Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The possum took my baby !!!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar

The possum took my baby !!!

We head to the garden one morning and the new stawberry patch thats growing at a unbeliveable rate has suddenly taken a turn for the worse.....half of it eaten by a damn possum !!

Anyway remembering a thread a way back from Condo about possums eating everything from chillis to herbs i race inside to google "keeping possums out". I seem to remember Condo buying a electric fence of some kind ( Condo hows that going ) but anyway no time to source and purchase that. The possum could come back tonight to finish the job !!...looking at the distraught face on JK i had to act quick...Answer....the FLOPPY FENCE

Yesssss that will fix him...off to bunnings...10 metres of chicken wire...some star pickets...a few other bits and bobs....a couple of hours later and woh lah....defence sorted...the floopy fence is installed...works a treat and no more attacks from those herb, chilli, stawberry munching possums !!

Will post a pic later of my proud but rather odd looking floppy fence !!
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Next thing is a car battery, conected to a booster and cables to the chicken wire. There's your electric fence, just hope it doesn't rain 555555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Simple thing the old possum.... they are a creature of habit, so get a portable 500w light and shine it on the vegie patch for 3 nights and your problem will be solved.... they hate light and after 3 nights it will never return!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    ^Good one PBB never heard that one saw Condos gage of chili was a maximum security job nick named the rock 555

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Have tried -

Poss-Off Poss Off - Garden Express Makes you fruit and vegies taste like **** and the possums love it
    StayBan StrayBan Possum Deterrent keeps possums away day and night put the speaker 1.5 meters above a chili plant I was willing to sacrifice, and I did.
    Sureguard Possum Control. Protect Plants & Trees. The only thing that got electrocuted was me when I tested the fence after I saw a possum run through the wires. I thought it must be off or broken. It wasnt!!!! and made me scream like a bitch.

Strayban and Sureguard both refunded me after I told them what happened. I found the best thing to use is fruit netting which is available from Bunnings. Just rig up a frame and throw over the top.

We gave up in the end and decided we might as well share with them. They are now Nings little babies (about 7 of them) and she feeds them every night. We now have a rat joining the possums for dinner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh and as you can see from the photo's they dont mind bright lights

Looks like you are trying to keep them not get rid of them mate.
    They tame up quite quick..

That's amazing Condo... almost like pets. How tame are they?

I wonder if they are similar to racoons in North America. My friend has racoon visitors quite often...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Quarky; 5th April 2011 at 21:51.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    That's amazing Condo... almost like pets. How tame are they?
    You can pat a few of them the others are still a bit shy. One of them has had a walk around the house. You can see in the last photo Ning has her hand on its back. His name is called Cheeky and he aint scared of anything. He tries to keep all other possums away from us and the food 55

Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    You can pat a few of them the others are still a bit shy. One of them has had a walk around the house. You can see in the last photo Ning has her hand on its back. His name is called Cheeky and he aint scared of anything. He tries to keep all other possums away from us and the food 55
    Growing up in NZ... I was always a bit scared of possums... dad used to say... "don't go near them.... they'll rip your bloody arm off!" I needn't have worried... 555

as a side note... Ning is very photogenic isn't she. I haven't seen a bad pic of her yet.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I have never seen Possums get the close to people before. Looks likt a nice big happy Family 555

as a side note... Ning is very photogenic isn't she. I haven't seen a bad pic of her yet.
    Thats because she practices on herself. She's always taking self portraits 55555 When ever we get dressed up and go out shes snapping away with her iPhone or the camera in the passenger seat of the car takeing pictures of herself, and shes good at it. Always in focus and in centre of shot 5555

She wants a Canon EOS SLR for her birthday
    Last edited by Condo; 6th April 2011 at 06:53. Reason: Added birthday present

Ah... Thai Possum curry! jk.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Ah... Thai Possum curry! jk.
    Wont say what i used to do after school to make money...........

Thats because she practices on herself. She's always taking self portraits 55555 When ever we get dressed up and go out shes snapping away with her iPhone or the camera in the passenger seat of the car takeing pictures of herself, and shes good at it. Always in focus and in centre of shot 5555

She wants a Canon EOS SLR for her birthday
    She's got potential that girl! 555

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Wont say what i used to do after school to make money...........
    Wabbit & Wossum Stew?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I have never seen Possums get the close to people before. Looks likt a nice big happy Family 555
    Take Noy into any of the city gardens with a even a pizza and you will have 1/2doz joining you for a feed...

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Take Noy into any of the city gardens with a even a pizza and you will have 1/2doz joining you for a feed...
    I grew up with Possums all around too... but I always assumed they were like rats... and stayed away from them. But they sound more like squirrels in their behaviour... almost semi-tame?

Wabbit & Wossum Stew?
    Meat eating Wabbit just like in Donny Darko 55555.
    Gin traps and aniseed. Made nearly as much as my Dad there for awhile.5555

I grew up with Possums all around too... but I always assumed they were like rats... and stayed away from them. But they sound more like squirrels in their behaviour... almost semi-tame?
    Dont worry a big rat has joined the Possums for their nightly feed. It will even take the food out of your hand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast