Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By supersub

Thread: Indonesian family finds daughter swept away in 2004 tsunami

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar

Indonesian family finds daughter swept away in 2004 tsunami

Mother says Raudhatul Jannah was rescued from sea and taken in by islanders until an uncle spotted her in street

An Indonesian girl swept away in the 2004 tsunami has been found a decade after she was given up for dead, according to her family.

“God has given us a miracle,” said Jamaliah, the mother of Raudhatul Jannah, who went missing when she was four.

Jannah and her seven-year-old brother were carried off when huge waves struck their home in West Aceh district on 26 December 2004.

Jamaliah, 42, and her husband survived the tsunami that killed tens of thousands in Aceh on western Sumatra island. They had long ago given up hope of finding either of their children alive.

But in June Jamaliah’s brother spotted a girl in a village walking home from school who bore a striking resemblance to Jannah.

He made inquiries and found out the girl had been caught up in the tsunami and swept from Aceh to some remote islands south-west of the province.

A fisherman rescued the girl, took her back to the mainland and handed her to his mother, who raised the youngster, according to Jamaliah.

After the tip-off from her brother Jamaliah and her husband visited the girl, now aged 14, in late June and discovered it was indeed their daughter who went missing a decade earlier.

“My husband and I are very happy,” Jamaliah told AFP. “I am so grateful to God for reuniting us with our child after 10 years of being separated.

“My heart beat so fast when I saw her. I hugged her and she hugged me back and felt so comfortable in my arms,” she said, adding that she could not stop the “tears from flowing” during the reunion.

Jannah, who was called Wenni by the elderly woman who raised her, returned to her hometown to be with her parents on Wednesday.

The family believed her brother, Arif Pratama Rangkuti, also survived after being swept away to the same islands but his whereabouts were unknown, Jamaliah said.

The tsunami killed more than 170,000 people in Aceh and tens of thousands of others in other countries around the Indian Ocean.

Indonesian family finds daughter swept away in 2004 tsunami | World news | theguardian.com

-------------

My faith in humanity has been partially restored.
    Quarky likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Beat me to it Supersub...
    One of the best good news stories I've heard in ages.
    Just the looks on the faces of mum daughter and family are priceless.
    It made my day.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Wow made me grin from ear to ear firkin great and how would you feel.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Truly amazing story. Can't imagine how the family or girl felt to be reunited.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Read that today , amazing story , made me smile a lot

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Last paragraph of the article:

But the arrival of Raudhatul may bring even more good news. The girl, now 14, says that she and her older brother Arif, who is still missing, both survived the tsunami and ended up together on Banyak Island. But the girl was taken away by one fisherman, and the brother by another man, leading the parents to believe their son – also presumed dead for the past decade – may be out there too.

Incredible story ...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    I know that after the tsunami that area was a soul sandwich, but I just wonder why the adopted 'mother' didn't try to locate the little girls family? Through the Red Cross, or government?

Anyway, 10 years thinking that your child was dead....wow...