Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Hiv

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar

Hiv

Am I advising wrongly that a HIV test can not be done in a day? Indicators from saliva or a pin prick does not discount a real blood culture test????
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ i had a HIV test 2 weeks ago 8 hours before surgery.
    I'd assume they wouldn't have gone ahead if i was positive,if that's what the test is for?

Have had it done back in Oz and the results took a month or so.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    It's a two part test. The simple blood test is for antibodies indication of infection.
    If it comes up positive they do a second kind of test to confirm. Second one takes longer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    CDC - Testing - HIV Basics - HIV/AIDS

The most common HIV test is the antibody screening test (immunoassay), which tests for the antibodies that your body makes against HIV. The immunoassay may be conducted in a lab or as a rapid test at the testing site. It may be performed on blood or oral fluid (not saliva).
    Because the level of antibody in oral fluid is lower than it is in blood, blood tests tend to find infection sooner after exposure than do oral fluid tests. In addition, most blood-based lab tests find infection sooner after exposure than rapid HIV tests. Newer immunoassay tests can find HIV as soon as 3 weeks after exposure to the virus. Several lab tests now in use can detect both antibodies and antigen (part of the virus itself), so find recent infection earlier than tests that detect only antibodies.
    The rapid test is an immunoassay used for screening, and it produces quick results, in 20 minutes or less. Rapid tests use blood or oral fluid to look for antibodies to HIV. If an immunoassay (lab test or rapid test) is conducted during the window period (i.e., the period after exposure but before the test can find antibodies), the test may not find antibodies and may give a false-negative result. All immunoassays that are positive need a follow-up test to confirm the result.
    Follow-up diagnostic testing is performed if the first immunoassay result is positive. Follow-up tests include; an antibody differentiation test, which distinguishes HIV-1 from HIV-2; an HIV-1 nucleic acid test, which looks for virus directly, or the Western blot or indirect immunofluorescence assay, which detect antibodies.
    Immunoassays are generally very accurate, but follow-up testing allows you and your health care provider to be sure the diagnosis is right. If your first test is a rapid test, and it is positive, you will be directed to a medical setting to get follow-up testing. If your first test is a lab test, and it is positive, the lab will conduct follow-up testing, usually on the same blood specimen as the first test.
    False-positive tests are rare. If tests are conducted during the window period, they can give a false-negative result.
    Currently there are only two home HIV tests: OraQuick In-home HIV test and the Home Access HIV-1 Test System. If you buy your home test online make sure the HIV test is FDA-approved.
    The OraQuick In-Home HIV Test provides rapid results in the home. The testing procedure involves swabbing your mouth for an oral fluid sample and using a kit to test it. Results are available in 20 minutes. If you test positive, you will need a follow-up test. The manufacturer provides confidential counseling and referral to follow-up testing sites. Because the level of antibody in oral fluid is lower than it is in blood, oral fluid tests find infection later after exposure than do blood tests. Up to 1 in 12 people may test false-negative with these tests.
    The Home HIV Access HIV-1 Test System is a home collection kit, which involves pricking your finger to collect a blood sample, sending the sample to a licensed laboratory, then calling in for results a few days later. If the test is positive, a follow-up test is performed right away. This test is anonymous. The manufacturer provides confidential counseling and referral to treatment. The tests conducted on the sample collected at home find infection later than most lab-based tests offered by providers.
    RNA tests detect the virus directly (instead of the antibodies to HIV) and thus can detect HIV at about 10 days after infection—as soon as it appears in the bloodstream, before antibodies develop. These tests cost more than antibody tests and are generally not used as a screening test, although your doctor may order one as a follow-up test, after a positive antibody test, or as part of a clinical workup.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    A PCR (polymerase chain reaction, has that cleared it up? 555) based test should be quite quick. I remember a guy working on such a test in our lab when PCR was quite new technology.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Since youre already there Rak ...555

How is the survival rate etc nowadays?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post

HIV is in general not a lethal disease anymore.
    When adequately responding to the antivirals and live a responsible lifestyle..

M26 described it on another thread as just a chronic disease..
    I would not go that far, many suffer from side effects on medication to the extend of stopping medication altogether.. But my view maybe biased, since I see the patients that have problems, not those without.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post

if you are taking the meds and doing your checkups life expectancy is near normal

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    And in case of men, testosterone injections bring back the appetite and lost weight and muscle mass.

Aside from the chronic illness, one of the worst things on the patient is still the social stigma I reckon. I could see that causing even.more suffering than the physical illness at times.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    And in case of men, testosterone injections bring back the appetite and lost weight and muscle mass.

Aside from the chronic illness, one of the worst things on the patient is still the social stigma I reckon. I could see that causing even.more suffering than the physical illness at times.
    see, i think people don't realize how many strides they've made in hiv treatment
    a normal HIV + male taking his meds and doing what he should be doing would probably not lose weight or any sort of muscle mass
    most taking the meds will reach an "undetectable viral load" fairly easy. which is basic terms means there is less HIV in your body and less stress on your immune system

you are right about the stigma but people who are not close to HIV still think it has the same effects as it did way back

when i knew someone who got HIV i thought all those old things also. now? they go to the doctor every six months, have had zero side effects to the meds and probably healthier now with HIV than they were before in terms that their health is consistently being monitored

i've been truly amazed how little of an impact having HIV has been on them

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Really surprises me the amount of uncovered activity that seems to go on outside of long term relationships in what is a very high risk environment. Not just talking HIV, but all the other nasties.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Look at Magic Johnson. He's been HIV+ for 20 years.

On Nov. 7, 1991, Los Angeles Lakers point guard Earvin "Magic" Johnson shocked the world when he announced that he had contracted HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. After the press conference, the perception was that Johnson had just pronounced his own death sentence.

Yet, 20 years later, the now-52-year-old Johnson is going as strong as ever in his roles as a sports analyst, businessman and HIV activist. In 1991, when most of what people knew about HIV/AIDS was that it lead to death at a young age, this outcome might have seemed impossible.

So why is Johnson still alive?

Magic Johnson 20 Years with HIV | How has Magic Johnson Survived 20 Years with HIV? | LiveScience
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    My understanding was though, that HIV itself was never too dangerous until it became full blown Aids. Not sure if they've made much progress with that yet in terms of treatment. A lot of people still die of it even in the West.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    rak perhaps you could explain the differance between hiv and aids for us....we still have a high infection rate here