Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 632
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: Who likes maps?

  1. #541
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,375
    I'm happy to see that the art of cartography is still in existence.

    Those of us that do it tend to be anal loners willing to spend the time doing shit that nobody else is interested in. 5555

  2. #542
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Lots more 'other' religions in one of the worlds most populous Moslem countries.

    The country in grey.. "Richism"?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  3. #543
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    World Map of Isochronic Distances 1881

    That's brilliant , not seen anything like this before

    Francis Galton's first known isochronic map published for the Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society, 1881. It shows the travel times in 1881 from London, United Kingdom to different parts of the world in days. It assumes that there are favourable travel conditions and that travel arrangements over land have been made in advance. It assumes travelling methods of the day within a reasonable cost

    a similar map now would probably be in hours not days

  4. #544
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    That's brilliant , not seen anything like this before

    Francis Galton's first known isochronic map published for the Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society, 1881. It shows the travel times in 1881 from London, United Kingdom to different parts of the world in days. It assumes that there are favourable travel conditions and that travel arrangements over land have been made in advance. It assumes travelling methods of the day within a reasonable cost

    a similar map now would probably be in hours not days
    Still two days to NZ... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  5. #545
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Still two days to NZ... 55
    Who wants to go there anyway , can't be that good , all the Kiwis on this board have left
    Quarky, PeteGill and Hatari like this.

  6. #546
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Who wants to go there anyway , can't be that good , all the Kiwis on this board have left
    Cuzzy is still there.. 55
    Stillearly likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  7. #547
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    The country in grey.. "Richism"?
    Sabah and Sarawak .... provinces of Malaysia , not Indo,

  8. #548
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Sabah and Sarawak .... provinces of Malaysia , not Indo,
    ...also Brunei.... but yeah not Indo...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  9. #549
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14,008
    Shipwrecks around the world all from WW2




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    PeteGill and Hatari like this.

  10. #550
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,985
    UK looks dangerous for ships.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  11. #551
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,375
    Too bad that half of North America is missing. There have been lots of sunken ships along the Pacific west coast. I've visited a few of them myself.

  12. #552
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    UK looks dangerous for ships.
    During WW2 it was....

  13. #553
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,985
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    During WW2 it was....
    Ahhh.. I read it as since WW2. But that makes more sense now.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  14. #554
    Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Hatari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    6,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Too bad that half of North America is missing. There have been lots of sunken ships along the Pacific west coast. I've visited a few of them myself.
    Map is for WWII - guessing the Japanese did not venture as far as USA west coast to attack shipping?
    Moo Uaon likes this.

  15. #555
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,943
    ^ don't spoil his story 555
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  16. #556
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Map is for WWII - guessing the Japanese did not venture as far as USA west coast to attack shipping?
    Actually, the Japanese did, but there weren't any attacks... or at least not many. There is still the remains of concrete gun turrets from the Second world war era on the west coast and off Point Grey in Vancouver.

  17. #557
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Ahhh.. I read it as since WW2. But that makes more sense now.
    From as opposed to after, can I lend you my specs 555

    Reminds me of a work mate's non too bright blond daughter. We got her a job with one of our vendors as a call desk agent.
    I mailed her about some outstanding calls and expected repair times.
    Next day her dad thanked me for telling her that she was doing an 'outstanding' job.. I had to let him down easy.

    Needless to say she did not last too long in that position and went on to earn far more money as a waitress at Hooters 5555
    Quarky, Chob, Ian Forbes and 1 others like this.

  18. #558
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,360
    ^ and that was even though she probably fcuked up the drink orders regularly ... lol
    PeteGill likes this.

  19. #559
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,360
    Japanese bombing of the US West Coast in WWII

    BUT - in the Atlantic ...The attacks on the North Sea Merchantman Fleets delivering relief to a desperate and fading UK war effort are the stuff of ( quiet ) legends.

    The recognition that those poor fellows who died simply by freezing to death after having survived torpedo attacks and getting soaking wet into a life boat with no chance of ever seeing rescue is a hugely untold story of sacrifice of massive proportions of WW 2. At least some 36,000 Merchant Navy men died like this over the war period.
    Thats what lots of those wrecks are about ...

    There was a period of 'romantiscising' the German U Boat Wolf packs by both sides ...
    Well fcuk that .
    In my mind it was a turkey shoot of targets unable to defend themselves in any way.
    The Kriegsmarine were extremely well trained mariners , no doubt , but the better educated and trained , the more they must have been left questioning how they had ended up engaging those who could not fight them back , and that essentially their job was to kill sailors ( as they were ) , BUT who had never enlisted to fight .

    Yet another reason to remind any man to think carefully before he votes for , or enlists for , or trains for war.
    That boy "sent" will never know what sort of evils he will be 'ordered' to perpetrate in the pursuit of victory.
    Last edited by Chob; 15th August 2018 at 02:08.
    Quarky and Ian Forbes like this.

  20. #560
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Japanese bombing of the US West Coast in WWII

    BUT - in the Atlantic ...The attacks on the North Sea Merchantman Fleets delivering relief to a desperate and fading UK war effort are the stuff of ( quiet ) legends.

    The recognition that those poor fellows who died simply by freezing to death after having survived torpedo attacks and getting soaking wet into a life boat with no chance of ever seeing rescue is a hugely untold story of sacrifice of massive proportions of WW 2. At least some 36,000 Merchant Navy men died like this over the war period.
    Thats what lots of those wrecks are about ...

    There was a period of 'romantiscising' the German U Boat Wolf packs...
    Well fcuk that .
    In my mind it was a turkey shoot of targets unable to defend themselves in any way.
    The Kriegsmarine were extremely well trained mariners , no doubt , but the better educated and trained , the more they must have been left questioning how they had ended up engaging those who could not fight them back , and that essentially their job was to starve British civillans into submission..

    Yet another reason to remind any man to think carefully before he votes for , or enlists for , or trains for war.
    That boy will never know what sort of evils he will be 'ordered' to perpetrate in the pursuit of victory.
    A German navy man told me that after the war the U boat crews suicided by the thousands...
    My father was one of those Merchant marine men because he was too old to be a soldier. Some of the stories he told were scary just to listen to.

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •