Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do we still use cash for?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar

What do we still use cash for?

Today I visited an ATM machine..
    Not for any reason in particular, just because I feel sort of naked without cash in my wallet.

Was thinking when I last withdraw any cash, and looking back in my bank statements, it was on the airport before flying to LOS, December 2013!
    4 months ago..555

Only thing I still use cash for is a snack on the way, or ice-cream for the kids..
    In any shop, restaurant, petrol station, even car parking, I will use one of my cards..

Different for the Thai expats, Thailand is still a cash country?

But Europe, Australia, America...You guys still use cash?

Beer and h00kers
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Beer and h00kers
    There are some things in life that need to be untraceable 5555

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Beer and h00kers
    So no cash needed in the UK? 555

Cadet Gold
    It would be nice to live in a cashfree world, but there are a couple of problems:

1. Government.
    2. Network downtime.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    I still have money in my pocket, only use the card for purchases over $100 Aud.............One of my pet hates is you go to a lunch bar or shop and have to wait for some kid to use his card for a $5 purchase. I still remember one of my mates when we were out for the day, withdrew cash from an Atm on 3 seperate occasions in about 6 hours Wtf? I question him and he said he is trying to save money 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    i aiways carry about about R500...with me but use my card for just about everything...pay cash for small items like tea or a snack...find it much better to pay once a month

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Always need to carry some cash in Aus but normally only fir purchases under $10. .. or giving my yougest some pocket money..... Pay Pass is great fir purchases under $100. wave and go...

the thing i like most about paying with the card, no coins to loose...

thumbprint payments would be better though, i am always searching for my damn wallet..55
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    With such weak consumer protection from the banks in LOS in a case where you are the victim of card fraud, cash is definitely the way to go in LOS IMO.

I had my UK ATM card cloned but my Bank detected it and stopped the card before any damage was done but you hear stories here where people lose a lot because of the lack of sophistication in the security systems. Things like a guy got his ATM card cloned in Kamala and hours later it was used for large withdrawals in Issan, a physical impossibility but wasn't flagged by the bank.
    Always be yourself.........Unless you can be a Dragon.........Then always be a Dragon.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    I still have money in my pocket, only use the card for purchases over $100 Aud.............One of my pet hates is you go to a lunch bar or shop and have to wait for some kid to use his card for a $5 purchase. I still remember one of my mates when we were out for the day, withdrew cash from an Atm on 3 seperate occasions in about 6 hours Wtf? I question him and he said he is trying to save money 555
    I'm with you Rivo. I use cash for all my small spending but things over $100 or Bills I have to pay Ill use Card. I still like to have cash in my wallet.
    Yep The ****s who not only use credit card to buy a coffee, but then f@ck around looking for their fly buys card to get their precious points added. Dont they know Im a busy man 5555555

Yes
    One of the things I really enjoy about living in LOS is using cash,I use it for everything,(In OZ i used Bpay all the time)

I like cash,I like the feel of it,like counting it,I like that it its not traceable,my electronic money trail is mostly my customer card at lotus.

I also like that a larger portion of my money goes into small business,restaurants,shops,markets,mum and pop stores etc, ( In OZ it almost all went to Multinationals and little into the local economy)

My credit cards just sleep and sleep,just the way I like it.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    It's cash only in Thailand, but at home in Canada it's almost always VISA. I only use cash for my coffee at the hotel in the morning where I read their newspaper. If they didn't have a newspaper to read then I would stay home. I purchase everything I can on my VISA card because it shows where I've spent my money each month, and I try to write off ALL expenses if I can. I've learned that I live on about $6 a day month after month. That is over and above Taxes, insurance, transportation and personal purchases.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    the only time I use a card in LoS is to take money out of an ATM (debit card) or buy airplane tickets (credit card).....otherwise its cash only

used to sh!t me to death back in AUS/NZ when trying to get out of a car park and the 10 people in front of you are all paying by card...and often wait until they are at the exit booth before getting the bloody thing out of their purse...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Paying without cash couldn't be simpler nowadays.
    We've got "Paywave" "Pay to mobile" "PayPal" the list goes on.
    Why do people keep writing cheques...grrrr...

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

Because they believe that by the time the person goes to cash the cheque that they will have put enough money in their account to cover it. Unfortunately, what usually happens is the cheque bounces.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

i have not seen a cheque for ages..do people still use them 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    i have not seen a cheque for ages..do people still use them 5555
    For my business, I sign checks for thousands every day. I keep a multitude of bank accounts, and my 'zero account' is the only one I let clients e-deposit into. I just don't wont people having my core accounts numbers available. My 'zero account' is just that, I always know when a deposit/ withdraw is made...instantly.

So yeah, I'm a check writer.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Ah, but are you a Czech writer? 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    For my business, I sign checks for thousands every day. I keep a multitude of bank accounts, and my 'zero account' is the only one I let clients e-deposit into. I just don't wont people having my core accounts numbers available. My 'zero account' is just that, I always know when a deposit/ withdraw is made...instantly.

'Zero accounts' as you call them are a great extra security step. I do the same thing. My main account doesn't have a card linked to it at all. Only the empty one. If I need to withdraw cash or buy something online, I transfer over the exact amount on my phone and off I go. Takes me about 30 seconds. This is no hassle overseas either since wireless is virtually everywhere these days.

And transfers to other people result in an instant SMS with a 4 digit confirmation code which I need to enter in. So if anyone got a hold of my account details they'd still need my phone to do anything. Not entirely foolproof of course but every extra layer of security helps.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Over here we have a thing called "chipper" on debit cards.. Like an electronic wallet, which you can use for any small amount..
    You charge this before from your bank account, and the money will be "on the card"..
    Very quick, because you don't have to enter a pin code..

You have something like that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast