Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Bangkok to Cambodia by bike

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Bangkok to Cambodia by bike

Another BM and I are meeting up in Bangkok on the 21st Feb and thinking hiring motor bikes and heading to Siam Reap or even PP.

Anyone done this trip? Would like to know how your trip was.

We both have ridden in north LOS before looking for a change.

Also what's the P4P like in Cambodia.

Ash

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Siem Reap not much chop for P4P,much better in PP.

Roads are even crazier in Cambo than LOS.

could be wrong, but
    I thought taking a rental bike into Cambodia difficult (but not entirely impossible) - apart from insurance being unavailable, so many go there stolen from Thailand and why would a owner let someone take it with possibly no chance of it coming back and the hirer simply flying home from PP (pay airfare with sold bike)? Can't leave passport with them as security (bad idea anyway) as need it to cross the border.

GT-Rider has info here

Cadet
    Some good points Hatari.
    Probably more hassle than it's worth, unless you are planning a large scale moto adventure.
    And if Moo Uaon thinks the roads are crazy, well, 'nuff said......

So, what about by bus??

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    could be wrong, but
    I thought taking a rental bike into Cambodia difficult (but not entirely impossible) - apart from insurance being unavailable, so many go there stolen from Thailand and why would a owner let someone take it with possibly no chance of it coming back and the hirer simply flying home from PP (pay airfare with sold bike)? Can't leave passport with them as security (bad idea anyway) as need it to cross the border.

GT-Rider has info here

^ buses are doable but very slow and uncomfortable and some of the main roads are dirt/mud depending on the season.

Hire bikes here in CM are allowed into Laos and possibly Cambo too.

I did a 5 day dirt trip around the north of Cambo with a bike hired in Siem Reap.

Last edited by Moo Uaon; 3rd February 2014 at 18:27.

Bus - I haven't traveled by bus in Cambodia ( I cycle!), was in PP the week before last and the buses I saw were a huge improvement on the old clunkers (which still operate) some similar to the Thai VIP-style with three seats across, 2 one side of aisle one the other, big recliners.

Don't know which company but it is possible to travel Bangkok to SR and/or PP with one company on a single ticket, less hassle just change bus after you've crossed the border as they drive on right-hand side of road (another reason i find biking there scary, so easy to forget on a quiet road then wonder why everyone is trying to kill me on the wrong side of the road)

There's also train from Bangkok to the Border at Aranyaprathet/Poipet, bus from there though many people choose to hire a taxi to SR.

A time saver for crossing at Poipet is getting an e-visa online - saves the queue. They only accept them for flights and at the major border points incl Poipet (but not the two nearer where I live further south of there) and cost US$28, takes 2-3 days and sent to you by email Kingdom of Cambodia - Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation you need a digital pic (details on that site) and a credit card.

If you got to PP and rented a bike there, have a beer with Jim at California2 on Sisowath Quay/waterfront he's a bike man and I'd trust him for a recommendation on where to hire one from.

Or sit in the back of one of these

or front of one of these

And a warning: I found the bars with 50c draft beer Happy Hours to be very easy to lose too much time at. Just one more!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Reaching Siem Reap from Poipet | getsetandgo

The author says ( Sept 2012 ) -

"Please note -

The road is in a good condition so the road journey is very comfortable."

Cadet
    About 6 years ago when i did the overland trip to Siem Reap the road from poi pet looked like Baghdad after a bombing raid, 150 ks of pot holes, dout they have done to much work on the road as i did a round trip coming back from the coast, about 100 ks of graded but unsealed road and several bridges in construction.

Go look at travel reports in Trip Adviser and from memory traffic is not heavy anywhere in Cambodia.

FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS