Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 215
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: South Africa, what do you know about it?

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,812

    South Africa, what do you know about it?

    OK.
    I had a couple of chat's with Pete and I said I valued opinions from people living in other countries, like him.

    But then i thought, well what do I know? what forms my opinion of SA for example.

    Well currently, I have SA neighbors, 2 lots. But prior to them, my first experience was in building houses for clients that were white SA's. A mostly good experience.
    I also had lot's of black SA's and it wasn't good. In fact my bosses then, told me not to take another job with them.

    So go forward, and the people I work for have their sister living in SA and is married to a doctor there. They have a good business and a big house overlooking the beach, servants etc and i saw photo's.

    The thing was they wanted out of the country, but couldn't take money out.

    So, they, my boss's, were deep in the Union football community and any team that left to go to SA was met at the airport, they were offered exchange rates high, for their cash, so the money staid here and they were met at the airport and given Safa money, much more than the exchange rate, from the sister.

    So eventually they had enough...1/2 mill to come back here to in an account.

    Then, many years later, I am working for another real estate business on the GC and the boss plus wife, goes on an international conference to SA.

    The stories he came back with were chilling.

    The Host, an estate agent there, told them about how the black men had believed the way to get rid of their AIDS was to rape a white woman, and it was happening everyday.
    His own wife, despite razor wire and CC TV and armed guard, had been raped 4 times, in their home, by mobs.

    The tour was taken past ghetto's and he had photo's of them. The beggars etc.

    They went on a bus tour of an animal safari, but were held up before getting there, they were robbed of all wallets, phones, jewelry etc. by guys caring AK47's

    So, to the BM's that live there now, is any of this true now, and what is life there like? how would a BM traveling there on holidays go??
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    913
    5555
    JC dont believe everything you read and hear.If it was so bad I dont think any of the Saffas on the forum would ever want to live here.Yes we have crime,probably a lot more than in Aus or any developed country,but you get that where you have lots of poor people.Lets just say we have a long way to go but we are getting there.Read up on the history of SA then you'll get an idea of the enormity of the socioeconomic problems we have.
    Coming here on holidays would be same for going any where else...keep you wits and dont do anything you wouldnt do at home or anywhere else.We get millions of tourists every year and have staged the football wc,2 rugby wc's and a cricket wc.I think you need to come see for yourself mate5555.
    PeteGill likes this.

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,653
    A guy from work got flown to SA a few days ago by 60 Minutes for an interview about his mother who was murdered there on a holiday. Which is not to say is a common occurrence.

    He said he relatively enjoy it as it was a holiday on the cheap. One thing he mentioned though was that he quickly learned not to ask anyone for help as most of them seemed to expect a tip just for giving you directions.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,812
    Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    5555
    JC dont believe everything you read and hear.If it was so bad I dont think any of the Saffas on the forum would ever want to live here.Yes we have crime,probably a lot more than in Aus or any developed country,but you get that where you have lots of poor people.Lets just say we have a long way to go but we are getting there.Read up on the history of SA then you'll get an idea of the enormity of the socioeconomic problems we have.
    Coming here on holidays would be same for going any where else...keep you wits and dont do anything you wouldnt do at home or anywhere else.We get millions of tourists every year and have staged the football wc,2 rugby wc's and a cricket wc.I think you need to come see for yourself mate5555.
    Yes Sid, that was why I decided to put up the thread.
    My understanding of SA has obviously been limited and tainted by what I have heard.

    I know you guys have a lot of tourist's and like any country there are good and bad locations.

    The things I talked about above have been told or shown to me, over a period of 30yrs and really are just small insights if you could call them that.

    Please don't think I was dishing on SA not the intent at all.

    I guess it's a bit like LOS, people hear about the P4P and then anyone that travels there in their mind, is going there for it.
    sidvicious likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Not there !
    Posts
    7,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    A guy from work got flown to SA a few days ago by 60 Minutes for an interview about his mother who was murdered there on a holiday. Which is not to say is a common occurrence.

    He said he relatively enjoy it as it was a holiday on the cheap. One thing he mentioned though was that he quickly learned not to ask anyone for help as most of them seemed to expect a tip just for giving you directions.
    WTF - His mother was murdered and he enjoyed it because it was a holiday on the cheap ! That's way out there !!
    bacwaan likes this.

  6. #6
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,977
    ^ yep...same overriding thought occurred to me too Obes

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,653
    The incident occurred last year. He's had time to grieve. He's 50 years old so his mum would have been fairly old.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  8. #8
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,198
    What do I think.. I hold a British passport, but i choose to live here. can't be all bad...


    PS We export our worst people, mainly to Oz and England. 555555

    PPS I Have been here 33 years, never been raped, robbed or murdered. Not even had my house broken in to..
    Been pick pocketed once and my cell phone stolen, that was traumatic.
    Last edited by PeteGill; 6th May 2014 at 14:22.
    sidvicious likes this.

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    The incident occurred last year. He's had time to grieve. He's 50 years old so his mum would have been fairly old.
    Fcuking weird ****
    A year to get over his mom's murder and be happy with a free holiday
    Just fcuking bizarre

    My brother died over 10 years....i will never get over it until the day i die
    Hell, my mom died 10 years ago not as traumatic and i still have a good cry once in awhile

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,617
    I am fascinated with the whole African continent and it will be my dream holiday that id want at least a month to do
    Maybe for my 50th bday....fcuk that Sounds weird saying that

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,812
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post


    PS We export our worst people, mainly to Oz and England. 555555

    .
    Oh sh1t!! does that mean your moving into the vacant unit above me??? I'm going to be surrounded....Help!!!
    55555555
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    all i can say about this thread is 555555555555...dont think i can add much to what Sid had to say..except to say that i personally live a great life here...maybe biased becouse i live in one of the best city's in the world....btw not many saffas here to really comment

  13. #13
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,198
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Oh sh1t!! does that mean your moving into the vacant unit above me??? I'm going to be surrounded....Help!!!
    55555555
    No, but I am sending my brother 5555555

    Sadly many who leave then spend a lot of their time trying to justify to themselves and to others why they left. So they dredge up any bad news that they can and ignore anything positive. Then they spread it around for all to see and hear.

    You will find that with all types, how many have heard the disgruntled Aussie in LOS… ‘Australia is fooked mate’?
    Now if Australia is fooked, why are the disgruntled SAFFA’s all moving to Perth? It can’t just be because bacon lives there 5555

    Now I am not saying that all is good in SA and you are perfectly safe to wander the streets willy nilly. But it still offers a great lifestyle if you take a little care and avoid unsafe areas. A little common sense just as you need in any country.
    Plus to me the only way things can improve is by sticking around and working at making life better for all.

    So next time you meet an ex SAFFA winging about how bad things are home, take at least half of what they say with a pinch of salt. And ignore the rest.
    sidvicious and obes like this.

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

    He said he relatively enjoy it as it was a holiday on the cheap. One thing he mentioned though was that he quickly learned not to ask anyone for help as most of them seemed to expect a tip just for giving you directions.
    is this guy for real Bacon???...most saffa's will go out of there way to help
    he is right about it being cheap...a beer will cost you 2aussie$..

  15. #15
    Cadet silver Bar Four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    125
    I have lived in Joburg, SA and Kinshasa, DR Congo. Congo was safer but a country mile.

    Cheers,

    Mark
    Bar4 - Sukhumvit Soi 4, Nana

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,110
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    No, but I am sending my brother 5555555

    Sadly many who leave then spend a lot of their time trying to justify to themselves and to others why they left. So they dredge up any bad news that they can and ignore anything positive. Then they spread it around for all to see and hear.

    You will find that with all types, how many have heard the disgruntled Aussie in LOS… ‘Australia is fooked mate’?
    Now if Australia is fooked, why are the disgruntled SAFFA’s all moving to Perth? It can’t just be because bacon lives there 5555

    Now I am not saying that all is good in SA and you are perfectly safe to wander the streets willy nilly. But it still offers a great lifestyle if you take a little care and avoid unsafe areas. A little common sense just as you need in any country.
    Plus to me the only way things can improve is by sticking around and working at making life better for all.

    So next time you meet an ex SAFFA winging about how bad things are home, take at least half of what they say with a pinch of salt. And ignore the rest.
    His own wife, despite razor wire and CC TV and armed guard, had been raped 4 times, in their home, by mobs.
    So she was only raped 2 times in her home by mobs. That better...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  17. #17
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,198
    ^^^ I did say ignore the rest.. So that would be zero times 55555
    BTW no crime in Frithco?

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    "His own wife, despite razor wire and CC TV and armed guard, had been raped 4 times, in their home, by mobs."
    Dupes are you really serious....by mobs 5555555

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,110
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    "His own wife, despite razor wire and CC TV and armed guard, had been raped 4 times, in their home, by mobs."
    Dupes are you really serious....by mobs 5555555
    It's in the OP Bro...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    It's in the OP Bro...
    i know..but why repeat such rubbish...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •