Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New immigration rules for tourists

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar

New immigration rules for tourists

...at least in Hua Hin seem to suggest that tourists need to carry either there passport or a copy validated by immigration. 2,000 bhat fine if you get caught without either.

So with my tourist hat on can I assume that I will be offered the option to make a copy as I enter the Kingdom?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    No chance I'm carrying my passport around with me , a photocopy or a picture on your phone maybe ... you would have a lot of pissed off tourists if they actually did this ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    At least this will stop car and scooter renters from demanding your passport...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    No chance I'm carrying my passport around with me , a photocopy or a picture on your phone maybe ... you would have a lot of pissed off tourists if they actually did this ...

Exactly. Imagine the hassle if you lost it on holiday.

^^ Do you have the possibility of having a Passport as well as an ID card?

We do, and I usually have my ID with me, while the passport stays in the room's safe..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    ^^ Do you have the possibility of having a Passport as well as an ID card?

We do, and I usually have my ID with me, while the passport stays in the room's safe..
    In HH the valid IDs are ..

- Thai Drivers Licence
    - Passport original
    - Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    In HH the valid IDs are ..

- Thai Drivers Licence
    - Passport original
    - Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration
    Hmm...

I am sure Pinot is happy to carry his passport around to please the G's..555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Take a picture of the photo page of your passport as well as the visa stamp and keep on your phone. Thats all you need.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

"They" tend to interpret rules at whim.

Under Thai law everyone over 16 is required to carry identification, perhaps to be expected in one of the first countries in the world to introduce a national ID card. For a foreigner obviously that should be a passport, but a Thai driving licence is generally OK. Beyond that it seems to depend on who is applying the rule, and how pedantic they are being that moment / week / month / year.

It may sound OTT and enforcement will no doubt vary from location to location. I'm sure that a home DL or photocopy may suffice in most tourist areas or at very least. Who's going to run from say Patong to Immi office for a stamped copy or carry passport in shorts on Bangla (or the beach) especially in rainy season?

If up-country/out of town one should always have pp on you anyway.

How many BM's have ever been asked for ID whilst in Th ... other than when driving?
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    How many BM's have ever been asked for ID whilst in Th ... other than when driving?
    Not even once in over a decade.

The fact that only HH immigration have issued an order makes me think that an over zealous officer has taken it upon himself to do this rather than it being a Nationwide campaign. We will see.
    Always be yourself.........Unless you can be a Dragon.........Then always be a Dragon.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
    Not even once in over a decade.

The fact that only HH immigration have issued an order makes me think that an over zealous officer has taken it upon himself to do this rather than it being a Nationwide campaign. We will see.
    Read elsewhere, that this is "likely" to become part of a national campaign. Wait n see I guess. I think if pressed, the PP requirement would fall over... An alien's normally accepted ID defaults to A PP, not sure that the law actually *requires* a PP. At a few traffic stops, I have shown my Aussie DL with no probs... Maybe times have changed with the GG in charge..... YAY ....not

As for being asked for ID? Yep.... three times.. All in BKK, and not traffic stops... When I am out n about with Madam, I just chuck the PP into her bag... NP really.
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

I have - it was outside my hotel. They were stopping everyone at the entrance and if you didn't have your passport on you, you had to go get it. Copy was no good, they wanted to see the stamps, and each person had to have their photo taken holding up the photograph page.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ never ever seen that here.

Carrying Your Passport:
    It is required by Thai law that Thai citizens AND all visitors MUST carry proper identification at all times. This must be presented upon demand by a Police Officer or other legitimate Government Official.

It's always been the case but rarely do people get scrutinised or asked for them apart from checking in,bike and car rentals etc

Only thing that could change is that people are asked for their PP or ID more often.

Decent advice...

2. Re: Carrying your passport?
    27 September 2010, 20:37
    Hi,

This is one of those situations which I call "lesser of two evils"... The FCO is correct in that the the strict interpretation of the Thai Immigration law is that all foreigners must have on them (meaning on their physical person) proof of identity and legal status to be in country.. In most all cases for non-Thai nationals this is your passport..

However, you need to balance that with the risk that your passport may become lost, stolen or damaged (I've seen people drop their passports in the toilet or water/river/ocean).. and if this were to happen you will incur significant expenses to get it replaced and need to do some quick Thai-officialdom to get to your entry stamps replaced before being allowed to leave... In all, this is a situation best avoided if at all possible..

My advice is, and I think others will concur.. is to carry a photocopy of your passport-- that is the photo/details page, along with a copy of your stamped immigration card (which should be stapled into your passport at time of entry) and the actual immigration stamp applied to your passport..

By doing this, you can reasonably show to officers; A) who you are, B) your entry status, and C) your permitted period of stay in the Kingdom.. In essence, everything that might be asked of a foreigner in the Kingdom.

To be fair, this does not meet the full *technical* rules of the Immigration Act, but I think it's the best balance between the two risks-- being caught/asked for ID and not having it and loosing your passport and the costs to replace it.

Travel Safe,
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 30th July 2014 at 14:57.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    I have - it was outside my hotel. They were stopping everyone at the entrance and if you didn't have your passport on you, you had to go get it. Copy was no good, they wanted to see the stamps, and each person had to have their photo taken holding up the photograph page.
    Whereabouts? I've heard of it in CM bars during drug-related investigation and yaba trafficking crackdown [no pun intended] and that's part of the current move by HH Immi. Farangs should probably expect more ID/visa checks for a while.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Whereabouts? I've heard of it in CM bars during drug-related investigation and yaba trafficking crackdown [no pun intended] and that's part of the current move by HH Immi. Farangs should probably expect more ID/visa checks for a while.
    This was in Patong.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Me, I started a thread about it in March remember... And the cop said it had to be the original when I asked in CM.....

The one I was at was aimed at the falangs at the bars at the time, I did not see them question any of the girls... So quite how it was a drug bust is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    The one I was at was aimed at the falangs at the bars at the time, I did not see them question any of the girls... So quite how it was a drug bust is beyond me.
    RTP had orders at that time to increase surveillance on all farangs. A number of persons of middle-eastern appearance were believed to be involved with yaba transport to southern regions.
    Cheers, Rob.

RTP had orders at that time to increase surveillance on all farangs. A number of persons of middle-eastern appearance were believed to be involved with yaba transport to southern regions.
    Well perhaps it is true that all falangs look alike, as none of the three of us sat at the bar looked even close to being middle eastern 5555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast