Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Convictions & Sentences finally for KR leaders in Cambodia.

Convictions & Sentences finally for KR leaders in Cambodia.

A cnn post:

Khmer Rouge leaders guilty, sentenced to life in prison - CNN.com

Too little too late, but maybe now they can move a head with other things.

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    A cnn post:

Khmer Rouge leaders guilty, sentenced to life in prison - CNN.com

Too little too late, but maybe now they can move a head with other things.
    I wonder how many Cambodians under 40 even know what they are guilty of?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I would guess that they have wondered why they don't have grandparents?
    Quarky and Changone like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Very few , it's not taught in schools

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I know... neither are Thais! Seems so sad it is ignored...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    ostriches have a strange view of history

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    yes it is.

in the 80s - no teachers (killed), no schools . . .

but since 2009:

Survivors teach Khmer Rouge history to Cambodia's teachers
    Cambodia adopted a standard curriculum to help students learn about the atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge. To make sure the message gets across, victims of the regime's crimes tell their stories to teachers.
    In 2009, Cambodia's Education Ministry approved the first-ever Khmer Rouge history textbook. It's now a part of the school curriculum.
    "History is very important to be shared with other people, especially the young generation, who haven't been through the Khmer Rouge regime," Peoudara (deputy director of the Documentation Center of Cambodia) said.
    "We want them to understand what happened to this country and how to prevent such atrocities from happening again."
    Teachers meet Khmer Rouge survivors and also come face-to-face with former Khmer Rouge members.

Teaching the Khmer Rouge era has not been straightforward in Cambodia.
    The subject disappeared from the curriculum in the early 1990s when Pol Pot and his followers were among the signatories to a peace agreement.
    A series of defections and the presence of former Khmer Rouge members in the current government mean it is still a sensitive issue to tackle.
    So the new textbook is careful to concentrate on the grim facts of the Pol Pot era, rather than any political analysis. And that has ensured its official approval.
    PeteGill likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    It must be difficult, you would want to inform without opening old wounds and starting some sort of backlash. It is a fine line to tread IMO
    Nelson Mandela would be a great example of someone who advocated forgiveness balanced with recognition of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    It must be difficult, you would want to inform without opening old wounds and starting some sort of backlash. It is a fine line to tread IMO
    Nelson Mandela would be a great example of someone who advocated forgiveness balanced with recognition of the past.
    Diplomacy is always difficult when dealing with old wounds. There is a fine line between being a freedom fighter and a terrorist. I know if anyone ever did anything bad to my family I would seek revenge in the nastiest way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    yes it is.

but since 2009:

Cambodia adopted a standard curriculum to help students learn about the atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge. To make sure the message gets across, victims of the regime's crimes tell their stories to teachers.
    In 2009, Cambodia's Education Ministry approved the first-ever Khmer Rouge history textbook. It's now a part of the school curriculum.
    "History is very important to be shared with other people, especially the young generation, who haven't been through the Khmer Rouge regime," Peoudara (deputy director of the Documentation Center of Cambodia) said.
    "We want them to understand what happened to this country and how to prevent such atrocities from happening again."
    Teachers meet Khmer Rouge survivors and also come face-to-face with former Khmer Rouge members.

The subject disappeared from the curriculum in the early 1990s when Pol Pot and his followers were among the signatories to a peace agreement.
    A series of defections and the presence of former Khmer Rouge members in the current government mean it is still a sensitive issue to tackle.
    So the new textbook is careful to concentrate on the grim facts of the Pol Pot era, rather than any political analysis. And that has ensured its official approval.
    ...and yet, albeit that I have only asked a few about it, every Cambodian girl I have asked has no knowledge of the topic... and seem fascinated when I tell them... like I am making it up, until I show them on the internet...

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    and they're not very old wounds - KR was finally 'wound up' in late 1990s, a long time after their actual reign ended 1979
    There's a good timeline here

I've done a few cycling tours in Cambodia, three with the same guide - one of them was just me and him - low season - and we got to talk a lot more than he ever did in a group. He couldn't understand the tourists wanting to see Killing Fields, Tuol Sleng torture prison etc, didn't like it when people asked him about 'those times'. I don't have the right words - think he thought it should be 'private' - not covered up, but neither for something for people to gawp at.

About 30, he'd have been born into 'freedom' and his knowledge would have been passed to him through family/community.

It was, perhaps, something from 'the old country' and better left there.
    Last edited by Hatari; 8th August 2014 at 18:27. Reason: spellllling
    PeteGill likes this.

from The Nation today

Changone and TLandHim like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Why isn't it taught in Thai education?

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Why isn't it taught in Thai education?
    I'm not sure if the standard Thai education includes anywhere else in the world but Thailand. The ones I've met in villages seem woefully lacking in history or geography other than Thailand. And, even it is biased.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I'm not sure if the standard Thai education includes anywhere else in the world but Thailand. The ones I've met in villages seem woefully lacking in history or geography other than Thailand. And, even it is biased.

That's very sad. Even more so considering how it may affect them in the long term with ASEAN around the corner.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    yes it is.

but since 2009:

Not according to the guides and people I met over there , but okay if they have recently ( 2009 ) started teaching it then , good news , about time

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Diplomacy is always difficult when dealing with old wounds. There is a fine line between being a freedom fighter and a terrorist. I know if anyone ever did anything bad to my family I would seek revenge in the nastiest way possible.
    We've watched all the Die Hard movies. And they were great. But now we're taking it up a notch. Ian Forbes stars in the first of many acts of bloody vengeance. Die Nasty One: The Rusty Fish Hook. Rated R....
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    We've watched all the Die Hard movies. And they were great. But now we're taking it up a notch. Ian Forbes stars in the first of many acts of bloody vengeance. Die Nasty One: The Rusty Fish Hook. Rated R....
    Did you ever read what the Apache indians did to their victims? You should see me with a skinning knife. 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    ^^ did the apaches hold their victims down and show them the same pictures, over and over and over and over and.....555
    bacwaan and Moo Uaon like this.

You should see me with a skinning knife. 5555
    is there a loincloth involved?

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo . . . .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast