Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Calls from TGs

  1. #1
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pattaya
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,010

    Calls from TGs

    I have been curious to know for a while if anyone else has had the same problems as i am finding. When Noy calls me it sometimes comes up with her number and other times will come up with "Unknown/Private". Is this the fact that it is an International call and it can use different lines at times or is it that she has set it to be Unknown?

    A bit of background; She is not very good with technology(and don't think she would know how to change this setting), She uses a AIS as her provider, I use Telstra, she has a Nokia and I have a HTC.

  2. #2
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,344
    Does she always call from her mobile? Or could she be calling from her laptop on Skype? I have an HTC as well and it has never said unknown when from a TGs phone. Could she occassionally borrow a friend's phone if she has run out of credit?

  3. #3
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    Thip has 2 phones and they both come up private here, but over there they come up listed

  4. #4
    Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    1,055
    When I call back to Aus with my Thai sim (True), I'm told it comes up as private, unknown, overseas or simply nothing. Very rarely does the number come up. It all seems to be a bit random.

  5. #5
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    When I call back to Aus with my Thai sim (True), I'm told it comes up as private, unknown, overseas or simply nothing. Very rarely does the number come up. It all seems to be a bit random.
    Ditto.....when the sister in law calls from Thailand 99% comes up as "Private", every now and then we get her number....CLI (caller line id) is/was carried seperately to the call data, I am more surprised when it gets thru than when it does not.

    fftopic:
    (It still amazes me that the call gets thru at all when you consider the agreements and hand-holding of different communications carriers that a single international mobile-to-mobile call requires - and then consider how everybody involved gets their share of the single fee you paid for that call.)

    Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

  6. #6
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Ditto.....when the sister in law calls from Thailand 99% comes up as "Private", every now and then we get her number....CLI (caller line id) is/was carried seperately to the call data, I am more surprised when it gets thru than when it does not.

    fftopic:
    (It still amazes me that the call gets thru at all when you consider the agreements and hand-holding of different communications carriers that a single international mobile-to-mobile call requires - and then consider how everybody involved gets their share of the single fee you paid for that call.)

    Enjoy
    The phone system is amazing... When you consider the randomness of the Thai postal system. I sent a Valentines card last year... it took 3 months to arrive! 555 And my mum sent me a Christmas card while I was living in Bangkok... she posted it from NZ in Novmber... it never arrived before I left at the end of December...

  7. #7
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    3,222
    I got call from TG 2am one morning woke me up, said Private Number (though number is in my contacts) much the same think it even said something about been blocked, but staggered around to answer it, couldn't hear jack shyte because of the music in the bar and the noise, so ended up a waste of time, then had to try to get back to sleep as had to be up for work 2 1/2 hours later
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

  8. #8
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pattaya
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,010
    She only ever calls me from her mobile, Sometimes if she doesn't have credit she will use a friends phone. Sounds like I am not the only person with the problem(if you would call it that). It does happen randomly and like above its more rare to have her number actually show up. When I am in LOS the number always shows up.

  9. #9
    Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    or is it that she has set it to be Unknown?
    I think we can safely say that's not the case.

    Relax and don't think too mutt.

  10. #10
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pattaya
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    I think we can safely say that's not the case.

    Relax and don't think too mutt.
    555 thanks, TBH I was just curious to know, it did worry me initially until I asked her why she keeps hiding her number and got the reply of "mai khao jai" and just gathered it was a network issue. I was bored on Night shift last night so thought I would ask the question.

  11. #11
    Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Posts
    2,060
    ive always had it come up as private when ive had a call from overseas !

  12. #12
    Windy
    Guest
    Strange, when my TGF calls me from LOS on her mobile to my mobile in Aust, it always comes up with her name. Not sure what carrier she is using.
    I never answer though, she just calls for about 10 secs and then hangs up, that is my signal to call her back using my Skype to her mobile. I have a Skype subscription that is about $15 a month for unlimited calls to various countries, including Thailand landlines and mobiles. I have found this the cheapest way. Anyone know of a cheaper way?, not that I am worried with $15 per month.

  13. #13
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pattaya
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    Strange, when my TGF calls me from LOS on her mobile to my mobile in Aust, it always comes up with her name. Not sure what carrier she is using.
    I never answer though, she just calls for about 10 secs and then hangs up, that is my signal to call her back using my Skype to her mobile. I have a Skype subscription that is about $15 a month for unlimited calls to various countries, including Thailand landlines and mobiles. I have found this the cheapest way. Anyone know of a cheaper way?, not that I am worried with $15 per month.
    At one stage I was talking to a friend in LOS and whenever she would call when i always came up with her number. With my GF that is not the case now. I put in down to the carriers or even the lines used to call internationally

    Have a took into Lebara or Lyca, they are pretty cheap but for $15 a month unlimited calls I don't think you will be able to get much better. I use a few different thing. Lyca mobile sim, Skype (my GF has a laptop now so it is free for as long as i want), There are a few Phone cards that are very good and cheap (but lines are not the best for all). Myself and a couple others on here also use MyNetFone (another Voip Carrier) I think 2.9c a min with no flagfall.

    There are a few options available but you seem to have a good deal

  14. #14
    Windy
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    At one stage I was talking to a friend in LOS and whenever she would call when i always came up with her number. With my GF that is not the case now. I put in down to the carriers or even the lines used to call internationally

    Have a took into Lebara or Lyca, they are pretty cheap but for $15 a month unlimited calls I don't think you will be able to get much better. I use a few different thing. Lyca mobile sim, Skype (my GF has a laptop now so it is free for as long as i want), There are a few Phone cards that are very good and cheap (but lines are not the best for all). Myself and a couple others on here also use MyNetFone (another Voip Carrier) I think 2.9c a min with no flagfall.

    There are a few options available but you seem to have a good deal
    Thanks, yeah $15 a month is a pretty good deal, especailly since we had been doing about 3 hours a week on the phone to get good records for her Tourist Visa.
    After reading an earlier post from you, I have ordered a Lebara sim card for her mobile for when she gets here on the 16th. Easier for her to use the mobile to call home than get on the PC for Skype, unless its going to be a long call!

    But no problem getting on a PC here, I work remotely from home so have two work desktops, plus my home desktop and netbook, not to mention 5 x 22inch monitors

  15. #15
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    But no problem getting on a PC here, I work remotely from home so have two work desktops, plus my home desktop and netbook, not to mention 5 x 22inch monitors
    NERD ALERT, NERD ALERT... only joking 555

  16. #16
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pattaya
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    Thanks, yeah $15 a month is a pretty good deal, especailly since we had been doing about 3 hours a week on the phone to get good records for her Tourist Visa.
    After reading an earlier post from you, I have ordered a Lebara sim card for her mobile for when she gets here on the 16th. Easier for her to use the mobile to call home than get on the PC for Skype, unless its going to be a long call!

    But no problem getting on a PC here, I work remotely from home so have two work desktops, plus my home desktop and netbook, not to mention 5 x 22inch monitors
    hahaha sounds like being at my work 555. I know I will be getting my GF a Lyca one, as I use that myself and can get lyca to lyca free calls. Also will be good for her to call mum and her friends

  17. #17
    Windy
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    NERD ALERT, NERD ALERT... only joking 555
    One is for my PC, and need four for work !

  18. #18
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    One is for my PC, and need four for work !
    I figured as much... sorry didn't mean to take the piss 555..
    What is your work?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •