Like Tree58Likes

Thread: the wine thread

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    this might be of some interest chobby...wine prices at makro

Search | Makro Online
    That ain't Makro Thailand 55555!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    would be great if it was baz...55555...just times by 3...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    AUSTRALIA NETWORK - see this tonite ...

Wednesday, 9 April 2014

00:20 WINERAM Australia
    The first episode Colin leaves his cellar-hand winemaking position in the Barossa Valley to hit the road and tour all the wine regions Australia has to offer. First stop is the Strathbogie Ranges with winemaker Matt Fowles of Fowles Wines! Matt is renowned for some forward thinking labels "Are you game" and "Ladies who shoot their lunch". Matt takes Colin into his home to show him his way of life that includes going rabbit hunting amongst the vineyards. Plus a lesson in the fundamentals of food and wine matching.

...Why they put these shows on at 12.20am I dunno , but the series looks good.

Same same last night , a very good look at Australian house design ...

Tuesday, 8 April 2014
    00:30 Building Australia
    Beginning with the speculative developments in Lower Fort Street in the Rocks area in Sydney and later moving to Melbourne's neatly organised squares, we trace the earliest development of the terrace from those that landed in the First Fleet and initiated the tradition of European-style building.

You can watch it here:
    s1 Ep1 - 07/04/14 - Catch Up: Building Australia

Hopefully , we will be able to google "WINERAM Catchup Australia Network" as I did above ( key word is 'catchup') if we miss it being on so late...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    ^^^
    And OZ too - there is a world-wide wine glut mainly due to massive investment in the past 15 years ( baby boomers retirement plans).

If you know your winemakers/vineyard you can get some excellent "cleanskins" (no brand label) which are the same wine as branded for 3x the price.
    Could be something to look further at, buy up a few pallets, add your own label and register it in Thailand.
    Import and distribute via your own local network.

There's no limit to the naming...555.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Could be something to look further at, buy up a few pallets, add your own label and register it in Thailand.
    Import and distribute via your own local network.

There's no limit to the naming...555.

does it get better with age 55555

And with the wine notes on the back label we could add:

Best drunk before 10 O'clock Sunday night 555!

does it get better with age 55555
    Also from our Kiwi friends and just for you Meese...555

Cat Piss - Wine Term of the Week | Uncorked Remarks

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Also from our Kiwi friends and just for you Meese...555

Cat Piss - Wine Term of the Week | Uncorked Remarks

Takes my "Up Yourself" Award for 2014 555!

do you think its an age thing Paulie...only start enjoying wine as we get older...perhaps when we young we cant afford the better stuff???
    I've never really got into wine, always been a beer drinker. Recently though its piqued my interest somewhat, but the problem is I haven't a single clue why X is better than Y, and all the different names just confuse the hell out of me.

Is there like a really easy guide somewhere that explains to a complete newbie what the different wines are, and how you would choose one when walking into a store that seems to have like 100 different wines?

Go out with wine drinking friends - taste a few different wines and get a feel for what you like - don't let some wine snob dictate what you like.
    Like an IFAWAS Tuesday night if in Patong (take notes or you'll forget 555!)

In a wine shop - tell them you know nothing and ask for advice (particularly if she is cute).

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Go out with wine drinking friends - taste a few different wines and get a feel for what you like - don't let some wine snob dictate what you like.
    Like an IFAWAS Tuesday night if in Patong (take notes or you'll forget 555!)

In a wine shop - tell them you know nothing and ask for advice (particularly if she is cute).
    Before I joined IFAWAS I had no idea about wine, Italian food, pizzas.......one drink at the sick buffalo changed my life forever...5555
    But yes, Zab is right....

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    AUSTRALIA NETWORK - see this tonite ...

Wednesday, 9 April 2014

00:20 WINERAM Australia
    The first episode Colin leaves his cellar-hand winemaking position in the Barossa Valley to hit the road and tour all the wine regions Australia has to offer. First stop is the Strathbogie Ranges with winemaker Matt Fowles of Fowles Wines! Matt is renowned for some forward thinking labels "Are you game" and "Ladies who shoot their lunch". Matt takes Colin into his home to show him his way of life that includes going rabbit hunting amongst the vineyards. Plus a lesson in the fundamentals of food and wine matching.

...Why they put these shows on at 12.20am I dunno , but the series looks good.

Same same last night , a very good look at Australian house design ...

Tuesday, 8 April 2014
    00:30 Building Australia
    Beginning with the speculative developments in Lower Fort Street in the Rocks area in Sydney and later moving to Melbourne's neatly organised squares, we trace the earliest development of the terrace from those that landed in the First Fleet and initiated the tradition of European-style building.

You can watch it here:
    s1 Ep1 - 07/04/14 - Catch Up: Building Australia

Hopefully , we will be able to google "WINERAM Catchup Australia Network" as I did above ( key word is 'catchup') if we miss it being on so late...

Cgh! on in about 70 minutes (and again 0020

18:50 Tuesday 08/04/14
    WINERAM Australia

Ask whatever pub you're in to put it on as the sun sinks ... or when you get home 555!

http://australianetwork.com/guide/schedule_thailand.htm
    Last edited by Zablive; 8th April 2014 at 22:01.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    We get Oz Network from India,Pacific and Asia....not much chance of missing anything the way they like to repeat stuff 555
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    I've never really got into wine, always been a beer drinker. Recently though its piqued my interest somewhat, but the problem is I haven't a single clue why X is better than Y, and all the different names just confuse the hell out of me.

Is there like a really easy guide somewhere that explains to a complete newbie what the different wines are, and how you would choose one when walking into a store that seems to have like 100 different wines?
    Every one has a different palate.Like others have said,drink with friends that know or go for wine tastings.Write down what you like and experiment with different types.Probably best to try wine with food...will go down easier if you new.

^ hey Sid,you must be nearly due back to LOS again soon?

Tell em about the Belgian beers 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ hey Sid,you must be nearly due back to LOS again soon?

Tell em about the Belgian beers 555
    555 that should be another thread Lew.Love those trappers beers man!!No not making it this year.Off to South America next month.Hopefully will be able to sample loads of South American wine.

^ cheers mate enjoyed your trekking pics from the Swiss Alps,somewhere i really love but from the train window these days

Sth American? i can think of another abundant commodity there,starting with W.....you lucky bastard 55

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I left about 250-300 of hand selected bottles of wine back in my NZ cellar 5 years ago when I came to live here...I was drinking it down before I came over from about 500 bottles....some of that stuff was only available on client lists and I probably could have sold selected bottles for $big .....instead I had to beg the ex to drink it and give it away to friends....I weep a tear here about it every now and again...but mai pen rai....just one of the small negatives about the move

I don't drink a lot of red wine here....it doesn't suit my palate with the heat and the type of food I eat (Thai mostly)....me and my housemate share a couple of bottles of French champagne every now and then....I really enjoy the French Roses here too which can be had from around 400 baht at Wine Connection....great dor a sundowner...a crisp NZ sauvignon blanc works well with a somtam or other light spicey Thai dishes whilst a dry German riesling (sometimes you can get a discounted "big" one with a bit of bottle age if you are lucky) is great with fish and squid dishes

I hear you Nels...wine is about the moment and you can't own it for long and that's what makes it so precious.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast