Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: One Moment In Your Travels

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

One Moment In Your Travels

This could be a fun thread for people to post one moment in all their travels that has stuck in their brain.Even one that seems so small.

I remember my 1st night in Thailand, in Bangkok....which also was my 1st night in Asia.
    I stayed at the Westin on Suk 19 and got in at about 9pm so the dark chaotic streets on the drive in was a bit of a sensory overload.

I took a shower and just wansn't ready to go out into it yet.
    Settled at the hotel bar, which was pretty elegant, a black American singer was singing great soulful covers.
    The dim lighting outside seemed so foreign. The lighting at night in Thailand always seems so dim to me.

Anyways, it wasnt anything momental.....just something, a scene that sticks with me. Just getting my bearings before tackling this new adventures.

I love hotel lobby bars in high end hotels in Asia. Usually they are such a contrast to what is right outside the hotel doors and there always seems to be such an ecletic mix of people in them that gets you wondering their story.
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    I had flown from the East coast of Aus and was in LA waiting to head to Pittsburgh, after being on planes for a very long time.
    I'm basically sitting on the floor feeling exhausted, while they cleaned and prepped the plane fopr our flight.

The next thing I know, Paul Hogan rocks up to the counter and asks the girl if she knows who he is. Why I certainly do Mr. Hogan !
    You wouldn't mind if I boarded early would you - surely wouldn't Mr. Hogan.

I so much felt like telling him to get to the back of the line, with the rest of us peasants !

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I was on my last night of a 4 week work trip throught china, thailand and the phillipines. It was a long trip and all I wanted to do was get home.

I was in Bangkok at he town lodge soi 18. My flight back to Perth was a early morning flight so I booked a wake up call for 4.30am. I thought I would go down to the little bar in the hotel called Toxic bar to have just one drink and a game of pool.

I was about to leave get a early night and a Japanese guy walked in to the bar and asked if I wanted to play one game and he brought me a beer.

Long story short and a wild night I walked into the hotel and the receptionist said Ash we just called you for wake up call.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I hadn't been overseas for 17 years and went to Ukraine. First time in Eastern Europe.

Very very different trip for me as i spent the whole time with a lovely 23yr old Ukrainian girl. Did all the local sights and restaurants a trip to Egypt to see the pyramids and Luxor and the Nile....fabulous time.

The moment that stuck out was when returning and we had flown over the NW coastline and over my own country again on Qantas with a VB stubby in hand.

Nothing like being home again as i was so far away and there were some pretty hairy moments especially in Cairo to get through.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Platinum
    Sitting having dinner in the delightfully old Galle Face Hotel in Colombo, Sri Lanka at the height of the troubles.

Discussing the situation we had seen over the past week with a nearby hotel blown up, numerous road stops by the army, 50cal machine guns on the roofs of the buildings overlooking us as we walked the streets, me having guns pointed at me from a tank as I went to take a photo, soldiers everywhere and fully armed, general signs of problems.

TL says to me "But it's not as though it's a real war is it?"

At that there was a noise by the entrance and a squad of soldiers came running through the dining room, pistol drawn, semi auto rifles at the ready, and out into the centre court and disappeared. They seriously meant business.

"They certainly think it is darling" I said as she sat there with a shocked look on her face.
    Last edited by TLandHim; 18th May 2014 at 14:04.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Sitting having dinner in the delightfully old Galle Face Hotel in Colombo, Sri Lanka at the height of the troubles.

Discussing the situation we had seen over the past week with a nearby hotel blown up, numerous road stops by the army, 50cal machine guns on the roofs of the buildings overlooking us as we walked the streets, me having guns pointed at me from a tank as I went to take a photo, soldiers everywhere and fully armed, general signs of problems.

TL says to me "But it's not as though it's a real war is it?"

At that there was a noise by the entrance and a squad of soldiers came running through the dining room, pistol drawn, semi auto rifles at the ready, and out into the centre court and disappeared. They seriously meant business.

"They certainly think it is darling" I said as she sat there with a shocked look on her face.
    Remind me of my literally 1st trip overseas to Italy
    My friend Rocco was born in Boston but both parents real old school Italians, almost like they never left Italy.
    So they still had a lot of family in their village

Rocco was a major bull****ter so you took everything he said with a grain if salt....half of what he said was true
    So we were staying at his uncles house who he bragged was a big mafia guy.

Well 1st night we get there we spent about 9 hours eating and getting drunk as hell at the kitchen table.

All of a sudden huge loud knocking on the door and it was the Nationales Police, his Uncle had to sign his house arrest papers and they were all holding machine guns
    TLandHim likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    In the early 80's, I was on one of the nudist beaches on Mykanos. I was lying under one of the small shade huts when a French couple walked past, said hello and laid down some towels a couple of meters from where I lay. They took their kit off and then she started to pose, arms out back arched and all the rest. I was quickly on to my stomach digging holes in the sand. The guy got a huge erection, he casually stood up and took a very slow stroll in to the sea. Whilst all on the beach could look at his very stiff willy....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    In the early 80's, I was on one of the nudist beaches on Mykanos. I was lying under one of the small shade huts when a French couple walked past, said hello and laid down some towels a couple of meters from where I lay. They took their kit off and then she started to pose, arms out back arched and all the rest. I was quickly on to my stomach digging holes in the sand. The guy got a huge erection, he casually stood up and took a very slow stroll in to the sea. Whilst all on the beach could look at his very stiff willy....
    Something you need to tell us? 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post

^ Mykonos eh.

I stayed at a camp ground behind a nude beach there.
    Two young good looking blonde barmaids from a pub my mate drinks at in northern NSW were there and starkers.
    I managed to avoid them/lay low for a couple of days and then they spotted me and were careful to put their bikini bottoms on when they saw me at the beach after that........but not before one of them got badly sunburnt tits 555
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    walking along a dusty back street in Calcutta being followed by a kid of about 8.....asking you want hashish, heroin, cocaine etc etc.....a young girl of similar age is walking just ahead with a small dog...all of a sudden the dog starts dry humping the girls leg and she is yelling at it then pushing then hitting it....the boy looks at me with an evil smile on his face and says..."I think he wants to be inside"....creepy little f#ker

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    walking along a dusty back street in Calcutta being followed by a kid of about 8.....asking you want hashish, heroin, cocaine etc etc.....a young girl of similar age is walking just ahead with a small dog...all of a sudden the dog starts dry humping the girls leg and she is yelling at it then pushing then hitting it....the boy looks at me with an evil smile on his face and says..."I think he wants to be inside"....creepy little f#ker
    Reminds me of that young kid in City Of God, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/ he was a scary little f#ker too.

Good topic M26

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Two trips ago in CM , the mass lantern release at Mae Jo , I got goosebumps when it started , fast forward to 2'40"

It would have to be a little French village on the German border... I entered the bar and there she was... the reason I was born...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Closely followed by...

Los Angeles 1990... we wandered out of our hotel and just walked around a bit... until we found a bar. It looked rough... but we were thirsty... 555.

Fast forward 2 hours and we were being ushered thru the kitchen to safety after my mate decided to ask a group of dodgy looking gang members drinking at the bar... "Who the fuck are the Crips? A bunch of faggots?" ...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    In 1982 I flew to Madrid to meet an old friend since high school. He was dating a Spaniard. Me and him and his buddy from California rented a car and we planned to drive to Paris. Right after we crossed the border to France the windshield shattered to nothing. We survived it and decided to keep on going. We were driving through little French villages honking the horn showing our baguettes and cheeses through the missing windshield yelling Bonjour to all the villagers. When night fell it got cold so we wrapped our faces with our shirts and put on sunglasses. We looked like Al Qaeda...55
    Quarky likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    It would have to be a little French village on the German border... I entered the bar and there she was... the reason I was born...
    So when you stopped living again? 555

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    So when you stopped living again? 555
    A few hours later... 555

Another WTF moment was being held up at gun point in Kosovo. But only because they thought we were German. Having machine guns aimed at you does make you stumble with your passport somewhat... though I felt sorry for the next German that came along...

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    In 1982 I flew to Madrid to meet an old friend since high school. He was dating a Spaniard. Me and him and his buddy from California rented a car and we planned to drive to Paris. Right after we crossed the border to France the windshield shattered to nothing. We survived it and decided to keep on going. We were driving through little French villages honking the horn showing our baguettes and cheeses through the missing windshield yelling Bonjour to all the villagers. When night fell it got cold so we wrapped our faces with our shirts and put on sunglasses. We looked like Al Qaeda...55
    I knew you started it all... so which one of you accidentally blew up the windscreen? ..55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    A few hours later... 555

Another WTF moment was being held up at gun point in Kosovo. But only because they thought we were German. Having machine guns aimed at you does make you stumble with your passport somewhat... though I felt sorry for the next German that came along...
    So many moments of excitement like that when travelling... Often the bad moments which we remember best, and strangely get a positive vibe..55

Tried hitchhiking from Istanbul to Prague.. many stories in three days..
    Early evening we got a ride to the Greek-Yugoslavian border, but the guy did not want to take us across the border for good reason..
    So we had to cross 2 km of no-man's land on foot.. in the rain...
    And on both sides there were guard dogs behind the fence barking murderous... following us every step...

Man, were we scared, even with the big fence in between..!
    We started singing Beatles songs just for stress relief..
    2 hours later, we had put up our tent in the park, had some alcohol in us and were invited to a local wedding... 555

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    So many moments of excitement like that when travelling... Often the bad moments which we remember best, and strangely get a positive vibe..55

Tried hitchhiking from Istanbul to Prague.. many stories in three days..
    Early evening we got a ride to the Greek-Yugoslavian border, but the guy did not want to take us across the border for good reason..
    So we had to cross 2 km of no-man's land on foot.. in the rain...
    And on both sides there were guard dogs behind the fence barking murderous... following us every step...

Man, were we scared, even with the big fence in between..!
    We started singing Beatles songs just for stress relief..
    2 hours later, we had put up our tent in the park, had some alcohol in us and were invited to a local wedding... 555
    When was this? Because I remember crossing from Greece to Yugoslavia (Macedonia now) in 1990.. and the border police were chasing this guy across a field... and they finally caught him... and then beat the crap out of him... and I'm sure I could hear in the distance... "Do you want to know a secret?" and then... "Help" and finally... "We Can Work It Out"...555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast