Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Hatari
  • 2 Post By Minder

Thread: Crime is Everywhere...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Crime is Everywhere...

Over on another thread, quite rightfully, people are outraged at the horrible killings of the two kids on Koh Tao..

I live in a very small place, a holiday area if you like.... Place swells to 5 times it's normal population around Christmas Time... People desert the cities and flock to the beach... There are other small towns like mine around the place as well.

All sounds lovely, right? Well, most times yes... But in the last 10 days within 30 minutes of here, we have had 2 murders, and one, maybe abduction of a 3 yo boy.

About 10 days ago, a young kid disappeared from his grandma;s front yard, 30 minutes from here.... They have searched and searched and found nothing... They even had us checking an area of the railway corridor... The dogs were bought in and could only find this young blokes scent, within the yard.... otherwise nothing.... looks a lot like someone has grabbed him.

Saturday night, two teenagers knifed a 25 yo man to death in the main street of Port Macquarie.. these two young blokes have since turned themselves in.

Last night, I was going to work, and the street I take to get to the station was blocked by cops... A bloke, 53 managed to stab one woman to death and injure another.

Not bashing, but a few days ago I read where someone killed 8 (?) in Florida.... And I haven't seen much outrage....

I write this, because I sometimes think, that people are of the opinion that Thailand is an inherently violent place.. I think most places have their fair share of violence, and Thailand, certainly does not have a mortgage on violence... we need to look in our own back yards sometimes.

Teenager charged with murder over fight stabbing in Port Macquarie - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Man charged with murder over double stabbing at Taree - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

William Tyrell: Search for missing 3yo boy scaled back; police to focus on information about unexplained disappearance - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Two adults, six children dead in Florida shooting: report | Reuters
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I think people get emotive when something like that happens in Thailand because there is a feeling that they don't care because it is a farang
    He'll, I don't know how much the police care of it is a Thai....to be honest
    So it makes us feel vulnerable

A Thai lady just got killed in Vancouver last week.
    My wife's boss and two other Thai ladies had car trouble and were in the breakdown lane and a drunk driver slammed into them.....killing the Thai lady
    There is the same amount of police work being done for her killing than if they killed a citizen
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 22nd September 2014 at 16:07.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    On the whole i find LOS to be a lot safer for me than where i lived in western Sydney.

Both places had areas/places where you just don't go alone or at all in the wee hours.

The thing about the incident on KT is it is somewhere that may be seen as an idyllic little tropical paradise but a place now with an exposed underbelly.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 22nd September 2014 at 16:15.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Moo I agree, I would rather take my chances in LOS than many parts of west Sydney these days.

Marc, what a terrible thing.
    i bet your wife and her boss are upset.

Dave I see and agree with what your pointing at, the only thing I would say is I don't think on the other thread, that we are going overboard about the murders, as horrible as they are, but more getting our nickers in a knot at the inept police force and how the investigation has been so poorly handled.
    I would also agree we probably wouldn't even have a thread going if it had been a young Thai couple murdered.

It seems terrible things seem to come in clusters in a local area. It seems Port and the mid coast are having their turn of terrible events.
    I was holding my breath about the young boy when they didn't find him in the first 24hrs, It seems he has been snatched. Someone must know something I hope they come forward. Don't want another Daniel Morcome incident.

On the US 8 killed, it seems, probably because of the size and population, that there is a mass killing almost monthly so I guess we have got use to it, a bit numbed by the regularity.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

don't know where the balance is.

Same day as news of the young Brits' deaths made a the news, another death, briefly, made a headline then faded away

The naked body of a man with his feet and hands bound was found washed up on a Phuket beach on Saturday morning.
    “The body was that of a dark-skinned Asian man, estimated to be about 30 years old. He had suffered head trauma and there were five stab wounds to his chest. His hands and feet were also tied up with a nylon rope”
    “We will continue our investigation into this crime and release information as and when it becomes available.”
    and that's it.

In July this year, local tv ran a story prompted by the fifth dead body to wash up on Chanthaburi beaches since April. None had at that time been identified; the last one was missing hands and head, but maybe fish to blame for that. Not even a newspaper headline.

Last month - August 28th, two decapitated/headless corpses found floating off Pattaya. An initial flurry of headlines in English language media and the other expat forums when they 'might be farang' but as soon as they were just Asians, nothing.

Earlier this year an employee of the company MsH works for died in a car accident - 4am he was a hydraulic mechanic going to a callout to repair a digger. I saw the thread on another forum, and posts that branded the deceased: chickenhead, a monkey halfwit, Idiot Thai driver, another useless f**king Thai driver, driving like an arsehole, couldn't flee the scene haha because they're dead, and so on. All based upon a hopelessly incorrect few lines in an English language newspaper - that it listed Rayong as being on the Cambodian border should have been a clue.

If it had been a drunken wife-beating expat whoremonger he'd immediately have become one of the best blokes ever, a veritable saint, while the next 1178 posts whinged about the conditions of Thai roads and other drivers that made him crash.

Expats can be so selective with their sympathies.
    PeteGill and supersub like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Comparison of such horrendous things is pointless. Even the smallest one is a terrible tragedy for those close to it.
    There are a lot of good people on Ko Tao and they will all unfortunately be tarred with the same brush now.
    No substitute, anywhere, for fine police work and community spirit.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    It seems that Thai's and Asians look at death much differently. No hint of outrage for them,just the old "life is cheap attitude" and "where's the gory bits"? i don' and never have understood fascination with that sort of thing...rubber neckers almost stopping at accident sites trying to get a peak of someones elses misfortune.

Had to look up Kendall where the 3 year old went missing in Oz. It's Near Kew.
    Got a 3 yr old myself and feel for the his family as they must be going through hell. Hope they find him and soon!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    I reckon in the West and particularly the judiciary needs a reality check and Governments of all persuasions have got to stop pandering to the delusional do gooders !

Young blokes stabbing another young bloke to death would have been almost unthinkable not so long ago !

Start letting people know if they do commit a heinous crime, like killing somebody with a knife in cold blood, then they're done.
    No multiple appeals, or stupid lawyers who don't really give a rats even though they know their client is guilty, but still defending the bastards for years.

Judgess who actually know what the real world looks like would also help. Not just those appointed due to their family name, or the school they attended !

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Had to look up Kendall where the 3 year old went missing in Oz. It's Near Kew.
    Got a 3 yr old myself and feel for the his family as they must be going through hell. Hope they find him and soon!
    Did you look at the area on street view?
    You could lose a bus load of 3 years olds for a week on one of those house blocks, let alone in the surrounding bush ....

Strange not to have found the body but scrub like that could swallow up a little fellow easy enough .... sad

I can understand why the Police seem to think lost rather than stolen though ...

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...0b4c2d!6m1!1e1
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    In the Surrey area near Vancouver BC a young woman was brutally raped and murdered by a recently released violent sex offender who had served his "time" in jail. He was considered a high risk to offend again but was released anyway. Canada is very lenient on criminals and let many go knowing full well they are going to offend again and again. Almost every case where they capture some criminal the guy has a record as long as your arm... and as the papers say..."Known to the police". It must be frustrating being a COP and going through the effort to capture these creeps only to have them released after a slap on the wrist.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    ....."Known to the police". It must be frustrating being a COP and going through the effort to capture these creeps only to have them released after a slap on the wrist.
    Time flies (as you probably know Ian.. 555) and it is nearly 20 years since I was a police sergeant in Victoria, Australia ... I hated working crime/general duties for exactly that reason ... the courts would treat you like a nuisance for wasting their time by charging some sh:t-pot with 5 counts of burglary and 10 of theft ... yeah, yeah, yeah, good behaviour bond extended for another 12 months ... don't do it again ... next case ....... hated it ... and I don't things have improved ....

As a cop you saw how crime was "everywhere" indeed ... there are countless crimes ... regarded as minor by everyone except the victim that never make the headlines or the News ... thefts, burglaries, assaults ... no doubt they are going on around me every day, here where I live now ... but I don't have to see them ... I enjoy my life of oblivion ... seeing them, knowing they are there and not being able to stop them ... that was a lousy feeling ...

Enjoy...
    Quarky and Moo Uaon like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

In the Surrey area near Vancouver BC a young woman was brutally raped and murdered by a recently released violent sex offender who had served his "time" in jail. He was considered a high risk to offend again but was released anyway. Canada is very lenient on criminals and let many go knowing full well they are going to offend again and again. Almost every case where they capture some criminal the guy has a record as long as your arm... and as the papers say..."Known to the police". It must be frustrating being a COP and going through the effort to capture these creeps only to have them released after a slap on the wrist.
    But the thing is, you speak to a Canadian and almost all of them are so frigging liberal and very soft on punishment
    I have debates with the guys I work with about how ridiculous it is how the govt allows all these bums to effect our lives in downtown Vancouver and all I get is excuses from them about how they are disadvantaged and such
    And that attitude will snowball up to harsher crimes

A lot of times, a govt takes it cue from the people
    In NYC/Boston you hardly see a bum these days.........because the citizens just won't put up with it, we complain and get things done in our favor
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 24th September 2014 at 01:05.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    But the thing is, you speak to a Canadian and almost all of them are so frigging liberal and very soft on punishment
    I have debates with the guys I work with about how ridiculous it is how the govt allows all these bums to effect our lives in downtown Vancouver and all I get is excuses from them about how they are disadvantaged and such
    And that attitude will snowball up to harsher crimes

A lot of times, a govt takes it cue from the people
    In NYC/Boston you hardly see a bum these days.........because the citizens just won't put up with it, we complain and get things done in our favor
    I think with this latest murder of an innocent woman there might be a surge away from the leniency in the past. At least I HOPE that will be the case. Most people understand the drug scene and the people who lose their lives because of it. Most of us are just ho-hum, so what else is new, when a drug dealer kills another drug dealer. That is an entirely different than when some innocent child gets murdered by a known sex offender.

I think with this latest murder of an innocent woman there might be a surge away from the leniency in the past. At least I HOPE that will be the case. Most people understand the drug scene and the people who lose their lives because of it. Most of us are just ho-hum, so what else is new, when a drug dealer kills another drug dealer. That is an entirely different than when some innocent child gets murdered by a known sex offender.
    My point is when you have a liberal stance on the minor things, it feeds into the larger attitude

True enough, Paul.