Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 271
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: the wine thread

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556

    the wine thread

    Was wondering why we did not have a thread on the wine...perhaps to many beer drinkers 5555...well for those of us that enjoy the finer things in life..555555...im pretty lucky as i live not more than 10 min away from some great wine farms...suppose i take it for granted....

    my current fav is Du Toitkloof cellar Cabernet...it really is a lovely red...have promised chob a bottle on my next trip...im sure he will give you a glass Baz 5555
    Home | Du Toitskloof Winery

    so whats you current favourite...

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,272
    I have actually really started to enjoy red wine in the last few years
    I think i didn't care for it before because in NYC they drink a lot of heavy Cabs
    I like more Pinto Noir's, Malbec's

    Cotes Du Rhone - Delas St Esprit....a broker gave me this for Xmas and I loved it

    Coppola Merlot

    Malbec Bodega

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    do you think its an age thing Paulie...only start enjoying wine as we get older...perhaps when we young we cant afford the better stuff???

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,272
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    do you think its an age thing Paulie...only start enjoying wine as we get older...perhaps when we young we cant afford the better stuff???
    It might be
    But i really enjoy a nice bottle now
    I think it is pace also. If i am drinking beer i go right through them, whereas i can enjoy a few glasses of wine in a hour or so
    I am staying by the river this weekend and they have a great outdoor space and really looking forward to just sitting out by the river and enjoying a bottle I am bringing with me

  5. #5
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,755
    You forgot to mention Cheese Meese... 555

    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  6. #6
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I have actually really started to enjoy red wine in the last few years
    I think i didn't care for it before because in NYC they drink a lot of heavy Cabs
    I like more Pinto Noir's, Malbec's

    Cotes Du Rhone - Delas St Esprit....a broker gave me this for Xmas and I loved it

    Coppola Merlot

    Malbec Bodega
    I find the Malbecs heavier than the Cabarnets.Cabernet is my choice of easy drinking wine.We dont get a lot of Malbecs here.Enjoyed excellent Malbecs(especially Mendosa ones) in Argentina with their steaks, man would love that now.
    Like Barry says,we are spoiled for choice here in SA (dont know why most people I know dont drink it) but I like to try different wines from different countries as well.

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,244
    WTSO Home3

    My cousin turned me on to this app. I get continuous notices of wine deals on my phone. Italian, Spanish, California,.etc. It's quite addicting ordering wine from your phone...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,316
    Good idea meesey!

    This drop has just arrived in Big C locally -

    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...?bmUID=kknxO9g

    At 730 baht , or ( at 29.5 bt to the $1 AUS) $24.75 Aussie dollars!
    Shees.
    But a good drop , and I havent got that long to live anyway ...555

    This ones even better , and since its 50% more in Aus , at 800 or so baht , its actually sorta better value -

    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/dm/sea...1ca95aae99d869


    I had the benefit of being friends with another wine lover , 'SweetWilliam' from the old PI , who travelled a lot , and always gave me a call when he flew in ... I'd put on some cheese and a couple of beers after , and he'd share me a lovely Washington state cutie - usually the Columbia Valley variety at the end of this page ...
    Damn it hes gone to Pats! 555

    Washington State Wine | All Wines | Chateau Ste. Michelle

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    not sure if i should bring you a bottle after the last incident chobby...was heartbreaking to see it on the floor 555555

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,316
    Actually Meese , at the rate you can acquire some very palatable SA wines for , plus your background in wholesaling 'foods' ( 555 ) I actually feel theres great potential for a market for Saffa wines here.
    If you can buy them so cheap there , surely they would sell well here at double that ...

    Some Chileans are definitely having a go.
    Theyre puting new stuff on the shelves here monthly.

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,316
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    not sure if i should bring you a bottle after the last incident chobby...was heartbreaking to see it on the floor 555555
    Dont talk about it ... Im going to bed soon and wont sleep well!

  12. #12
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Good idea meesey!

    This drop has just arrived in Big C locally -

    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...?bmUID=kknxO9g

    At 730 baht , or ( at 29.5 bt to the $1 AUS) $24.75 Aussie dollars!
    Shees.
    But a good drop , and I havent got that long to live anyway ...555

    This ones even better , and since its 50% more in Aus , at 800 or so baht , its actually sorta better value -

    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/dm/sea...1ca95aae99d869


    I had the benefit of being friends with another wine lover , 'SweetWilliam' from the old PI , who travelled a lot , and always gave me a call when he flew in ... I'd put on some cheese and a couple of beers after , and he'd share me a lovely Washington state cutie - usually the Columbia Valley variety at the end of this page ...
    Damn it hes gone to Pats! 555

    Washington State Wine | All Wines | Chateau Ste. Michelle
    Not nice to travel with wine since 911.I used to bring back a few bottles from my travels,but alas now we cannot due to the restrictions.Taking wine to friends overseas is a pain as you can basically just about take 2 bottles and have to pack it securely in your check baggage.
    Would love to know what guys use to secure wine in their check baggage??

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Actually Meese , at the rate you can acquire some very palatable SA wines for , plus your background in wholesaling 'foods' ( 555 ) I actually feel theres great potential for a market for Saffa wines here.
    If you can buy them so cheap there , surely they would sell well here at double that ...

    Some Chileans are definitely having a go.
    Theyre puting new stuff on the shelves here monthly.
    mnnn thats not the worst idea iv heard..got some mates in the wine industry...i have heard that there is a very big import tax on wine in los...im sure lots of saffas have tried...have a word with connie...she was also in the food business...her company "strange foods" is still going...jelly supplies them...

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,316
    Sid , I brought 4 bottles back from Oz last visit.
    I put one up each leg of my 2 pair of jeans , and rolled them carefully and packed some clothes between/around them.
    Thai customs have Never opened my bag in 9 years of coming or going.
    If you should , on the rare occasion , find them alert , wait till some asians are going thru , and go with them.
    They stop the Thai/Asian coming in every time.
    I guess they figure we come to Thailand to BUY stuff , not bring it in...

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    Not nice to travel with wine since 911.I used to bring back a few bottles from my travels,but alas now we cannot due to the restrictions.Taking wine to friends overseas is a pain as you can basically just about take 2 bottles and have to pack it securely in your check baggage.
    Would love to know what guys use to secure wine in their check baggage??
    Sid just pop into any pick n pay...the guys in the wine department will give you some bubble wrap as well as a little cardboard wine box...iv never had a problem yet...

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,316
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    mnnn thats not the worst idea iv heard..got some mates in the wine industry...i have heard that there is a very big import tax on wine in los...im sure lots of saffas have tried...have a word with connie...she was also in the food business...her company "strange foods" is still going...jelly supplies them...
    Connie brings it in by the case!
    She says shes an agent , and trying to set up a market in LOS.

    The obvious question is , "Do they ask you if you have a work permit to 'agent' this stuff?"
    Her reply was , "Only once , and I said that the Thai Gov. website said I have to apply 'in country' and they let me through. But I also had to 'pay' the excise once , a thousand baht did it , and no receipt was issued. 555"

    But Im talking about 'semi-retirement' Meesey!
    I'll go in with ya!

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,316
    ^ A 1000 baht on 12 bottles , is only 83 baht extra a bottle.
    Corruption is great ! 555

  18. #18
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    Sid just pop into any pick n pay...the guys in the wine department will give you some bubble wrap as well as a little cardboard wine box...iv never had a problem yet...
    Thats what i do Barry but you know the baggage handlers. I know there are winesleeves,etc but I always forget untill its a day before my trip555.

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Connie brings it in by the case!
    She says shes an agent , and trying to set up a market in LOS.

    The obvious question is , "Do they ask you if you have a work permit to 'agent' this stuff?"
    Her reply was , "Only once , and I said that the Thai Gov. website said I have to apply 'in country' and they let me through. But I also had to 'pay' the excise once , a thousand baht did it , and no receipt was issued. 555"

    But Im talking about 'semi-retirement' Meesey!
    I'll go in with ya!
    okay worth chatting about later this month if i make it over...got a lot on my plate.at the moment..but need a rest(not sure if it would be a rest thou 555)..but hopeing to book soon
    maybe i should talk to some of the forwarding(freight)guys and see what they say

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    ^ A 1000 baht on 12 bottles , is only 83 baht extra a bottle.
    Corruption is great ! 555
    actually by saffa standards that is a lot..roughly about R27....that would almost double the cost of the wine....can buy a decent wine here for around R50/60 in the bottle store

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •