• 1 Post By RakThai

Thread: Are you suffering from SPS

Are you suffering from SPS

If you can't check yourself out, maybe check a suitably skilled doctor

Stiff person syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

What made you post this Steve? Are you suffering?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I thought you were joking for a sec and were referring to sourpuss people.

I do have a lot of muscular tension in my body, which causes me all sorts of problems. But I don't think it's this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

I do have a lot of muscular tension in my body, which causes me all sorts of problems. But I don't think it's this.
    Same here , seeing a physio at the moment

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Same here , seeing a physio at the moment
    I'm thinking about acupuncture as well. Some people swear by it.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Its funny how how quickly the mind can start to fill in the gaps when reading a acronym.
    My first thought was Stiff Pr!ck Syndrome.5555
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I'm thinking about acupuncture as well. Some people swear by it.
    I swear by it, have used it fur many years gone past and still have my own tuneup points I treat myself.

The one thing I always tell people thinking of it is to make sure you get a proper exponent. Why i say this is there has been a massive popularity in the last couple of decades and there has been a lot of people jump on the bandwagon, many have done short courses and some qualifications seemed to have been given out willy nilly.

Acupuncture and Chinese medicine is about studying the whole of the body landscape, not just treating the symptom. As such a good doctor on the first appointment will take a long time to assess you before treating you.
    He will ask lots of questions, like do your feet get hot at night? about the color and consistency of your sh1t, how often etc He will check your pulse's, yes in Chinese you have more than one and he will look at your tongue for colour and texture.

All the time he is building a picture of your whole health. He may then consult a book or two, or not, then get you onto the table.
    The needles are very fine, not like a doctors and he will insert and then use his fingers to swivel them back and forth till it stimulates the point he is working on. Now when this happens you may get a shot of pain but its a different sort of pain, it's more like a little shock. Sometimes that shock will run from one point to another, or he may use a little pulse machine connected to two of the needles to send impulses down the Meridian to clear it.

If you go to someone and they ask what's wrong and you tell them, then they tell you to undress and get on the table, just walk out. You could finish up with more problems than you had going in.
    Sydney likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    I swear by it, have used it fur many years gone past and still have my own tuneup points I treat myself.

Gee I forgot I stated this thread... a very late reply....

The one thing I always tell people thinking of it is to make sure you get a proper exponent. Why i say this is there has been a massive popularity in the last couple of decades and there has been a lot of people jump on the bandwagon, many have done short courses and some qualifications seemed to have been given out willy nilly.

Acupuncture and Chinese medicine is about studying the whole of the body landscape, not just treating the symptom. As such a good doctor on the first appointment will take a long time to assess you before treating you.
    He will ask lots of questions, like do your feet get hot at night? about the color and consistency of your sh1t, how often etc He will check your pulse's, yes in Chinese you have more than one and he will look at your tongue for colour and texture.

All the time he is building a picture of your whole health. He may then consult a book or two, or not, then get you onto the table.
    The needles are very fine, not like a doctors and he will insert and then use his fingers to swivel them back and forth till it stimulates the point he is working on. Now when this happens you may get a shot of pain but its a different sort of pain, it's more like a little shock. Sometimes that shock will run from one point to another, or he may use a little pulse machine connected to two of the needles to send impulses down the Meridian to clear it.

If you go to someone and they ask what's wrong and you tell them, then they tell you to undress and get on the table, just walk out. You could finish up with more problems than you had going in.
    After numerous thai massages and a chiropractor or two I have found a chinese guy that does deep tissue massage that is giving me relief, relaxing my muscles and stopping cramps.

But wow does it ever hurt when he presses down on the muscles...it is mainly in my legs but may be its all coming from my back and shoulders...he gives them a workout too.... When I get to Thailand I'm going to seek out a place in Soi 19 Sukhumvit to see if they can do the same...also have been recommended a good acupuncturist in bkk.

It costs my AUD60/hour here and I am not in a private health fund so no deductions. I am getting 1 hr per week. I was getting 2 2hr massages a week in bkk when last there The masseuse did a kind of deep tissue massage but not the same as this chinese guy.. and not releasing the tension as successfully.

When I read about SPS, I don't think I fit those symptoms... (it did make me smile though and thought the post might have got a few more humorous replies.

I've had this problem for years...had back problems even in my teens.

About 20 yrs ago a thai masseuse warned my that the stiffness in my legs couple temporarily cripple me if the muscle tension went unreleased. Now I am very active a lot of walking both in my work and in recreation and I don't notice the stiffness but my muscles are sore to press and I can bring on a cramp very easily by bending my leg back from the knees.

I have suspected statin drugs, which I take for cardio vascular disease, aggrevates the condition but am reluctant to stop the very small doses that I take ( 20mg/day simvastatin).

I am also investigating possible dietary issues, deficiencies etx... Someone said try magnesium. I was taking multi vitamin tablets which included magnesium. I stopped about a year ago but will try a course of magnesium tablets as well
    Last edited by BangkokSteve; 4th November 2014 at 06:55. Reason: additions
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

I wonder if you are short of magnesium due to sweating a lot? Ever take magnesium tablets?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Magnesium should not be an issue when you have a normal diet and are not a type 2 diabetic and / or alcoholic..
    Magnesium tablets? A glass of milk and a hand full of peanuts will do better..

As far as I know, there is no severe loss of Magnesium through sweating..

Statins do have a profound effect on muscle tension, especially in the legs!

But regardless of all that..
    The positive effect of massages suggest a stress / tension component..
    And these type of complaints being present from your youth, or decades anyway, should make you aware that your body has been giving you signals you have been ignoring!

So the advise should be to first try to figure out what your body is telling you... And next how you can deal with that...
    You will find that the answer is more in the line of lifestyle, exercise, diet and stress reduction than medication and supplements...
    Changone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Magnesium should not be an issue when you have a normal diet and are not a type 2 diabetic and / or alcoholic..
    Magnesium tablets? A glass of milk and a hand full of peanuts will do better..

As far as I know, there is no severe loss of Magnesium through sweating..

Statins do have a profound effect on muscle tension, especially in the legs!

But regardless of all that..
    The positive effect of massages suggest a stress / tension component..
    And these type of complaints being present from your youth, or decades anyway, should make you aware that your body has been giving you signals you have been ignoring!

So the advise should be to first try to figure out what your body is telling you... And next how you can deal with that...
    You will find that the answer is more in the line of lifestyle, exercise, diet and stress reduction than medication and supplements...
    I use magnesium spray on my legs a lot... gets rid of cramping within about half an hour... I usually use it after a heavy running session and before long runs (over an hour). I just thought if he sweats a lot in the heat it may have been a factor...

Thanks for the serious replies.

I have a referral from my gp to visut a dietician but at $200 a visit I wonder if she will have anything to tell me.

Magnesium spray..somrone else mentioned that too. I'll try it..no harm.

Although as RT says a good diet should normally supply all my needs and that is why I recently stopped spending the $1 /day for them .

So RT, how do I work out what my body is telling me? I am not a heavy sweater but I probably drink less water than I should...
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    From a commercial site....is this true.....?

...Now before I reveal this chapter, let me also be clear about one thing: I use the brand of Magnetic Clay magnesium oil and flakes made by Ancient Minerals. I do this because this stuff does not have the heavy metals in it that most other brands do.

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I go to an RMT about once a month to loosen up my neck
    They release all the toxins that get built up in the tightness of my neck

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BangkokSteve View Post
    So RT, how do I work out what my body is telling me? I am not a heavy sweater but I probably drink less water than I should...
    Can't answer that question, Steve, not without a whole lot more information..

But what may be helpful is to do an inventory of the main factors.. Stress -relax - exercise - static "action" (sit on your a$$), diet (mainly how much good vs bad fats), etc. Just write them out on a piece of paper..

Evaluating these, ask yourself if there is a balance and where the disturbances of the balance are?

Then set your self small reachable goals that may assist in reaching the main goal of feeling better in your body..

Based on what you have said already, drinking 3 glasses of water a day beside your normal intake will be a reachable and helpful goal..
    Or 5 minute stretch / warming-up exercises (plenty on the www) twice a day..

Lowering cholesterol and losing the statins might be too big a goal, depending on your health.. And something to consult your doctor and dietitian about...
    Quarky likes this.

Thanks for that RT.

M2S what does RMT stand for?
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Hmmm...what is this SPS...think i'm suffering from SFA ATM
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BangkokSteve View Post
    Thanks for that RT.

M2S what does RMT stand for?
    Registered Massage Therapist

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Potassium in bananas is good for cramps. I used to suffer quite regularly with cramp in my feet and hands. A banana evry couple of days has relieved this for me.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.