Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 1 Post By Quarky
  • 2 Post By Stillearly

Thread: The Ignorance of My Home

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,257

    The Ignorance of My Home

    As people can tell.....I love Boston and where I grew up. But some recent events on FB highlights why I chose to live elsewhere.

    Where I grew up, you were either Irish or Catholic descent.

    Now, where I am from has the biggest influx of Brazilian immigrants in the US.
    When the WC was going on, there were so many people openly cheering against Brazil and happy they lost.

    Just today my cousins, who never left Boston, were complaining about the possibility that Massachusetts may take in illegal immigrant children from Mexico that need care.

    What is especially ironic about my cousins' posts were that just this week one of them made a post about how our grandparents immigrated from Canada!
    I pointed out that our families immigrated to the US but some people may think that is different or somehow better because our families skin color was white!!
    PeteGill likes this.

  2. #2
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,204
    Most of us have come from families that immigrated somewhere along the line... And very often for the self same reasons that people immigrate now, better opertunities.

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,869
    It's not just on national levels.

    It's all about "I've got my patch and I'm not going to share/move over for anyone".
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,238
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    It's not just on national levels.

    It's all about "I've got my patch and I'm not going to share/move over for anyone".
    Astute observation. I've noticed the same thing many times. For example, When I first started my career in Forestry we had to wait 5 years before we were allowed to advance to the next level... no matter how good our skill was. Then, that was lowered to 3 years which was a more sensible number. But, many of the old staff complained even though it didn't affect them personally at all. Another example, I have showed many anglers the good fishing places that I had found on my own. But, once they had learned these new locations they didn't want anyone else to learn, and complained when I showed new people. Another example is a fishing club where we had a limited membership of 15 guys. We decided to increase it to 20 to allow 5 new members to join. Then, later when we decided to expand again to 30 members, those same 5 members who had been allowed to join did not want any new members.

  5. #5
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,732
    It's almost dangerous nowadays to have a non-cosmopolitan society.... as it tends to breed paranoiac racism. Go to Eastern Europe where nearly everyone is the same ethnicity and anyone even slightly different is stared at... then go to somewhere like Vancouver, London or Auckland where no single ethnicity stands out and people seem to accept "differences" much more easily...

    Or am I dreaming? Seeing what I want to see?
    PeteGill likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  6. #6
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    7,167
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    As people can tell.....I love Boston and where I grew up. But some recent events on FB highlights why I chose to live elsewhere.

    Where I grew up, you were either Irish or Catholic descent.

    Now, where I am from has the biggest influx of Brazilian immigrants in the US.
    When the WC was going on, there were so many people openly cheering against Brazil and happy they lost.

    Just today my cousins, who never left Boston, were complaining about the possibility that Massachusetts may take in illegal immigrant children from Mexico that need care.

    What is especially ironic about my cousins' posts were that just this week one of them made a post about how our grandparents immigrated from Canada!
    I pointed out that our families immigrated to the US but some people may think that is different or somehow better because our families skin color was white!!
    In Aus you would expect that sought of mindset from more country areas, regional areas, redneck country ... hicktowns call it what you will, but not from a metropolitan city like Boston..

    In Sydney there is still some concern about the Asian population taking over many suburbs, but i would hazard a guess only a small minority of people think this way

    Is this a generalization of Boston people ? and if so how and where did this mindset come from..
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,863
    Quarky and Sydney like this.

  8. #8
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    7,167
    ^^^ hah had me fooled for a bit
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    In Aus you would expect that sought of mindset from more country areas, regional areas, redneck country ... hicktowns call it what you will, but not from a metropolitan city like Boston..

    In Sydney there is still some concern about the Asian population taking over many suburbs, but i would hazard a guess only a small minority of people think this way

    Is this a generalization of Boston people ? and if so how and where did this mindset come from..
    You have areas of Sydney where a lot of Asians do live. Cabramatta would be the 1st one most people would think of. I 1st lived in Melbourne 32 years ago and Springvale all that many years ago had no English shop signs and even some of direction signs is Asian. So it is not a new thing happening, but is just more noticeable now because of the numbers coming in now.

    I have no problems with it at all. I have worked and socialised with many different races and take people how I find them. That said there is a lot of older Australian's that cant seem to get their heads around the situation and would have a different attitude than me.

    As JC said, country areas seem to have a more red neck attitude towards immigrants than city dwellers do. Jobs are harder to come by in country areas, and I would imagine that would be the main reason for the harder attitude.

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,869
    The attitude of "I've got mine so p1ss off" isn't just race related.

    It is so common in many everyday things. As an example, surfing. By now you know I surfed all my life and everyone has "their " break, beach or point.
    I moved to Coolangatta in 1978 and some years later left, came back for years and left again.
    The last time i returned, it was ....get the Fcuk out of here, this is our spot.....this was from kids that weren't born when i was surfing there, probably not their fathers either.

    Not being one to be shy i told them so as well, it really got bad, surfboards being flicked into my face etc.

    Even the Pro surfers, Kelly Slater, recently had trouble in the water at Snapper rocks while practicing for the tournament. He claimed in the press, it was the worst he had experienced anywhere in the world.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,238
    As a Canadian in a country where everyone shares, it gets a bit annoying when new immigrants move in and want to bring their restrictive customs with them. I don't care what country they are from. For the most part, Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese and Burmese) tend to adapt to Canadian customs and within one generation they are the same as everyone else... except for the colour of their skin. They intermarry and become the same as any other Canadian. However, Hindus, Sikhs and Islamic immigrants do not integrate. They just build a separate country within our country and keep to their own culture. Very, very few will marry outside their own culture.

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    In Aus you would expect that sought of mindset from more country areas, regional areas, redneck country ... hicktowns call it what you will, but not from a metropolitan city like Boston..

    In Sydney there is still some concern about the Asian population taking over many suburbs, but i would hazard a guess only a small minority of people think this way

    Is this a generalization of Boston people ? and if so how and where did this mindset come from..
    Boston and especially my poorer area is very insular
    They are the kind of people whose only holidays outside of New England is to either Disney World or go see a Boston sports team

    I said to my cousin when we were debating about caring for these unaccompanied illegal children that it is a humantarian issue and you cant boast that American is the greatest country in the world and then not step up when children are in need

    The funny thing is it is these conservative imbeciles like my one cousin who would be one to boast about America and then balk at helping people and never been out of the country

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    As a Canadian in a country where everyone shares, it gets a bit annoying when new immigrants move in and want to bring their restrictive customs with them. I don't care what country they are from. For the most part, Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese and Burmese) tend to adapt to Canadian customs and within one generation they are the same as everyone else... except for the colour of their skin. They intermarry and become the same as any other Canadian. However, Hindus, Sikhs and Islamic immigrants do not integrate. They just build a separate country within our country and keep to their own culture. Very, very few will marry outside their own culture.
    Actually I would say Asians dont acclimate as much as the Indians and Muslims they just seem less in your face
    But I would say for the most part they stick to their own world
    We were just on lower Robson and Ao said it doesnt feel like you are in Canada

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,238
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Actually I would say Asians dont acclimate as much as the Indians and Muslims they just seem less in your face
    But I would say for the most part they stick to their own world
    We were just on lower Robson and Ao said it doesnt feel like you are in Canada
    They don't call it Hongcouver for nothing. But, I had second generation Asians around us in Vancouver for many years. My father's two employees were Chinese and they eventually bought his business when he retired. They were like family to us. Many of my Canadian friends were second generation Chinese and Japanese and many could not speak their own language. It would be interesting to see the comparison figures between whites and Asians in Vancouver. In parts of the city it is almost 90% Asian. I've always felt welcome in any Asian family home. I've never been welcomed in any Indian or Islamic home. They've been polite, but not friendly. I learned to stay clear of Indian women no matter how attractive they were.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •