Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much Wine into Thailand duty free.

How much Wine into Thailand duty free.

I have been looking at taking some quality wine into LOS for my wedding reception.
    I have looked at the Thai gov. website as per what you can bring into the country and haven't seen a mention of wine, only beer and alcohol/spirits!
    Are you allow to take a cumulative amount like say 1litre of Scotch and 6 bottles of wine. I know the taxes on imported liquor is shocking in LOS, I would like to avoid paying thru the nose for some wine there.

Has anybody on the board taken wine into LOS duty free, how much can you take?
    Is it better to buy it at Brisbane airport or Phuket airport before going thru customs?

Cheers,
    Damo

Someone will know the actual DF amount but I'll make 2 observations....

1./ Do NOT buy DF wine at BNE, it's a rip-off. Better to buy on special at say FirstChoice or BWS. Spirits are cheapest at KUL, if passing thru.
    2./ Wine carried inside baggage is seldom (I'd say almost never) checked and you could bring in a suitcase load ... into HKT late evening, no problem unless carrying too much in DF carry bags which might attract a 'thirsty' Customs man.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    I am not sure of the amount, this trip I had 4 x bottles in my check in baggage, all bought at home from Liquorland, no problems or questions.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    One litre of liquor/wine is the official duty-free allowance.
    I've only been checked once over a multitude of trips in 8 years - that was when I had a trolley full of suitcases moving to here.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I had some Vodka in my check in bag on the way back from Ukraine one time and the thing was smashed from some rough handling and left an awful mess amongst my belongings....wouldn`t do that again.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post

1./ Do NOT buy DF wine at BNE, it's a rip-off. Better to buy on special at say FirstChoice or BWS. Spirits are cheapest at KUL, if passing thru.
    2./ Wine carried inside baggage is seldom (I'd say almost never) checked and you could bring in a suitcase load ... into HKT late evening, no problem unless carrying too much in DF carry bags which might attract a 'thirsty' Customs man.
    Totally agree with this.
    Buy in the shop in Oz.
    Wrap / roll it into your clothes to cushion it.
    Ive never been stopped.

Duty free wine in OZ now only means no GST so buying retail on special could well be cheaper.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post

Totally agree with this.
    Buy in the shop in Oz.
    Wrap / roll it into your clothes to cushion it.
    Ive never been stopped.
    Mf GF normally takes a couple of small 2 Litre Casks wrapped in towels in her suitcase when we go, and has never been stopped in Thailand.
    Done the same when she went to Bali and got pinged.
    One not very happy camper when she rang that evening, me telling her I told you so did not go down well.

As far as I know it is only 1 bottle of wine or Spirit up to 1Litre. I did try and buy wine and spirit (1 bottle of each), in the Uk, but would only sell me one or the other (not both).

Damo, if you are looking for a few cases, try and find a distributor in Thailand and see if they will ship direct to you. I can only drink very low alcohol beer now for medical reasons, and found some reasonable stuff here in Australia, I contacted the distributor in BKK to try and find some outlets that sell what I want, and they offered to ship me 3 or more cases anywhere I wanted in Thailand. Gave a price list and all needed to complete the transaction.
    If you can find some wine distributors that will do the same thing, you may save a few dollars. Also I have not been to this place, but there is supposedly a winery just out of Hua Hin that sells some pretty good Thai produced wines. I can't remember the name at present, but they may have cellar door sales/shipping like they do here in Australia.
    If you want, I can try and find out for you, won't take to much time to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Duty free wine in OZ now only means no GST so buying retail on special could well be cheaper.
    A lot cheaper to by from bottle shop than Duty Free. Last time I looked, they were wanting $12-13 for wines that you would pay 7-8 in the bottle shop

Some of the wines now sold in Thailand like the Chilean you can get for about 400-500baht for the cheapest, and is really quite good. We have drunk Chilean here in Australia and found it to be very good, so had no problem with drinking it in LOS. In Patong, Wine Connection normally has a good range.
    Last year in the UK they were selling Argentinian Red's in a lot of the pubs and I has some with a steak one night and was as good as anything I have drunk in Australia

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post

Some of the wines now sold in Thailand like the Chilean you can get for about 400-500baht for the cheapest, and is really quite good. We have drunk Chilean here in Australia and found it to be very good, so had no problem with drinking it in LOS.
    At our recent Xmas lunch wine and drinks were included in the price. They had a Chilean wine there that i had more than a couple of glasses of and found it quite nice. I can usually only drink one or two but this one went down easily.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    i always bring around 4 bottles..have never been stopped in many many trips....i always wrapp them in a some bubble wrap and put into a plastic bag and them amongst your clothes...at least if they break...its not going to get into your clothes

its seems that you ozzydamo are going need quiet a few bottles for your reception...approach one of the wine merchants lhere and try get a discount...most wine in los is exspensive thou..bring the good stuff for yourself... let the rabble drink the local stuff 55555

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post

Some of the wines now sold in Thailand like the Chilean you can get for about 400-500baht for the cheapest, and is really quite good. We have drunk Chilean here in Australia and found it to be very good, so had no problem with drinking it in LOS.
    At our recent Xmas lunch wine and drinks were included in the price. They had a Chilean wine there that i had more than a couple of glasses of and found it quite nice. I can usually only drink one or two but this one went down easily.
    I must admit that have only tried the reds, but as I said, what I had was very nice

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

I must admit that have only tried the reds, but as I said, what I had was very nice
    Last hotel we stayed in BKK had Chilean wines but they also had Australian reds (cab sav South OZ)
    we went the Oz red how do you think the Chilean compares?

You guys are a wealth of knowledge, almost over whelming!
    the wine would be for the couple of farangs at the reception, only drama is as a scuba diver nutter, weight is an issue for luggage- maybe paying a little vat tax is better then extra weight charges. especially at $25/kg......probably try sneaking 4 bottles an a bottle each of whiskey.
    Thank you all!
    Damon
    Last edited by OzzyDamo; 7th February 2013 at 15:03.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post

Last hotel we stayed in BKK had Chilean wines but they also had Australian reds (cab sav South OZ)
    The ones I tried in Australia would compare to anything in the $8-10 range. It was on special and bought just to drink during the week as a cheap alternative. If you like Jacobs Creek/Banrock Station/Rawsons Retreat wines around the $10 mark, then the Chilean ones stack up well against them

Just looked on Wine Connection Thailand website and Chilean ones start at just under 400baht and go upto about 600 (mainly Cab Sav & Merlot) and a slightly dearer alternative the South African ones start around the 600baht upwards mark. Bearing in mind the import tax applied to the wines on sale, the prices seem to me pretty reasonable.
    Last edited by chelski; 7th February 2013 at 15:12.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

The ones I tried in Australia would compare to anything in the $8-10 range. It was on special and bought just to drink during the week as a cheap alternative. If you like Jacobs Creek/Banrock Station/Rawsons Retreat wines around the $10 mark, then the Chilean ones stack up well against them
    Those you mention are the daily staples so the Chileans cant be all bad.
    Will have a crack.

I would thought that palate cleansing dry whites go better with Issan food, now you got me thinking.....

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyDamo View Post

I would thought that palate cleansing dry whites go better with Issan food, now you got me thinking.....
    Damo I am a lover of any sort of Larb dish and always drink red with it in the same way that you would with an Indian Curry.
    The make up of red wine goes well with the spices.

If you were having BBQ chicken/fish/pork dishes, then I would normally have white.
    But that is my preference, other people may have differing opinions

With Thai food you need to be careful with the acidity in some whites.
    All the TG wine drinkers around here drink red.
    Merlot and its blends can carry Thai food IMHO.
    You can buy quite drinkable OZ wines, Chilean etc here for around 600 baht.
    Be wary of the cheaper French and Italian wines - they don't travel well in the heat here IMHO.

The Chilean wines have come a long way.
    I remember buying Chilean reds in Canada in the 60s - they came with wired down corks like champagne!
    Last edited by Zablive; 7th February 2013 at 15:32.

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    I cut this from a trip report post on PI that I posted March 2010.

Earlier I posted in another thread about how much wine we could carry, anyway when I weighed the 2 cartons of 6 white and 6 red before I left they were 8kg each so a total of 16kg. I considered paying for extra weight but the thought of having to go through customs in Malaysia put me off. Thailand I would have chanced it as a small bribe to the relevant authorities and we would have been right. Im not sure how well that would have gone down in Malaysia. So Ning packed three bottles in each bag wrapped up in t-shirts. Well Ning and I put our bags into the Malaysian customs xray machine during transit and were just walking off when they grabbed Ning. Fcuk I thought. The guy opens her bag and feels one or two of the bottles through the cloths and asks her what it is? She replies "Wine" and he says 2 bottles and she says "Yes", my jaw dropped, I thought now we're stuffed. I jumped in and said we are on our way to Bangkok and he says "Now"? and I said "Yes" and he goes "Ok no problems" and off we went. No idea why they didnt stop me as I had 3 bottles packed exactly the same.

Arrived at Bangkok about 8:30 and was off the plane and into a Taxi within 20mins of exiting the aircraft, no customs to be seen.

My boss got caught in Phuket with 1 doz bottles in a box. got taken out the back paid 2000Bt and was free to go.

Im tempted to take 1 x doz this trip as I have 30kg baggage, I would make sure they are packed really well in foam + Box, and hopefully that are not dropped or thrown around

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast