Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy crap never seen so much wind and rain!!!!

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar

Holy crap never seen so much wind and rain!!!!

Well its all happening here on the Gold Coast at the moment.

Creeks and rivers flooding all flights cancelled into and out of Coast

Luckily we are high up on the hill, but wind and rain are going sideways

Hopefully my flights back to work tomorrow will also cancelled
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Hi Mate,
    Don't go driving anywhere, they have been showing it both in Bris and the Coast for the last 3 hrs.

It's been very strange this one, started as a cyclone up the gulf, crossed to our side (east coast) and we were warned it could reform.
    We were told to be ready for anything......it gave us 3 days of rain and not that much, here in Tsvlle.
    It has then gone down the coast and pounded everywhere including 7 tornado's from Bunderburg to Harvey Bay. It is currently flooding out west and Brisbane.

The eye is now over the Gold Coast and Northern NSW. Everyone expected it to drop out long before now.
    At least all the experts here did.

Your flight might go tomorrow but you may not be able to drive to the airport.

Stay safe Condo and family.

PS: if you think the wind and the rain going sideways is disturbing, wait till a strong cyclone like Yassi was, it had the rain going back up in the air in all sorts of crazy ways, the wind speed was incredible.
    I wouldn't want to be riding or driving around the hi rise as the wind tunnels they create, you could be lifted off the ground and thrown anywhere.
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 27th January 2013 at 18:38.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Don't worry mate I aint going anywhere!!!!

I also appreciate living up here on the hill

Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    Don't worry mate I aint going anywhere!!!!

I also appreciate living up here on the hill
    The good thing about your place is, your up the very top, so if the land gets too wet and slips you have all the townhouses bellow you to land on 5555555

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Half of Australia having bush fires, now the other half is underwater....what next snowing on the big red rock ???

Stay safe mate...be a right bummer if you work flight is cancelled..shame.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    The good thing about your place is, your up the very top, so if the land gets too wet and slips you have all the townhouses bellow you to land on 5555555
    What a cheery thought JC, NOT

Condo and Nings home is well placed with minimal high land above and behind. A little storm like this shouldn't present any problem at all.

Was looking at the Seaway camera yesterday with big swells rolling in. This am .... totally wild and woolly! Bad enough that even VMR Rescue crews could not venture out for fear of capsize.

We could do with some rain here ....
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Dad is at Tin Can Bay said its as bad as he has seen there and the water is as high or higher than it has been in the past.
    Power out since yesterday but he has no wet feet at his point.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Dad is at Tin Can Bay said its as bad as he has seen there and the water is as high or higher than it has been in the past.
    Power out since yesterday but he has no wet feet at his point.
    With severe ENE winds and swells the beaches and foreshores/rock walls will take a huge battering. Suburbs like Redcliffe, Main Beach and Currumbin perhaps worst affected.

Hervey Bay (and TCBay) are pretty well protected, like Brissie thru to Southport.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    We use to travel up to the GC-Northern NSW a bit in the 70`s for Xmas holidays and these sort of storms were fairly typical for Dec-Jan back then. Even had to turn back a couple of times as it was just too bad. So not really out of the ordinary but maybe more like long overdue?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    We use to travel up to the GC-Northern NSW a bit in the 70`s for Xmas holidays and these sort of storms were fairly typical for Dec-Jan back then. Even had to turn back a couple of times as it was just too bad. So not really out of the ordinary but maybe more like long overdue?
    I kind of miss extreme wild weather, strong winds, lightning and horizontal rain. Experienced tornado/whirlwinds off the Sand Straits once but had all sails furled. Mother Nature at her most furious and destructive can also be quite a beautiful thing to behold. A Gold Coast line squall >

Cheers, Rob.

Flights, trains and other travel all disrupted due to continuing stormy weather. Seaway cam here > CLICK <

Wind speed is currently 56 kmph, gusting to 76 kmph with heavy rain. Flooding is quite severe in some parts of Gold Coast.

Earlier this morning, (~7am EST) wind gusts nudged 100 kmph with constant wind speed not falling below 70 for nearly 2 hours. Glass, doors and roofing material has been ripped from buildings and friends report power outage in many suburbs.

Sounds like the worst storm to hit the Gold Coast in many years and with ex-tropical cyclone Oswald still heading south it may not be over yet.

Brisbane is bracing for floodwater expected to peak later today and into Tuesday.
    Cheers, Rob.

Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    The centre seems to be over Sydney now and heading towards Wollongong?

I`m sure the rain would be apreciated but typically Australian "it never rains but it pours"...would be better over a 2 week period instead of 2 days!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Just a bit of rain, over 250 mm since Saturday noon and still more to come.
    A little land slip just up the road. The nextdoor neighbours are stuck in Brisbane and wont be able to get up the road till I clear it with the tractor.

RIMG0859.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    Just a bit of rain, over 250 mm since Saturday noon and still more to come.
    A little land slip just up the road. The nextdoor neighbours are stuck in Brisbane and wont be able to get up the road till I clear it with the tractor.

RIMG0859.jpg
    That'll keep you busy Ted ... might need a few drain pipes there!
    Just had word from GC that most Hinterland properties are cut off, Tamborine isolated, and power still out (except Southport Hospital grid). Wind is now dropping under 50kmph as system moves southward. Should weaken by midnight EST but still dump heaps of rain on Central Coast/Sydney most of tomorrow.
    Cheers, Rob.

Bundaberg is the current hot spot, it has broken all flood records ever reordered, they are saying up to 2,000 houses may be washed away. The main street is under as well.

Interesting is the modeling of the BOM and emergency services said it was going to get to I think it was 7.6m and many locals said yea right, we have heard that before, so stayed believing they would be right, but the models were wrong it is much higher, so the helicopters are having to lift them off their roofs, at great risk.

Now the same people have modeled for Brisbane and Ipswich, and say it will be 4m below the flood of 2 years ago....better hope they are more correct than they have been on Bundy.

Up here there is no ATM's working and some eftpos are down, all landlines are dead and all Telstra mobiles, not sure what others are working, I know my Optus is. This is due to something happened down south.

This storm has kept it's strength all the way down to Sydney, very unusual.

Stay safe everyone in it's parth.

I guess Codo is without power, would like to know how Ning felt thru the storm, I don't know if LOS gets these types.

Andaman Sea and Gulf regions can get severe storms but nothing like Oswald, as far as I know. I read reports that a dairy herd in Bundaberg area got washed away .... 400 animals lost in one foul swoop!

Worst flooding in something like 70 years ... and the last one was a monster!
    Cheers, Rob.

Rob I'm just watching Meesh's on the beach at Burleigh is being smashed by waves all the windows smashed and the whole of the coastline is covered in foam from the sea, it looks like snow,it is being blown into units across the road from the beaches.

A window and its frame was blown out of the 48th floor of Q1.

The highest tide is tomorrow night at midnight so still a lot to get flooded yet.
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 28th January 2013 at 15:55.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Just starting to kick into Sydney now, but winds only 30 to 45 km/h, increasing tonight.....tomorrow is probably when the damaging winds will hit up to 70 K....its looks very bleak out my window ATM and considering it was record temperatures at 45.8 degres only a week or more ago, it now feels friggin freezing
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Rob I'm just watching Meesh's on the beach at Burleigh is being smashed by waves all the windows smashed and the whole of the coastline is covered in foam from the sea, it looks like snow,it is being blown into units across the road from the beaches.~
    I see it ...

Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast