The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Who likes maps?

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    From as opposed to after, can I lend you my specs 555

Reminds me of a work mate's non too bright blond daughter. We got her a job with one of our vendors as a call desk agent.
    I mailed her about some outstanding calls and expected repair times.
    Next day her dad thanked me for telling her that she was doing an 'outstanding' job.. I had to let him down easy.

Needless to say she did not last too long in that position and went on to earn far more money as a waitress at Hooters 5555
    You saying I could get a job at Hooters? ..55
    PeteGill likes this.
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Japanese bombing of the US West Coast in WWII

BUT - in the Atlantic ...The attacks on the North Sea Merchantman Fleets delivering relief to a desperate and fading UK war effort are the stuff of ( quiet ) legends.

The recognition that those poor fellows who died simply by freezing to death after having survived torpedo attacks and getting soaking wet into a life boat with no chance of ever seeing rescue is a hugely untold story of sacrifice of massive proportions of WW 2. At least some 36,000 Merchant Navy men died like this over the war period.
    Thats what lots of those wrecks are about ...

There was a period of 'romantiscising' the German U Boat Wolf packs by both sides ...
    Well fcuk that .
    In my mind it was a turkey shoot of targets unable to defend themselves in any way.
    The Kriegsmarine were extremely well trained mariners , no doubt , but the better educated and trained , the more they must have been left questioning how they had ended up engaging those who could not fight them back , and that essentially their job was to kill sailors ( as they were ) , BUT who had never enlisted to fight .

Yet another reason to remind any man to think carefully before he votes for , or enlists for , or trains for war.
    That boy "sent" will never know what sort of evils he will be 'ordered' to perpetrate in the pursuit of victory.
    I love the movie '1941', especially the John Belushi scenes! Speilberg even paradies his own film 'Jaws' in the opening sequence, classic!

I read that a similar Jap plane launched from a sub flew under the Harbour Bridge in Sydney before the attack there.
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    I love the movie '1941', especially the John Belushi scenes! Speilberg even paradies his own film 'Jaws' in the opening sequence, classic!

I read that a similar Jap plane launched from a sub flew under the Harbour Bridge in Sydney before the attack there.
    Not quite but interesting story...

https://www.ozatwar.com/japrecce/recce21.htm
    Bawdy likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    You saying I could get a job at Hooters? ..55
    You may just need to spend time in Bangkok for some 'enhancement' first 5555
    Distantpeak likes this.

Platinum
    When you look at a map of Ireland it is sometimes said to resemble a teddy bear with the head being Northern Ireland.

Which meant a rebel tune was penned called ‘here’s up the rebels give back our Teddy’s head’

Best line is ass is always facing England.

Hatari likes this.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Hatariland, 1775-style

Wiki: Galicia (/ɡəˈlɪʃ(i)ə/; Ukrainian and Rusyn: Галичина, Halyčyna; Polish: Galicja; Czech and Slovak: Halič; German: Galizien; Hungarian: Galícia/Kaliz/Gácsország/Halics; Romanian: Galiția/Halici; Russian: Галиция, Galitsiya; Yiddish: גאַליציע‎ Galitsiye) is a historical and geographic region in Central Europe once a small Kingdom of Galicia–Volhynia and later a crown land of Austria-Hungary, the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria, that straddled the modern-day border between Poland and Ukraine.
    The area, which is named after the medieval city of Halych, was first mentioned in Hungarian historical chronicles in the year 1206 as Galicić.
    In 1253, prince Daniel of Galicia was crowned as the King of Rus (Latin: Rex Rusiae) or King of Ruthenia following the Mongol invasion in Ruthenia (Kyivan Rus). In 1352 Kingdom of Galicia and Volhynia was annexed by the Kingdom of Poland as Ruthenian Voivodeship (Latin: Palatinatus Russiae).
    Last edited by Hatari; 18th August 2018 at 17:03.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ reading the first part I thought your account had been hacked.!
    Distantpeak likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    ^
    Yes, the 'other' Galicia, Spanish-style ...
    8th of next month a friend begins walking the Camino de Santiago trail, starting in the Pyrenees, 695km on foot in six weeks, it ends in Galicia

Last edited by Hatari; 18th August 2018 at 18:23.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    US scientists have released what they say is the most accurate high-resolution map of Antarctica ever created.

The new map, called the Reference Elevation Model of Antarctica (REMA), was created by scientists at Ohio State University in collaboration with the Polar Geospatial Center at the University of Minnesota and the University of Illinois.

It has a resolution of two to eight metres, whereas typical maps have a resolution of 1000 metres, according to Ohio State University.

"It is the highest resolution terrain map by far of any continent," said Ian Howat, professor of earth sciences and director of the Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center at the university.
    Distantpeak likes this.

On Google maps there are some strange looking rectangular objects in isolated spots... I wonder if they have disappeared now... 55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Countries in line with their populations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Half the world is in Indo-China. Will people equal power?

Has this been posted before?

Interesting world map printed by the Chinese.... that pre-dates Columbus and Captain Cook's visits to Australasia... Chinese got there first?

An ancient map that strongly suggests Chinese sea men were first round the world

THE brave seamen whose great voyages of exploration opened up the world are iconic figures in European history. Columbus found the New World in 1492; Dias discovered the Cape of Good Hope in 1488; and Magellan set off to circumnavigate the world in 1519. However, there is one difficulty with this confident assertion of European mastery: it may not be true.

It seems more likely that the world and all its continents were discovered by a Chinese admiral named Zheng He, whose fleets roamed the oceans between 1405 and 1435. His exploits, which are well documented in Chinese historical records, were written about in a book which appeared in China around 1418 called “The Marvellous Visions of the Star Raft”.

Cadet silver
    I love a map of Tassie

I read "1421.." in 2004 , and was enthralled.
    It asserts that the Chinese explored the world extensively 71 years before Columbus , and in so doing turned "accepted" naval history onto its head.

"The finished copy of the book was published in 2002 as 1421: The Year China Discovered the World (published as 1421: The Year China Discovered America in the United States).[14] The book is written informally, as a series of vignettes of Menzies' travels around the globe examining what he claims is evidence for his "1421 hypothesis", interspersed with speculation regarding the achievements of Admiral Zheng He's fleet.[6][14] Menzies states in the introduction that the book is an attempt to answer the question: "On some early European world maps, it appears that someone had charted and surveyed lands supposedly unknown to the Europeans. Who could have charted and surveyed these lands before they were 'discovered'?"

Of course the book upset Eurocentric historians who had worked so hard on developing the premise that , "Prince Henry the Navigator of Portugal instigated the 'discovery' of the New World !"
    Anyone ever been to Sagres , the Eastern most point of Europe? I have , and theres lots of remnants of Henrys school there and I was tempted to buy the Youth Hostel on that wind swept point ( The cost was a 90 year lease and 100k Euro at the time ) ...

For those not into it , PH financed Diaz and de Gama to -eventually - arrive in India and make Portugal , a tiny nation , fabulously wealthy ..

The Arabs ( and theres evidence that the Venetians from all their trade with Arabs ) already knew that the world was round , AND had maps from at least a hundred years earlier of the far east.
    Theres also evidence that a powerful young Prince.. aka the very same Henri ( and other wealthy traders as well ) ) had bought pricey copies of maps ( and some stolen ones ) , only supposedly privy to the Venetians most powerful merchants protecting their trade ( Marco Polo knew it ) with the 'unknown world' .
    And of course the Arabs knew of all the lands to the west of Arabia ( so, Europe ) and had regular trade with the East and knew those lands from the 9thC well..

https://www.amazon.com/1421-Year-Chi.../dp/B0091R30MS

Of course the book rocked the western world historians.

Because 1421 was some 70 years BEFORE Columbus had possibly seen those maps as well. . He had to convince the new kings of a united Spain , Ferdinand and Isabella , she btw had proudly stated she had only bathed TWICE in her life , so real products of the dark ages , to finance him to head for the far East by heading West.
    In so doing he stumbled upon the 'west Indies' . ( Note the word 'Indies' aka 'India' )

"Too late" , asserts Menzies , and sights numerous evidence that the Chinese had already been there ( since proven by DNA tests of American Indians , and chickens of all things )...

So it stands to reason that the Chinese , as extensive traders with the Arabs , as a place accepting tributes from as far away as Sri Lanka , Cambodia and Indonesia ) had , both by sea AND land ( the Silk Road ) also knew of lands far to the West.
    And , with the biggest sailing fleet ever known to mankind , also sailed east , and hit the Americas in 1422.

Regardless of how 'we' interpret the facts , the book is a damn good read , and still readily available
    ( The book when I last checked at airports was still available , and very readable )

Heres a link to Wikis position . ( Remember wiki only exists because of readers/'personal authorities' contributions and that if this was still the era of Charles Darwin he would be discredited at every turn as well , and particularly the West's scholars ..)
    ALSO : Menzies position has been taken up , and added to by CHINESE GOVERNMENT interests , wherein the pursuit of the glory of China in 'enhancing' the world has only served to cloud the facts.

In short , anything I read that serves to discredit someones personal history , rather than to talk about the facts presented in their work/book , I am immediately suspicious of.
    For me , and reading SE Asian history ( wherein all these little lands paid tribute in fear of Chines Emperors - including Angkor ) , the lands we today call 'China' had been way advanced way over and above the feudal backwaters of Europe... thus it is entirely possible they visited much of the world many years before any other 'nations'. This map may well indicate that.

Whatever , the book is still a good read , and its by a very well traveled man ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Menzies
    Last edited by Chob; 19th September 2018 at 00:09.
    Distantpeak likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Came across this tonight. Not sure if posted before or not.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Distantpeak and Ian Forbes like this.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast