Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emirates A380 - Terror at 27,000ft

Emirates A380 - Terror at 27,000ft

Terror at 27,000ft: Crew plug gap in super jumbo jet door with blankets and pillows stuck together with gaffer tape after it 'blows open' during the flight

A British tourist told yesterday of his flight of terror when he claims an emergency exit on a super jumbo blew open at 27,000ft.

David Reid and his son Lewis feared a bomb had gone off after hearing a ‘massive explosion’ two hours into their flight on the brand new 250million Emirates Airbus A380.

Freezing air blasted in and the cabin pressure plunged after the door in business class came an inch and a half ajar, leaving a gaping hole, said Mr Reid.

Read more: My terror at 27,000ft: Jet door blew open and crew plugged gap with blankets, says Briton | Mail Online

My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    That could have been a lot worse...i`d rather wait until they sort out issues on new models before i trust them.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

I've flown the Emirates A380 a few times over the last couple of years. Very nice plane. Though we were stuck on the tarmac in Dubai with the temperature at 38 degrees... as they couldn't get the aircon to work... finally it did... after 3 hours. And we took off.

But how long do you give a new plane to bed in? They have been flying a few years now...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Flying Dubai to BKK in just over a week on an Emerates A380.. Thanks for the heads up... Not 555555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

But how long do you give a new plane to bed in? They have been flying a few years now...
    I guess one hasn`t dropped out of the sky as yet so maybe after they find and fix the door issue it may be ok
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    All my trips to LOS have been with them and on the 380.
    As my reports tell I have always been on the exit seat, guess in an emergency they could use me to plug the leak 55555

I'm guessing someone didn't "Arm and cross check" before takeoff, otherwise once opened at all the emergency slide would have blown out.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

It's a media beat-up. Aircraft doors open inward. A seal failed, not the door. Read all responses below main story to get a complete picture.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    It's a media beat-up. Aircraft doors open inward. A seal failed, not the door. Read all responses below main story to get a complete picture.
    maybe so kaptain but it would still be very unnerving to see green instead of red above the door .

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Does the green really mean "open". My first thought it would mean locked/OK

Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    Does the green really mean "open". My first thought it would mean locked/OK
    Nothing to do with the door ... it's an 'attendant call light'.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Nothing to do with the door ... it's an 'attendant call light'.
    OK. Could it be a parachute Jump Light?

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    The green light means that the outside dunny is un-occupied.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Last time on the way home I got up and went for a walk and paused to look out the door window. One thing is for sure, that's the last time I EVER lean against one of the doors while the plane is in flight.

Last edited by Changone; 20th February 2013 at 13:44.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

That pic reminds me of the story of a NZ Crewman who climbed out on a wing during flight on a Wellington bomber during WWII to put out engine fires. That was gutsy and well deserved a VC. Ward was his surname i think.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    That pic reminds me of the story of a NZ Crewman who climbed out on a wing during flight on a Wellington bomber during WWII to put out engine fires. That was gutsy and well deserved a VC. Ward was his surname i think.
    Maybe this fella Bri...What a legend.

James Ward VC | NZHistory, New Zealand history online
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    You 100% certain about that Lob?

You may want to lie down to watch this 55555

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    You 100% certain about that Lob?

~
    Yes I'm certain Baz.

See here LINKY re "Plug doors are used on most modern airliners, particularly for the small passenger doors. However, since plug doors must open inward..."

Upon cabin de-pressurisation and dis-arming, A380 cabin doors OPEN inward by a fairly sophisticated (they sort of shrink and tilt) mechanism (as seen in the video) and may then be swung outside the fuselage. The plug and seal design in a modern airliner will not permit a door to blow open by mechanical or electrical failure during flight.

More about the media beat-up here > CLICKY <

A funny dialogue here on airliners.net ... worth reading all the way down > CLICKY <
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    ^^^ From your own reference your assertion is partially true.

"On some aircraft the plug door opens partially inward, and through a complex hinge design can be tilted to fit through the fuselage opening, or the door may have locking hinged panels at the top and bottom edges that can make it smaller than the opening, so that it may be swung outward."

.However are you saying the doors are opened inward and are inside the cabin when passengers embark or disembark?

If not - they open outwards.
    QED

I'm confused. Was that video of an A380? So it was open outside the plane? And the next video shows an Air Stewardess opening the door outwards on an A380 as well. What's going on? As the literature does suggest this doesn't happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I'm confused. Was that video of an A380? So it was open outside the plane? And the next video shows an Air Stewardess opening the door outwards on an A380 as well. What's going on? As the literature does suggest this doesn't happen...
    You need to understand the principle. Imagine a bathroom sink plug and waste was oval in shape, not flat and round. By lifting and rotating the oval plug thru 50 to 90 degrees you could then push it down the plug hole. But the plug must be lifted UP before rotation and pushing DOWN the plug hole.

A modern passenger jet CABIN door [not cargo door], opens INWARD. Only after opening may the A380 door be swung outside the fuselage.

Baz said
    However are you saying the doors are opened inward and are inside the cabin when passengers embark or disembark?

If not - they open outwards.
    QED
    Of course the A380 door is outside the aircraft upon disembarkation. But first it had to be opened INWARDS. It's not rocket science but possibly beyond some to comprehend without viewing the door in operation, not just in 2D video. Baz playing with words, as usual 5555
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast