Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: I'll be glad when your dead...and rich to!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar

I'll be glad when your dead...and rich to!

I was talking to a work colleague recently and the summary of his life plan could be described as follows: stay with an ice-princess bitch hes married to until she gets a large inheritance from a vinegary and nasty grandmother that they both hate but pretend to love.

This plan may take some time to come to fruition as it seems grandma is already 10 years past a hoped for expiry date.

I guess having close relatives who are unlikely to ever have anything beyond their funeral expenses to leave me makes it hard for me to understand this position but even if I did have a rich relative or two I cant imagine I would plan my future around their mortality.

What about you?
    Life is the unexpected ...

Mrs M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    I was talking to a work colleague recently and the summary of his life plan could be described as follows: stay with an ice-princess bitch hes married to until she gets a large inheritance from a vinegary and nasty grandmother that they both hate but pretend to love.

This plan may take some time to come to fruition as it seems grandma is already 10 years past a hoped for expiry date.

I guess having close relatives who are unlikely to ever have anything beyond their funeral expenses to leave me makes it hard for me to understand this position but even if I did have a rich relative or two I cant imagine I would plan my future around their mortality.

What about you?
    Scaryyyyyy ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    ...having close relatives who are unlikely to ever have anything beyond their funeral expenses to leave me
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs M. View Post
    Scaryyyyyy ;P
    Don't be scared most are still in good health fftopic:

Mmmm... so if I had a rich relative who I knew I would get millions from if they died? Other than nudge them down stairs quickly, I wouldn't change anything in my life...

I may be unique in this... but as I have gotten older I plan less... I take more risks... I think I am like Benjamin Button... I was born old and will die young... 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    My sister and I will do alright with the inheritance from our folks... we have a constant joke with them about it, saying that we will commit them to the mental asylum as it only requires 2 signatures from family members...555

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I am out of the will. SO i guess thats the answer.
    Life is what I make it not what i might get. Planning for what you might get stifles what you might create and somehow makes you a lesser person. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    ....I may be unique in this... but as I have gotten older I plan less... I take more risks... I think I am like Benjamin Button... I was born old and will die young... 555
    The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A death. Whats that, a bonus?!?!

I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you go live in an old age home. You get kicked out for being too healthy, go collect your pension, then, when you start work, you get a gold watch on your first day.

You work forty years until youre young enough to enjoy your retirement. You drink alcohol, you party, and you get ready for high school. You go to primary school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities.

You become a little baby, you go back, spend your last 9 months floating with luxuries like central heating, spa, room service on tap, then you finish off as an orgasm! Amen.

- George Costanza

^Poetic and by a great man 55555 Does sound appealing though.
    Might just stay a kid my last wife said i was a child so maybe i am doing ok.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    I am out of the will. SO i guess thats the answer.
    Life is what I make it not what i might get. Planning for what you might get stifles what you might create and somehow makes you a lesser person. IMHO
    How could you ever be so sure about an inheritance anyway? They might change their Will and leave it to their cat at the 11th hour.

Sure it would be nice to daydream that you might one day - God & GFC Mark II willing - get a wheelbarrow full of cash you did not have to earn dropped at your door but to plan your remaining life around that day - IMHO, that's crazy.

Enjoy

George is so right... 555

Youth is wasted on the young...

But for me it's seeing too many friends and family die before their time that has snapped me out of my obsession with planning for the future... and forgetting to live today...

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    George is so right... 555

Youth is wasted on the young...

But for me it's seeing too many friends and family die before their time that has snapped me out of my obsession with planning for the future... and forgetting to live today...
    An 80 year old friend of ours recently told me that life had taught her that its always later than you think - I tend to remember that advice when making decisions about the future now.

Enjoy

I just want to say, I don't sit around waiting for my folks to drop off the perch in anticipation of a big lump sum coming my way... I am the 6th generation in a family business and the wealth my folks hold is intertwined into the business.... IMHO I hope one day to pass the business onto the next generation just as it will be passed onto me... I remember hearing my Grandfather talk about it when I was a boy, the satisfaction he receives from passing a life time of working, savings and assets onto his sons, and If I am in the situation to I would be honored to be able to help my children financially
    The family business I have already dedicated near 20yrs of my life, and helped build it to strength that it is now, but never was it really about "one day it will be mine" more so the keeping up of our families tradition...

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I just want to say, I don't sit around waiting for my folks to drop off the perch in anticipation of a big lump sum coming my way... I am the 6th generation in a family business and the wealth my folks hold is intertwined into the business.... IMHO I hope one day to pass the business onto the next generation just as it will be passed onto me... I remember hearing my Grandfather talk about it when I was a boy, the satisfaction he receives from passing a life time of working, savings and assets onto his sons, and If I am in the situation to I would be honored to be able to help my children financially
    The family business I have already dedicated near 20yrs of my life, and helped build it to strength that it is now, but never was it really about "one day it will be mine" more so the keeping up of our families tradition...
    It is different if you go into the family business and work hard to carry on the enterprise! Totally different to waiting for the old bat to drop off the perch.55555

My ex came from a extremely wealthy family, her grandfather discovered gold in Bright, started yellow cabs in Melb.
    One day in Melb he was in a hotel and the manager was rude to his wife...he bought the hotel in Collins street i think.
    True story, anyway my ex's father went to Geelong grammar and i still have photos of him with kerry Packer. He was being groomed for the hotel business.....
    Well his dad got sick and his mother had passed on, his dad got cancer i think. Guess what he does?
    Leaves the bulk of his fortune to charity and my ex's dad and his 2 siblings get about 100.000 pounds each only!!
    Now still a tidy sum but a fraction of the fortune..........Sad story????
    Sad for some my ex's dad did not take it well and became a tram driver amongst other basic type job things...He now if he is still alive living near Cape Otway in the windiest wettest place in Victoria! In a transportable with no phone!!!!
    The other 2 siblings from their 100,000 pounds now own half of Toorak!!
    The point is no one else will do it for you....so why wait on the off chance!

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Hmnnn.....but IF you DID sit around and wait you'd still get the money one day, yes? (100% yours if that pesky sister had a mishap...I mean brake lines fail all the time, ya know) (;-)

I find your post fascinating, it is strong in what are even-to-me, old fashioned values. Are your feeling common in your generation?

Seriously, do you feel it is something that all responsible parents should aspire to - providing a running start for their kids? Can you see how some might see that as counter productive?

What about this SKIN movement amongst older Australians? (SKIN = Spend the Kids Inheritance Now). What's wrong with the person who earned the money spending it on themselves if they want to?

I am very interested in your response.

Enjoy

^^My dad is right into SKIN! He started early... I remember him telling me when I was about 14 that he had set aside a fund for me if I managed to get to university. Once I finished 7th form I mentioned that fund to him... and he said he had changed his mind and wanted me to learn to be self-sufficient. So instead of going to university I had to work for a year to save up some funds so I could afford to go to uni...

I'm glad now that he did force me to look after myself... though I don't think he really did it for my benefit... he just wanted the money for himself... 555

You are right Minder, If I sat around I would probably still get my share, and truth be known I feel I will have a battle on my hands to stop my sister carving up the assets (so thanks for the brake line tip 555)... This will sound a bit selfish, but it was about the time I realised my values... My Grandparents were still living in there family home after 60yrs when my Grandmother had a stroke, the family decided the best thing was to firstly, retire my grandfather from the business and then relocate them to a low level care retirement village... They also decided that they would sell their assets so they could receive the pension to become self sufficient financially... The problem with this, the retirement home is on a lease arrangement that cant be sold when they die and to receive the pension they were only allowed one house... The family or should I say my grandparents owned a beach house in Blairgowrie on the Mornington Peninsula which was sold for the pension... My Grandfather was not happy, even though he hadn't set foot in that house for over 20yrs... It was a valuable asset, one my parents will never be able to afford and one that I certainly wont... My Grandparents went without to provide that for the family... for what, so it can be sold off to give them $300 odd bucks a week for a pension they really didn't need... Its ironic, my folks when I asked why they sold it they said that they wanted them to be comfortable and that no one was using the beach house anymore... so what did they do that Xmas, rent a house no more than 5klm down the road..... arrrghh!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I just wanted to add my opinion. I would not mind if my parents used to SKIN way. The way I see it is they worked hard for that money so they are entitled to do with it as they will. I have not planned in any way how I am going to spend it if they do leave it to me and my brother. I would not even know how much they have, its none of my business. I know they have told us that we will get everything if something did happen (buddha forbid) but would not fase me too much if they choose to do with it as they ant while they can. As for me, my way of thinking (at the moment) is that when i have kids i want them to have a good life and will do what I can to give that to them. I like the idea of letting them learn to be self-sufficient as they get older, but at the same time would leave everything to my children in my will. I am sure my thought will change as I have children and as they get older but for now this is how i feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I just wanted to add my opinion. I would not mind if my parents used to SKIN way. The way I see it is they worked hard for that money so they are entitled to do with it as they will. I have not planned in any way how I am going to spend it if they do leave it to me and my brother. I would not even know how much they have, its none of my business. I know they have told us that we will get everything if something did happen (buddha forbid) but would not fase me too much if they choose to do with it as they ant while they can. As for me, my way of thinking (at the moment) is that when i have kids i want them to have a good life and will do what I can to give that to them. I like the idea of letting them learn to be self-sufficient as they get older, but at the same time would leave everything to my children in my will. I am sure my thought will change as I have children and as they get older but for now this is how i feel about it.
    Our thoughts change but our basic intent seems to run the same. Sounds like your on the right track.
    Self sufficiency is a good thing i sometimes wonder if i have been tooo over protective of my kids growing up they seem less self sufficient than i was at the same age but this could be a generational thing and maybe my dad thought the same!