Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Now that IS a WAVE!!!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

Now that IS a WAVE!!!

I hope this works, A guy has ridden the biggest wave ever, it was in Portugal and around 100ft
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 30th January 2013 at 10:39.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Here you go and nuts of steel mate firk that i know what its like to be pummeled in 2 meter swell.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Thanks guys, I finally got it sorted.
    Yes Wabb's 2m can knock the wind out of you, the biggest I ever got hit by was 25-30ft and I was in very deep water off Fairy Bower/Manly
    The weight of 100ft of angry water....??? I can't imagine.
    At the end of the video i posted he says he didn't really feel it was so big till he got hit in the back by the foam, felt like a ton of bricks, but it was just a small bit that hit him.

Australia has a lot of the top big wave riders and several are not so young anymore, Tom Carrol is one that comes to mind, he is still so fit and fearless, I don't know his age but he was a young growing competitor when I was surfing,

^^Used to surf Fairy Bower years ago JC little shallow at low tide I remember used to take off next to a boil over a rock and then look down as it swung around the reef...Rocks just waiting to bite.55555

Ship sterns in Tazy is another big dangerous one but not that big.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    as a matter of interest how do they measure the size of a wave???....those pics are very impressive...the power of nature

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    as a matter of interest how do they measure the size of a wave???....those pics are very impressive...the power of nature
    Its off the back side of the wave I believe which would make the face bigger but no idea how they reported the measure of this wave.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    A wave is measured from the back of the wave making the front even bigger no ? if you look at the picutre of the wave that dudes riding and consider he is maybe 6 foot tall, how many times does he fit into the wave...way more then 20 times
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

The biggest wave ever recorded measures in at 1740ft

Headland beside Lituya Glacier that was swept the giant 1740 ft wave
    Photo by Byron Hale.

Big, Bigger, and Biggest Waves

What’s the biggest wave ever recorded?
    The biggest wave on record occurred in Lituya Bay on the southern coast of Alaska in 1958. An earthquake measuring 8.3 on the Richter scale hit the area and shook loose an estimated 40 million cubic yards of dirt and glacier from a mountainside at the head of the bay. When the debris hit the water, a massive 1,720-foot wave was created and washed over the headland.

How did the scientists know the wave was so incredibly enormous? Simple. To measure the height of the wave, scientists found the high-water mark -- the line where the water reached its highest point on land. This probably is not the biggest wave ever, just the biggest documented. Three fishing boats witnessed the Lituya Bay event. Unfortunately, two people on one of the boats were killed. Incredibly, the other two boats rode the waves and their occupants survived.

Technically this wave is described as a "Splash Wave" The photo above shows the headland beside the Lituya Glacier that was swept clean of soil and trees to a height of 1740 feet by the giant splash wave. The icebergs seen in the water of Lituya Bay, foreground, were knocked off the glacier by the landslide falling into the bay from a slope to the right of the photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    I hope this works, A guy has ridden the biggest wave ever, it was in Portugal and around 100ft
    So this is the wave he rode in 2011 by the looks of it?

I see they posted a few seconds of his 2013 ride in Moo's link?

Has the full video come out yet? I'd hate to fall off....

Edit... think this may be it... or at least a few seconds of it. Like a damn movie trailer!

Last edited by Quarky; 30th January 2013 at 21:02.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    ^^Used to surf Fairy Bower years ago JC little shallow at low tide I remember used to take off next to a boil over a rock and then look down as it swung around the reef...Rocks just waiting to bite.55555

Ship sterns in Tazy is another big dangerous one but not that big.
    The boil over a rock is called "surge rock", after you get your balance then you hit :The Race Course"
    very fast and hollow, yes there was nothing but rocks at the Bower and we were there long before leg ropes.

The other thing was thesea anemonies with their spikes, they were all over the rocks and if you stood on them their sikes broke off in your foot and got infected.

Here is a shot of the bower at Xmas this year

^^^Takes me back JC race course did not know but apt as it swings around like a bowl you can get some real nice drive.
    First time I ever got done by a blue bottle was out there......Not pleasant.55555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    This picture is from a beach 25km out of where I live, the Surfer is a bloke from here who goes out with a girl who used to work for me and is as hot as.. (the girl that is 555)

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    This picture is from a beach 25km out of where I live, the Surfer is a bloke from here who goes out with a girl who used to work for me and is as hot as.. (the girl that is 555)

Glad you clarified that statement AM.55555

^Pic of said hot girl please... 555

Biggest Wipeout of the year??? OVER 60 ft!!! and it was paddle in, not towed.

His wipeout is at 1.11min in the below vid.

Jamie Mitchell and Shane Dorian tackle monster waves at Belharra reef in south-west France - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

French wave.jpg
    French wave 2.jpg

^^^^^^Love it!

Here is another one, Aussies do it again.
    This break is way way out towards the south pole from Tas.
    Oh and if you look at the photo, you can see behind him the exhaust trace of the jet ski, the rider must have been mad to be inside like that!!

Toads - Tas..jpg

Tasmanian surfer Tyler Hollmer Cross wins $20,000 for epic wave

Date
    March 13, 2014

Damien Murphy

Tasmania has become a big deal in the sport of surfing.

Pedra Branca is a rock covered by bird droppings that looks like a ruined Mayan pyramid about 26 kilometres off the south coast of Tasmania.

A colony of skinks has been trapped there since the land link to Tasmania subsided 15,000 years ago. Abel Tasman first spotted the 2.5-hectare rock in 1642. A Japanese fishing trawler ran into it in 1973 and sank with the loss of 21 lives.

It also breeds waves they call TOADS - Take Off And Die.
    -

"I'm super stoked to receive this award and can't wait to get home and celebrate": Tyler Hollmer Cross. Photo: Supplied

One afternoon late October last year surfer Tyler Hollmer Cross let go of a tow rope as a jet ski powered away leaving him skipping across water on the back of a giant bucking swell marching out of the depths towards Pedra Branca.
    Advertisement

Seconds later as the swell stood vertical, the 27-year-old Tasmanian dropped down the face of the glassy 10-metre wave and desperately cranked a bottom turn in hope of running right away from the rock face to the safety of the shoulder as the wave backed off in deeper water.

It was enough to win Hollmer Cross $20,000 in the ''biggest wave'' category of Surfing Life's Oakley Big Wave Awards.
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 13th March 2014 at 21:03.