate in ways that we humans cannot.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

^More on those "clicks" here...

How Do Dolphins "Talk"

Vocal communication - Vocal communication (the most complex and highly developed of all) is divided into two types and takes place in the water only.

Echolocation - also known as sonar: this is the most highly developed sense in dolphins. Here is a short explanation the dolphin emits sound waves (sounding like "clicks") from its blowhole and transfers them through the thick fat called "the melon", located on its forehead. This fat lump acts as a "lens" which channels the clicks to a certain direction. The dolphin then receives the returning sound waves (the echo) through its lower jaw from a loose bone connected directly to its inner ear. Thus, the dolphin receives a kind of "picture" of its surroundings. With the aid of the sonar, the dolphin navigates, becomes familiar with its surroundings, and even hunts. We, humans, have imitated this ability in building the ultrasound machine and the sonar used on ships and submarines.

Some of the sonar sounds are used by the dolphins to communicate with each other, for example: during a fight, the dolphin emits certain clicks expressing aggression.

Whistles: Dolphins have a very large repertoire of whistles which are used for communication. Today it is known that each dolphin has its own personal "signature whistle", which acts as a sort of name. It is also know that each dolphin knows how to imitate the whistles of the other dolphins. Besides the signature whistle, there are whistles which express enthusiasm, distress, surprise, excitement and many more.

In conclusion, we would like to add that with regard to vocal communication, in particular, and communication between dolphins, in general, there is more unknown than known and, as research progresses, additional questions continually arise. For example, it is known that dolphins "talk" to each other even from great distances, but it is not clear how they do it. Another known fact is that pods from different areas develop "dialects" and often are unable to communicate fully upon meeting each other.