Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What kind of lifestyle

Cadet Bronze

What kind of lifestyle

Im getting close to retirement,and would like to know,what kind of lifestyle I could have in Thailand on 18000 bht a week? Accomdation wise ,and entertainment ,just general day to day living thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    the 78k/month you mention is good/very livable although you have only mentioned LOS and not an area.
    for instance CM is much cheaper than phuket.
    i lived well on phuket for around that. modern sea view apartment,car,bikes,many nights out,endless amounts of girls

best to do some research on where and the type of place you want to live in first of all and go from there.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

I've got a blog post here about the retirement budget. At 72k a month...pretty good.

The Thailand Retirement Budget | Kamalala

or how about listing the lifestyle you want . . . then putting a cost/value on that?

A lot depends on how you set yourself up - eg buy an apartment and vehicle, and still that money coming in per week is a lot different to taking rent for accomm/vehicle from that income

I detailed on a thread somewhere here before; 2012 we had two people move to our town based on 'cheap living' One stayed 3 weeks, the other 5 months. At the time their arrival doubled the number of native-English speakers in our town area (about 9000 people). Isolation, loneliness, desperation with very few allowances here for a non-Thai speaker.

I am out of touch with Phuket costs; do know the place we rented 2009 in Chalong for 9500/month (including free internet, cable tv and water) is now rented at 16,000 plus internet, cable tv and water. Here we have a large 2-bedroom house fully renovated when we moved in, 3500b per month. But that's just somewhere to sleep - as the two in 2012 found - need a lot more than that to be happy.

Copied and pasted this checklist many times, think it still holds true:

Most people have to make a trade-off involving......
    • utilities
    • convenience
    • accessibility
    • costs
    • comforts of home
    • communications
    • isolation
    • 'western' comforts, company etc
    • loneliness
    • wildlife
    • maybe the wife/partner’s family
    • medical care
    • climate

Climate's more than just heat; includes health considerations for some.
    As a 'reformed asthmatic' I was fine in Phuket, here in Chanthaburi. The burning/smoke seasons in Chiang Mai/Rai etc I couldn't survive; same with the fumes in central Bangkok - I can't get away from that city quick enough and have never been there more than 4 hours. 100km up the coast from us, Rayong, had to leave same day we arrived, short holiday that was - air pollution.

Sometimes it small things that add up, plus or minus. My friendly bookshop lady gets one Sunday Bangkok Post - just for me. No extra charge, they have a standard order for one copy each week. It's the only easy access I have to English reading material that's not on a screen. Understand there is a second hand bookshop 80km NW of us at Ban Phe near Koh Samet but haven't been there.
    We go to movies about once a month, 2 x 5-screen cinema complexes to choose from, all the latest movies, but never with subtitles - there is no demand. Every time I go to Phnom Penh or Penang/KL I make a point of seeing a movie, in English on the big screen.
    Last edited by Hatari; 28th August 2014 at 14:38.
    jontymate likes this.

^ nice post H.
    Lifestyle is a huge issue.

The rent spiral is something i hope i have escaped. Just re signed for another year on a nice,new,modern 3 bedder,2 bathroom,carport,big yard with mountain view place for 8k baht/month again
    weitling likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ nice post H.

The rent spiral is something i hope i have escaped. Just re signed for another year on a nice,new,modern 3 bedder,2 bathroom,carport,big yard with mountain view place for 8k baht/month again
    Jeez, really for 8k baht/month... can't get that type of place in Patong for that price, 555
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    ^ nice post H.

I'd gravitate towards CM just for the climate
    I was just in Hawaii and everyday was about 33 to 35 C and I just don't have a desire to live in a hot climate like that all year
    Just need to plan your day around the heat too much

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I'd gravitate towards CM just for the climate
    I was just in Hawaii and everyday was about 33 to 35 C and I just don't have a desire to live in a hot climate like that all year
    Just need to plan your day around the heat too much
    Is it giving you second thoughts about where you were thinking of possibly living just south of Bangkok?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Perfect scenario for me would be 10 months in CM and the north and march and april beachside further south
    Minder likes this.

Average rental house in CM, 7 k's from city (3k's from airport) - scooter/walk to big shops = ~12 to 15,000Bt + utilities which can add another 1,500 to 2,500 depend on Internet speeds/TV contract etc. 2 persons can live very well on 60k per month or less depending on entertainment and grog requirements.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Perfect scenario for me would be 10 months in CM and the north and march and april beachside further south
    Without a significant other. The master of a picture for every situation, our Ajarn Forbes has a pretty good balance. 5555
    Moo Uaon likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Is it giving you second thoughts about where you were thinking of possibly living just south of Bangkok?
    In February we were reaching for jumpers only a couple of hundred k's north of BKK so a nice change in season did remind me of QLD winters and summers not so different...damn hot.5555

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    In February we were reaching for jumpers only a couple of hundred k's north of BKK so a nice change in season did remind me of QLD winters and summers not so different...damn hot.5555
    I remember Christmas in Issan. Everyone was cold except for me... 555

24 degrees and lovely I thought...
    Hatari likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

^ we had Xmas in CM last year and it was near record lows and the GF was relieved to head back home to Isaan for new year only to find that it was even colder there.

hasty trip into town to get some doonas/duvets after the first night back 555

I don't think I will ever live in any hot country permanently
    I just don't like the constant heat
    But I can't just not spend a decent amount of time in LOS IN the future just to be fair to my wife so it may be there for a few years and back to N/A for school if we have a child when they are school age or split time

^ we had Xmas in CM last year and it was near record lows and the GF was relieved to head back home to Isaan for new year only to find that it was even colder there.

hasty trip into town to get some doonas/duvets after the first night back 555
    We were in 30-35 C all last week and now back to 20 to 23 C and sunny and quite cool in the evening and fine by me

I remember Christmas in Issan. Everyone was cold except for me... 555

24 degrees and lovely I thought...
    How far north was that?
    First time we went to Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, December a few years back, was first time MsH had been north of Bangkok
    15C at CR and instant shopping required - not joking, she had never been in temperature that cold before. Coldest month here, Dec, has average minimum a little over 20C.
    At least shops there had plenty of warm clothes in stock.
    She has a warm jacket for when we go to movies - that's about the coldest it ever gets here.

6*C to about 22 max in northern Isaan last Xmas-New Year.
    Once the sun came up it warmed up fairly quick.

Don't mind it cooler for a bit of the year as March and April can get hot here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    How far north was that?
    First time we went to Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, December a few years back, was first time MsH had been north of Bangkok
    15C at CR and instant shopping required - not joking, she had never been in temperature that cold before. Coldest month here, Dec, has average minimum a little over 20C.
    At least shops there had plenty of warm clothes in stock.
    She has a warm jacket for when we go to movies - that's about the coldest it ever gets here.
    Believe it or not......my wife is fine doing her daily life in 0-10 C
    She only comments on the cold if we are out leisurely but coming and going to work and such.....really never says anything

Plenty of replies but nothing from the OP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast