Thread: Indonesian Volcano shuts Darwin Airport

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

Indonesian Volcano shuts Darwin Airport

Darwin Airport shut as volcanic ash looms

By Jamie Duncan
    AAP
    May 31, 2014 10:05AM

Mount Sangeang Api spews volcanic materials

A massive ash cloud from an Indonesian volcano may disrupt aviation in parts of Australia. Source: AAP

QANTAS and Virgin Australia have confirmed all their flights to and from Darwin have been cancelled as a massive volcanic ash cloud sweeps from Indonesia towards the Australian mainland.

Flights around Australia may be disrupted by the cloud, which began spreading when Sangeang Api, a volcano off the northeast coast of the Indonesian island of Sumbawa, erupted on Friday evening.

Virgin Australia spokeswoman Jacqui Abbott said all Virgin flights to Darwin on Saturday have been cancelled.

"Because of the impact of the volcano we have cancelled all flights today on our schedule to and from Darwin," she said.

"Our meteorologists are monitoring the situation and are consulting with the (volcanic ash) advisory centre in Darwin and we will renew normal operations as the situation allows."

Qantas Group spokeswoman Kira Reed said cancellations also affect all Qantas flights to and from Darwin on Saturday and Jetstar's Cairns-Darwin and Darwin-Cairns flights, its Darwin-Adelaide service and its Darwin-Bali, Bali-Darwin, Singapore-Darwin and Darwin-Singapore flights.

The Darwin International Airport website indicates all Saturday flights to and from Darwin have been cancelled

Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre manager at the Bureau of Meteorology in Darwin, Emile Jansons, said the ash cloud is already affecting Australian air space.

"It has currently reached the Australian coast. It has reached the Kimberley coast (in Western Australia)," he told AAP.

"It is spreading east and it may dissipate, so it is not clear how far east it will get.

"It is not yet clear if it will affect the eastern seaboard."

Mr Jansons said volcanic ash can be hazardous to aircraft but the decision whether or not to fly is a safety and economic decision that rests with individual airlines.
    Last edited by wabbits; 31st May 2014 at 12:08.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

I know...it's a new way for the illegal immigrants to get here.

The boats have been turned back and stopped, so I bet there are bloody illigals up there in the ash cloud in balloons or parachutes, we can't see em and they won't show on radar......bloody sneaky!!!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    I know...it's a new way for the illegal immigrants to get here.

The boats have been turned back and stopped, so I bet there are bloody illigals up there in the ash cloud in balloons or parachutes, we can't see em and they won't show on radar......bloody sneaky!!!
    JC, out of interest, can you quote me the law, "illegals" are breaking? Good luck finding it.... The term "illegals", is Australian Right Wing propaganda at it's worst. It's just dog whistling...
    Last edited by dave01; 31st May 2014 at 11:31.
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    JC, out of interest, can you quote me the law, "illegals" are breaking? Good luck finding it.... The term "illegals", is Australian Right Wing propaganda at it's worst. It's just dog whistling...
    Australians do not like que jumping. It is properganger in the way that many more arrive by plane and overstay or then try the claim refugee status.

That said the hoops you have to jump through to get your Thai wife into the country "Legally" is many.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

OH FFS!! Dave.
    It was said as a joke, but if you want to politicalize it, I won't go looking thru all the loads of law docs, don't have the download but I'm sure common sense says anyone arriving, or attempting to arrive into a country without necessary approval documentation is an act of illegality.
    They are Que jumpers and nothing more, they pay to try to circumvent the waiting list of other refugee applicants, also effects our normal immigration numbers, which is partly due to English migrants having to wait up to 6 yrs to get a permanent residents visa before coming.

All these riot's in detention camps are nothing more than dummy spits because things didn't go the way they planed, were told by the boat organizers.
    Simple answer, if you don't like having a bed, a roof over your head, 3 meals a day and not being bashed or raped, then simple, tell us your home country and we will fly you there, good by!!
    14 of the first lot that were taken to Naroo did just that, after the first 2 weeks and they realized they were never going to be resettled in Aust.

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Australians do not like que jumping. It is properganger in the way that many more arrive by plane and overstay or then try the claim refugee status.

That said the hoops you have to jump through to get your Thai wife into the country "Legally" is many.
    Sure..... That is very true.

Villawood is full of visa over stayers who arrived by plane. Some claim asylum, others just over stay.

I don't intend doing the Thai wife fulltime in Oz, I would rather live there... But I have bought her here on TV's before, and it was a pretty simple process, even tho the form is a bit over the top. Especially when you compare it to Visa Applications I have made. to various countries, that are flat out being 1 page.. Not to mention, the visa exemptions, we as Aussies enjoy in various countries. I do know Thais have visa exemption in certain countries as well.... Funnily enough, none of them western...
    Last edited by dave01; 31st May 2014 at 12:54.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    OH FFS!! Dave.
    It was said as a joke, but if you want to politicalize it, I won't go looking thru all the loads of law docs, don't have the download but I'm sure common sense says anyone arriving, or attempting to arrive into a country without necessary approval documentation is an act of illegality.
    They are Que jumpers and nothing more, they pay to try to circumvent the waiting list of other refugee applicants, also effects our normal immigration numbers, which is partly due to English migrants having to wait up to 6 yrs to get a permanent residents visa before coming.

All these riot's in detention camps are nothing more than dummy spits because things didn't go the way they planed, were told by the boat organizers.
    Simple answer, if you don't like having a bed, a roof over your head, 3 meals a day and not being bashed or raped, then simple, tell us your home country and we will fly you there, good by!!
    14 of the first lot that were taken to Naroo did just that, after the first 2 weeks and they realized they were never going to be resettled in Aust.
    JC, U used the word "illegals", not me... All I did was ask you to back it up with a law... I knew you couldn't because they are breaking no law. ...You know that!!! But choose to use an incorrect term when referring to them... which is wrong... Just pointing that out...

That term was coined by liberals as a dog whistle.... seems you heard it loud and clear....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    My 3 satang....and I am not a bush lawyer, but Border jumping is illegal, so if the colloquialism ends up as "illegals", seems appropriate to me. Where is the dog in all this?

Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    My 3 satang....and I am not a bush lawyer, but Border jumping is illegal, so if the colloquialism ends up as "illegals", seems appropriate to me. Where is the dog in all this?
    I am sure you know this, but, IF the asylum seekers, were indeed law breakers, (which they ain't... no one can show me the law they are breaking, because there isn't one) wouldn't it be fair to reason, that with the attitude the current Oz Govt has towards them, that they would be marched before a court pretty quick smart, to answer charges?

That doesn't happen, because they are breaking no laws, by simply arriving and claiming asylum. Australia is a signatory to the 1951 Refugee Convention Here: UNHCR - The 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol

Being a signatory means having responsibilities, which the current govt are shirking, in my view. Other have a different view.. Obviously, the mob in power now do not share my view..

As for dog whistling, I am sure you know what I means, but others may not so here is a link with a brief explanation : dog-whistle politics | Taegan Goddard's Political Dictionary

The current Govt are masters of Dog Whistling....

JC, U used the word "illegals", not me... All I did was ask you to back it up with a law... I knew you couldn't because they are breaking no law. ...You know that!!! But choose to use an incorrect term when referring to them... which is wrong... Just pointing that out...

That term was coined by liberals as a dog whistle.... seems you heard it loud and clear....
    YES I did use the word "Illegals" as that is the common term. As for it being a Liberal whistle, do I need to go find quotes from labor members where it has been commonly used as well??

As for breaking no law??? Yes they are, they are invading our sovereign waters. They are disembarking from a country they are not in exile from, so can not claim, as they do, political exile. They have already entered and been accepted by a country that is not persecuting them.

This is part of the argument between Indo and Aust. gov's. Indo is saying they are not accepting them, even though they allow them into their country. They claim it's not their problem...because the person is wanting to go to Aust. Well once they are on your soil it is your problem.

We are complying with our refugee intake from many countries, through correct assessment and qualification. People that make it to countries, including Indo, and do the right application and wait to be accepted.

Yes I believe our process needs to be increased and time of approval shorter, but I will never accept Que jumpers, that have the money to pay $20-40k per person to smugglers, to get in front of the rightful ones.

Just another point, these that pay smugglers instead of paying an immigration lawyer for example,t to plead their case from Indo, must be scared of what may be found out about them, and their history. Do you want these sorts in the country??

Our system is not infallible, do you remember we had let in, legally a Nazi war criminal? didn't know who he really was as he had changed name, passport etc, he was living in Melb for 30 yrs before we sent him to the Haig trials.

Yes sourced quotes from the other side would suffice. You may find some (doubtful) from the looney right of the party.... but I will wait ... I can't find any. Again, get it clear, I am neither Lib or ALP.... just for the record... I railed against Gillard, when she joined the race to the bottom with Abbott on Asylum seekers, it was disgusting, and that is why, she lost my vote.

Wrong ..... about the nonsense of invading ... really? Invading in fishing boats? Kinda pales when you consider our incursions into Indo waters with naval vessels on numerous occasions, doesn't it? That is just my opinion btw.

Can you source your claim of 20K - 40K for a boat ride? Other than from Scott Morrison?

Again, the asylum seekers are breaking no law, the people smuggling them certainly are, the asylum seekers... NOPE.

All I asked originally, was for YOU to point out what law the Asylum Seekers were breaking.. You bought them into a discussion about Darwin Airport FFS.... NOT ME... It may be a joke, but these are people, like you and me, after all............. all I am asking you to do is back it up... Not offer another opinion, without supporting evidence... I know it's a big ask, because there is no law they (the asylum seekers) are breaking.

Nazis of 30 years ago? nah I have no knowledge of that...

I am sure you know this, but, IF the asylum seekers, were indeed law breakers, (which they ain't... no one can show me the law they are breaking, because there isn't one) wouldn't it be fair to reason, that with the attitude the current Oz Govt has towards them, that they would be marched before a court pretty quick smart, to answer charges?

Well there is a very good econimic reason for theis, and you know it, if you don't you should.
    They dispose of all documents, and refuse to disclose where they are from, so if we put them before a court and they are convicted, they would be, then they would just go into the penal system and clog up our already over loaded jails.
    Instead they are put into a detention centre, somewhere to hold law breakers till they are sorted as to who are genuine refugees and who are not.
    Now according to you, if they are not law breakers then the whole of the world would be up in arms about them being held in detention.Also any that were would have rights to sue the Gov for "Illigal detention" was tried once, in the early days by the dooo gooders, and got squashed by the world court.

That doesn't happen, because they are breaking no laws, by simply arriving and claiming asylum. Australia is a signatory to the 1951 Refugee Convention Here: UNHCR - The 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol

Being a signatory means having responsibilities, which the current govt are shirking, in my view. Other have a different view.. Obviously, the mob in power now do not share my view..
    You don't think we have carried our weight in refugee's, go look at the figures, not just on refugees but immigration in total, over the last few years, yes we had, under Labor, the highest ever two or three years ago. 180,000 in a year. Lots of immigrants are not claiming political refuge They go thru the normal channels and get here even though they may be fleeing for that reason.

As for dog whistling, I am sure you know what I means, but others may not so here is a link with a brief explanation : dog-whistle politics | Taegan Goddard's Political Dictionary

The current Govt are masters of Dog Whistling....

OH, OH and all the unionist's including yourself, don't howl whenever Labor blows a whistle??? Come on, get real.
    The thing is I'm, as I said before, not a die hard Lib, far from it, as said I had Whitlam get in with some advice from my dad, I was given a very balanced political upbringing, Whitlam was first in 27yrs for Labor.

years later Bob Hawke and Keating, were best mates with my dad, before that Malcolm Fraser. so no we only wanted the best policies for the country, my dad was very good at analyzing them and working out the reality bugs. Not just the political fanfare.

He was not aligned to either party, despite lots of whips, and behind the scenes guys wanting him on board.

Our Sunday baked dinners were always political debate's and I always took the devils side so he could make sure what he thought or was going to recommend, was balanced.
    I was head of the school debating team and dad was the founder of Toastmasters at the local RSL. 5555

JC U are too entrenched in your views, as am I, when it comes to this.. Again you failed to show the law that is being broken... All I am asking, is for people to be factual. If you can't provide, for my education, they law these people are breaking, then the convo is just going around in circles... I think I have said in each post, there is no such law... Only perception, given voice by the loud mouths know nothings of talk back radio, to suit their agenda..

As for the ALP Dog Whistling Unions, as you have no experience of the inner workings of Unions, you may be surprised, that we often tell the ALP to go jump. Done it many a time. I had the "pleasure" of working with Mick Costa, when he was part of our Union... what a grub... He used our union to get into politics, and then with the power of a Ministry behind him, attempted to fuck the very people he claimed to represent as a Unionist. I moved, unsuccessfully, on a number of times, to have his memebrship cancelled, because as you know, u need to be a Union member to be a member of the ALP

Gotta Go.... bloody work

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Fark....talk about derailing a thread.

Well done Dave. you watch or listen to the ABC?

It's all been explained-thrashed out there.

Let em wait their turn full stop

Tony Abbott incorrect on asylum seekers breaking Australian law - Fact Check - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Dave, as your from Sydney, you may know a good mate of mine, was high in the unions, Mick Brown. long pigtail down the middle of his back, and a 5th dan karate master.
    Resigned because of all the corruption he was seeing and now lives on the GC.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Fark....talk about derailing a thread.

Well done Dave. you watch or listen to the ABC?

It's all been explained-thrashed out there.

Let em wait their turn full stop

Tony Abbott incorrect on asylum seekers breaking Australian law - Fact Check - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    ooops... sorry... it is something I do feel strongly about is all... and it has been me and the op, so no harm no foul, I woulda thought?

Start a thread about it?

You obviously knew the law thing had been thrashed in the media prior.

Yes sourced quotes from the other side would suffice. You may find some (doubtful) from the looney right of the party.... but I will wait ... I can't find any. Again, get it clear, I am neither Lib or ALP.... just for the record... I railed against Gillard, when she joined the race to the bottom with Abbott on Asylum seekers, it was disgusting, and that is why, she lost my vote.
    Oh Dave, so you dumped Gillard because she agreed with stopping the boat's? nothing else she did, shorely not. I give you more credit for intelligence than just that.

Wrong ..... about the nonsense of invading ... really? Invading in fishing boats? Kinda pales when you consider our incursions into Indo waters with naval vessels on numerous occasions, doesn't it? That is just my opinion btw.
    Yes we have had some trips over the border line while returning disabled boats to their point of departure, also closest port. there was never any attempt or intention of the navy personnel to land on Indo's shore yet alone live there.

Can you source your claim of 20K - 40K for a boat ride? Other than from Scott Morrison?
    As a matter of fact, just yesterday morning, as i reported previously on another post, i watched a program on ABC! I think, called Alive, it was held in the Opera House.
    One of the speakers was a refugee who in 2013 had made his way to Indo and was a photo journalist, having fled a country I can't remember, part of Afghan .

here is the link Big Ideas : ABC TV

He openly described his wait in a room with 12 others in Indo, having paid $14k US in cash, he took photo's and they were shown including him on the boat, on the big screen.
    His boat didn't make it, they abandoned when taking in more water than could be pumped out, they made it back to Indo and he had nothing, his camera had got wet and destroyed but he had his chip that had the photo's, he posted on the internet and friends here in Aust and US took on his cause and got him a political visa and he lives in Sydney and has a studio
    He openly admits on national TV to paying $14US.

So this guy has tried the "Illegal" way, failed and then somehow gets here in less than a year, a lot less. How ??
    and this is some one without a passport, no papers at all....go try getting your Thai lady in here without a passport or Visa..not going to happen!

There was recently a Chinese woman, married to an Aust. that had national citizenship, he was from Iraq? I think but now an Aussie, she had a child but had overstayed and was deported, child was left with the father here. That was about a month or two ago.

Again, the asylum seekers are breaking no law, the people smuggling them certainly are, the asylum seekers... NOPE.

All I asked originally, was for YOU to point out what law the Asylum Seekers were breaking.. You bought them into a discussion about Darwin Airport FFS.... NOT ME... It may be a joke, but these are people, like you and me, after all............. all I am asking you to do is back it up... Not offer another opinion, without supporting evidence... I know it's a big ask, because there is no law they (the asylum seekers) are breaking.

Yes I posted a warning about travel and airports shut down, then I made a joke, and you want to go like a dog after a bone because I used a colloquialism, a word used everyday by all Australians in debate over these people.

Iw will condensed to you that the term is not a legally correct term.

Nazis of 30 years ago? nah I have no knowledge of that...
    The arrest of the Nazie was about 4 years ago, he had been living in Meb. for 30yrs IIRC.

If you want I'll hunt out the email sent to me by a friend that had it sent to him by an Aust. navy person, it was photo's showing some people taken from a boat, claiming asylum and they were wearing top of the line clothes, and the guy had a $30k rolex watch on his wrist. the woman had top leather Guci hand bags etc etc.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    So hows that ash cloud going nowadays....

^ huh?? oh that 55

“We’re seeing a weakening trend in terms of ash being detected,’’ he said.

“The weather pattern has changed so that it’s less likely to come down and affect Australian airspace.’’

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast