Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Are you confused by what is going on in the Middle East?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Are you confused by what is going on in the Middle East?

Are you confused by what is going on in the Middle East?
    Let me explain... from an American perspective.
    We support the Iraqi government in the fight against ISIS.
    We donít like ISIS, but ISIS is supported by Saudi Arabia who we do like.
    We donít like Assad in Syria. We support the fight against him, but ISIS is also fighting against him.
    We donít like Iran, but Iran supports the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIS.
    So some of our friends support our enemies, some enemies are now our friends, and some of our enemies are fighting against our other enemies, who we want to lose, but we donít want our enemies who are fighting our enemies to win.
    If the people we want to defeat are defeated, they could be replaced by people we like even less.
    And all this was started by us invading a country to drive out terrorists who were not actually there until we went in to drive them out.

It's quite simple, really.
    Do you understand now?
    .................................................. ........................
    Sells a lot of war weaponry, though, doesn't it.

Being the crap stirrer that I am I just had to pass this on.
    1080, Mick and obes like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    A quote from the movie Lord of War.

"During the Iran-Iraq war you were selling weapons to both sides".

"Did it ever occur to you that I wanted both sides to lose?"

American foreign policy in the ME only seems confusing. It isnt.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Why can't all these bad guys just live on 1 part of the world where they are free to enforce whatever draconian laws they want and leave the rest of us to enjoy apple, Starbucks and macdonalds.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I'm confused by Obama's decision to bomb Syria.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Why can't all these bad guys just live on 1 part of the world where they are free to enforce whatever draconian laws they want and leave the rest of us to enjoy apple, Starbucks and macdonalds.
    I'm confused with use of "enjoy" ... Starbucks make the world's worst coffee, Macca's is actually better but their burgers are crap .... meanwhile Apple make a device which is great for everything but phone calls.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Good idea, but the good people keep allowing them to move to other places and like a cancer they multiply. Need to put something in their water? Bombing is not the answer and TBH I don't know what is. Bloody sick and tired of it all though.
    Moo Uaon and Ian Forbes like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I'm confused with use of "enjoy" ... Starbucks make the world's worst coffee, Macca's is actually better but their burgers are crap .... meanwhile Apple make a device which is great for everything but phone calls.
    All true. But none of these guys are trying to force me to buy their products by threatening my life. Although they probably would if they could. 555 And I'm not stupid enough to do what a clown on television tells me to.

No sir! I eat McDonald's cuz I can be stupid on my own!
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    .... meanwhile Apple make a device which is great for everything but phone calls.
    why would they cater to dinosaurs that hardly buy new things?
    who makes phone calls? 555

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    why would they cater to dinosaurs that hardly buy new things?
    who makes phone calls? 555
    I do. I have all the latest tools and gadgets.

Chob, Soupdragon and Bawdy like this.

One thing my dad told me when I was young... and it still applies today ...you realise you can only enjoy all these things if 90% of the world lives in relative poverty?

I'm surprised there aren't more wars from the anger of the suppressed... luckily most Indians and Chinese just seem to accept their lot..
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Just picked up my daughter from a new friend of hers...
    New kid in her school, and she could not tell me where she came from, thought Afghanistan or something, but said they spoke Hebrew..

Well, they came from Israel, but because of her confusion I had to ask...
    Had a chat with the mother of her friend.. Born and raised in Israel, but 2 years ago decided that she would not want her daughters to grow up in hate..
    So looked for work here and moved..

All of them had to go to Dutch language classes, where they had class with Somali's, Iraqis, Afghans and Palestinians..
    Asked her how that was, and she said "great..!", "first time we all sat in peace with Muslims from many countries and showed real interest in each-other.."

Now I am confused.. my biases and preconceptions did not work! 555
    Thank Buddha, Allah, Yahweh or common sense!
    Quarky and Chob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    New kid in her school, and she could not tell me where she came from, thought Afghanistan or something, but said they spoke Hebrew..

Had a chat with the mother of her friend.. Born and raised in Israel, but 2 years ago decided that she would not want her daughters to grow up in hate..

All of them had to go to Dutch language classes, where they had class with Somali's, Iraqis, Afghans and Palestinians..
    Asked her how that was, and she said "great..!", "first time we all sat in peace with Muslims from many countries and showed real interest in each-other.."

So presumably Jewish Israeli? Nice story... and good on her!

Is she cute?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

Is she cute?
    Would I be talking to her if she wasn't?
    I am not only a racist, but a sexist as well..555
    Quarky likes this.

Actually, it just makes sense. I would say that 95% of the population in the world just wants a simple happy life with their family, and enough work to provide the necessities. Unfortunately, the other 5% are screwed up in some way and want to dominate others. Most often it is men and what I call the male penis syndrome. These males want to show their dominance over others and will bully their way to get it. Very often it is sexual in nature and that is where you have priests that molest little boys. It is also in evidence where tribal leaders want a variety of wives to tend to their wants. Even Mohamed was that way with his many wives. That is why he stuck tents over them with little eye holes so they could see (burkas). He didn't want his generals to get any ideas of checking out his ladies. Then there are the various groups that cut the clitoris off young girls. It is strictly so the women will not stray from a male dominated society. And, because males are given priority in many societies, many women abort of kill their female babies. Twenty years down the road there are far more men than young women and some guys are going to do without. That causes further problems.

It is a messed up world caused by just a few men who want more than their share of everything.

You might like this book Ian. One that got away... a great read...

Infidel - Ayaan Hirsi Ali - Google Books

he brutal murder of the Dutch film-maker Theo van Gogh in 2004 shocked the world. Shot and mutilated by a Muslim fanatic as he cycled to work, it was a stark reminder of the dangers of challenging an extreme Islamic worldview. It also changed the life of Ayaan Hirsi Ali, van Gogh's collaborator on the film that had offended his murderer. Born in Somalia and raised a Muslim, she had escaped an arranged marriage and made a new life as a Dutch parliamentarian, championing the reform of Islam and its attitude to women's rights. She now has twenty-four-hour police protection, but refuses to let that inhibit her willingness to speak out.

THE INFIDEL is Ayaan Hirsi Ali's astonishing story. Recounting the extraordinary transition from a third-world upbringing to her current status as one of TIME magazine's 100 most influential people in the world, it is a truly remarkable autobiography that is as gripping as it is inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Actually, it just makes sense. I would say that 95% of the population in the world just wants a simple happy life with their family, and enough work to provide the necessities. Unfortunately, the other 5% are screwed up in some way and want to dominate others. Most often it is men and what I call the male penis syndrome. These males want to show their dominance over others and will bully their way to get it. Very often it is sexual in nature and that is where you have priests that molest little boys. It is also in evidence where tribal leaders want a variety of wives to tend to their wants. Even Mohamed was that way with his many wives. That is why he stuck tents over them with little eye holes so they could see (burkas). He didn't want his generals to get any ideas of checking out his ladies. Then there are the various groups that cut the clitoris off young girls. It is strictly so the women will not stray from a male dominated society. And, because males are given priority in many societies, many women abort of kill their female babies. Twenty years down the road there are far more men than young women and some guys are going to do without. That causes further problems.

It is a messed up world caused by just a few men who want more than their share of everything.
    Hmm... It was the bible that blamed the women for what Eva did (?), make Adam pick that apple and get humanity kicked out of the gardens of Eden..
    I prefer the Koran story, which says that men are weak and can not control their instincts... And for that reason urges (as I read it not forces) women to be careful with their beauty.. Men can not control themselves when exposed to it...

But you are right, it's the "extremists", in power, money or religion, that dominate the wish for peace and happiness of the large majority...

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    You might like this book Ian. One that got away... a great read...
    Thanks, DP, I will look for it. I suspect I will be in tears when reading it, though.

My younger sister is a fairly well known writer who has spent time all over the world. (Google - Leslie Forbes) For at least the last 10 years she has spent the bulk of her time helping abused women from Islamic countries readjust to a civilized world in England. The horror stories these women told her made me sick. Very often it was the authorities that the women went to for help that abused them.

Thanks, DP, I will look for it. I suspect I will be in tears when reading it, though.

My younger sister is a fairly well known writer who has spent time all over the world. (Google - Leslie Forbes) For at least the last 10 years she has spent the bulk of her time helping abused women from Islamic countries readjust to a civilized world in England. The horror stories these women told her made me sick. Very often it was the authorities that the women went to for help that abused them.
    Ayaan Hirsi Ali has got the story... But she flaunts it, and changes her standpoint for political reasons..

You can read the first 50 pages in that link if you want a good blub... ;-)

Was your sister born in England?

Leslie Forbes (Author of Bombay Ice)

Ayaan Hirsi Ali has got the story... But she flaunts it, and changes her standpoint for political reasons..
    I don't know her politically... but her book is an interesting read. Have you read it? She is one tough girl...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast