Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: For RakThai - smoking salmon

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,230

    For RakThai - smoking salmon

    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Still waiting for the pic's how Ian smokes his salmon..! 555
    Taken from my old thread on my head injury that turned into a discussion on smoking.

    Smoking Salmon is a time consuming process but the results can be amazing.

    First it is filleted and deboned.



    The filleted slabs go into a brine of coarse salt and sugar and left for 4 to 12 hours. Sometimes we use maple syrup as well. The brine really varies depending on what your preferences are, and it takes a bit of experimenting. After the brine process the fillets are dried for several hours. Then they go into the smoker for up to 12 hours or more. There are cold smokes and hot smokes and each has a different result. The cold smoke can take up to 24 hours in the smoker.
    Smokers can vary from the cheap tin thing with a little hot plate to a full size building. My friend uses an old, stainless steel locker.



    Right now he is smoking a mix of pork and moose meat.



    The hotplate smolders with hardwood chips. We use a mixture of alder and hickory, but many fruitwood trees will do. We replace the wood chips every few hours.



    The smoked pieces come out of the smoker looking like this..





    It is then bagged and shrink wrapped.



    But, cooking salmon with a smokey flavour can be as simple as grilling them over a camp fire in a wire grill.


  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10,481
    Interesting.. What type of wood or stuff for the smoke do you use?
    I have tried BBQ smoking salmon here, but it's not the "wild" Salmon, but cultivated.. Just too watery and falls apart too quickly..

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,230
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Interesting.. What type of wood or stuff for the smoke do you use?
    I have tried BBQ smoking salmon here, but it's not the "wild" Salmon, but cultivated.. Just too watery and falls apart too quickly..
    The wood you use really does affect the flavour. Some wood makes a bitter taste. As I already mentioned, we use a mixture of alder and hickory. We buy the hickory, but the alder is common wild tree here and grows quickly. It's wood is more like a soft, hardwood. It is the brine and the drying process before smoking that is important. All the big mall stores sell the wood chips in bags if you don't make your own. You can buy a small, cheap smoker for about $100 that will do one or two salmon. Little Chief or Big Chief are common brands. They just have a little tin hotplate. You can also spend several thousand dollars for a more professional smoker. Bradley smokers are a good product and are with a family's price range.

    The smokers that use hot plates and wood chips are called hot smokers and are the most common type.

    Cold smoking requires the smoke to come from an outside source. We have a little iron wood stove with piping that feeds the smoke into the box with the fish. The wood stove and the smoke house are about 4 feet apart.
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 24th April 2014 at 02:22.

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    nice to see you using wood ian...just need a proper fire now 55555...the boys in kamala will know what i mean

  5. #5
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,720
    I don't know why.... but I can't stand any type of smoked fish... but I love salmon... unsmoked... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    you should try what we call snoek here..you will know it as baraccuda..its very popular here in cape town..in fact i had some today

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10,481
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    you should try what we call snoek here..you will know it as baraccuda..its very popular here in cape town..in fact i had some today
    Funny this.. Snoek is a Dutch word. It's a sweet water fish that lives here, looks a bit like a Barracuda, but is far from that..
    Guess the old "Boers" (Dutch word for farmer) saw these fish in the sea looking like the sweet water fish from back home and naming it..555

    Dutch Snoek:

  8. #8
    Cadet silver krukke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I don't know why.... but I can't stand any type of smoked fish... but I love salmon... unsmoked... 555
    same me i like what we called in sweden "gravad lax" it is raw salmon preperd in special way. Yummy.
    Quarky likes this.

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,230
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Funny this.. Snoek is a Dutch word. It's a sweet water fish that lives here, looks a bit like a Barracuda, but is far from that..
    Guess the old "Boers" (Dutch word for farmer) saw these fish in the sea looking like the sweet water fish from back home and naming it..555

    Dutch Snoek:
    That is the fish we call Northern Pike in Canada. I've caught lots of them in northern B.C. Taken from cold water it is a superb eating fish. I once filleted 3, six pound pike, and my two buddies and I ate all three at one sitting. I fried them in butter and pancake flour.






  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Funny this.. Snoek is a Dutch word. It's a sweet water fish that lives here, looks a bit like a Barracuda, but is far from that..
    Guess the old "Boers" (Dutch word for farmer) saw these fish in the sea looking like the sweet water fish from back home and naming it..555

    Dutch Snoek:
    k....its actually baraccuda...the locals just call it snoek....was always regarded as a poor mans fish here in the cape and i suppose still is(very boney)...i only eat it smoked..much better tasting fish around thou...perhaps when the dutch first saw it ..it reminded them..hense the name....dutch were not big on fishing...so what does snoek mean rak???

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10,481
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    k....its actually baraccuda...the locals just call it snoek....was always regarded as a poor mans fish here in the cape and i suppose still is(very boney)...i only eat it smoked..much better tasting fish around thou...perhaps when the dutch first saw it ..it reminded them..hense the name....dutch were not big on fishing...so what does snoek mean rak???
    Officially it's only the name of the fish...
    Unofficially the word "snoek" is also used as a word for nose-pickings, especially when they start tough end crusty, and then have a long slimy tail... (sorry for everyone having breakfast, lunch or dinner while reading this 555).
    Maybe derived from the sensation of pike fishing?

    This this meaning survive it's way into Afrikaner?

  12. #12
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,204
    Snoek is great on the braai... Snoek roe even better.

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Officially it's only the name of the fish...
    Unofficially the word "snoek" is also used as a word for nose-pickings, especially when they start tough end crusty, and then have a long slimy tail... (sorry for everyone having breakfast, lunch or dinner while reading this 555).
    Maybe derived from the sensation of pike fishing?

    This this meaning survive it's way into Afrikaner?
    555 nose picking ..that funny....i must ask jelly how he interprets the word....the thread way of track again 55555

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,230
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    k....its actually baraccuda...the locals just call it snoek....was always regarded as a poor mans fish here in the cape and i suppose still is(very boney)...i only eat it smoked..much better tasting fish around thou...perhaps when the dutch first saw it ..it reminded them..hense the name....dutch were not big on fishing...so what does snoek mean rak???
    Sorry meese, you are wrong. That is NOT a barrcuda; it is a pike. Barracuda are a salt water species from southern waters. Pike are a fresh water species. I've caught lots of both. However, both have a mouth full of sharp teeth and are real predators on other species.

    This is a barracuda...


  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    not talking about canada ian..talking about cape town

  16. #16
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bang Tao Phuket
    Posts
    1,350
    Barracuda - Good eating.

    Pike - Cat food.
    Always be yourself.........Unless you can be a Dragon.........Then always be a Dragon.

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,230
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    not talking about canada ian..talking about cape town
    Oh, I was just referring to the photo of a pike in Rak's message. Yes, no pike anywhere close to Cape Town, but lots of barracuda. I disagree with Soupdragon. All the barracuda I've tried to eat were too bony. Even the locals wouldn't eat them. Pike are great eating when they come from cold, northern waters, but not so good in the summer from southern waters. The flesh of most fish is reflected in what they've been eating. I've never had a bad salmon because they are only killed when fresh from the ocean where they've been eating baitfish or euphasids (shrimp). Most of the people I know do not like mackeral because the flesh is too strong flavour. They are a nuisance on our west coast because they eat all the baby salmon. Just about all the tuna species are good, and their flesh is a lot like beef. Our trout from rivers are all good, but some trout from our lakes are very poor eating because they've been feeding on scuds that were eating a specific algae that gives the flesh a muddy taste.

  18. #18
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UdonThani
    Posts
    1,201
    I am another one that can't stand smoked salmon, funnily enough I don't like salmon period!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bang Tao Phuket
    Posts
    1,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Oh, I was just referring to the photo of a pike in Rak's message. Yes, no pike anywhere close to Cape Town, but lots of barracuda. I disagree with Soupdragon. All the barracuda I've tried to eat were too bony. Even the locals wouldn't eat them. Pike are great eating when they come from cold, northern waters, but not so good in the summer from southern waters. The flesh of most fish is reflected in what they've been eating. I've never had a bad salmon because they are only killed when fresh from the ocean where they've been eating baitfish or euphasids (shrimp). Most of the people I know do not like mackeral because the flesh is too strong flavour. They are a nuisance on our west coast because they eat all the baby salmon. Just about all the tuna species are good, and their flesh is a lot like beef. Our trout from rivers are all good, but some trout from our lakes are very poor eating because they've been feeding on scuds that were eating a specific algae that gives the flesh a muddy taste.
    I guess it's all in the cooking. Bake a Barracuda (preferably tandoori) then flake the meat to get the bones out and it's beautiful. The only Pike I caught were in rivers in Northern England and the flavour just wasn't right, hence I call them cat food as the cats got them.
    Always be yourself.........Unless you can be a Dragon.........Then always be a Dragon.

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    Disagree about mackerel - providing we are talking about Spanish or narrow bar Mackerel (the big buggers).
    Most people cut them into cutlets - bone and blood in.
    If you fillet them freshly caught they are an excellent white fleshed table fish.
    And if they are eating baby salmon in your area they should taste great.

    Spanish Mackerel.jpg
    Last edited by Zablive; 25th April 2014 at 01:45.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •