Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stillearly

Thread: How many malls in your town?

Cadet Gold

How many malls in your town?

Lately more and more shopping malls are opening in Kuala Lumpur and outside of town nearby suburbs.

Huge malls, 4-5 floors, shops all the same, restaurants all the same.

Any available land will be used to build shopping mall. Really getting too much IMO.

How many malls does a town need?

In KL i counted more than 10 malls, all nearby each other.

What we need are parks and better drainage.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Not so much malls but on a similar note is that in Vancouver only these huge retail companies can afford the rent.

Back out on the East Coast there has been a wave of new outdoor shopping plazas with 4 or 5 restaurants along with clothing stores
    I really like them

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Lately more and more shopping malls are opening in Kuala Lumpur and outside of town nearby suburbs.

Huge malls, 4-5 floors, shops all the same, restaurants all the same.

Any available land will be used to build shopping mall. Really getting too much IMO.

How many malls does a town need?

In KL i counted more than 10 malls, all nearby each other.

What we need are parks and better drainage.
    Probably some shady corruption going on with this rampant building. Maybe the General is involved? Will be interesting to see how they do. Are the big malls in Phuket doing well? Any closed stores?
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Not so many malls these days, but a lot of rucks. For some reason malls are few and far between in the UK. Over a million people live within half an hour of me at the moment... and there is only one scabby mall that I know of...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    None

Quarky likes this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Last trip to Chiang Mai I noticed alot of new shopping centres, all seem to house the same kind of shops to me.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

I noted that the new type of retail center in outdoor retail shops with restaurants.

Now thinking about it.....I'd be surprised if I saw an indoor mall built instead of the outdoor style these days.....

Still none in my home town.

Too many, and more coming, where I am now.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    In my township of Duncan on Vancouver Island we have two big malls with scattered shops and department stores. But, they are all on one level. There are a couple of other mini-malls of half a dozens shops. The city of Victoria at the south end of Vancouver Island is about the size of Chiang Mai. It has a dozen major malls in outlying parts of the city, but only the downtown core has multi-level department stores. Further north to the city of Nanaimo there are half a dozen big malls but mostly buildings on one floor. I haven't seen any like the three big malls in Chiang Mai with 5 or 6 floors of tiny shops. In western Canada we are more wasteful of our land and tend to spread things out on one level.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    There's 2 in the town I live in. More in the city but nowhere near how many they have in Thailand.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Ha ! just read a interesting article about the decline of malls in the US .... BBC - Culture - The death of the US shopping mall

In the mid-1990s, US malls were being built at a rate of 140 a year. The brakes went on in 2007, the first year in half-a-century that no new malls were built in America: recession had bitten deep into the US economy. Now, malls began to close, although some had become unpopular for reasons other than purely economic ones.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Ha ! just read a interesting article about the decline of malls in the US .... BBC - Culture - The death of the US shopping mall

In the mid-1990s, US malls were being built at a rate of 140 a year. The brakes went on in 2007, the first year in half-a-century that no new malls were built in America: recession had bitten deep into the US economy. Now, malls began to close, although some had become unpopular for reasons other than purely economic ones.
    Yup.........as I said above, the new trend are nice outdoor shopping centers and they are real nice

Much more nicer dining options plus usually a nice grocery store

MarketStreet Lynnfield :: 600 Market St., Lynnfield, MA. 01940 :: 781.484.5400 near my place in Boston

The Village at Park Royal | Park Royal this is a perfect example in Vancouver. They had a big mall then built the outdoor center across the street and no one goes to the mall anymore

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Yup.........as I said above, the new trend are nice outdoor shopping centers and they are real nice

Much more nicer dining options plus usually a nice grocery store

MarketStreet Lynnfield :: 600 Market St., Lynnfield, MA. 01940 :: 781.484.5400 near my place in Boston

The Village at Park Royal | Park Royal this is a perfect example in Vancouver. They had a big mall then built the outdoor center across the street and no one goes to the mall anymore
    I prefer outdoor shopping.... though when its below zero... it loses its appeal... 55

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I prefer outdoor shopping.... though when its below zero... it loses its appeal... 55
    Really? I like it
    Hate being hot in stores...........gives you some air walking from store to store

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Really? I like it
    Hate being hot in stores...........gives you some air walking from store to store
    What about when its raining, cold and windy... 55

Otherwise, I do prefer the outdoors... Leeds has a great outdoor oriented town centre..

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    What about when its raining, cold and windy... 55

Otherwise, I do prefer the outdoors... Leeds has a great outdoor oriented town centre..
    In Canada the shoppers just drive round and round until they can find a place to park close to the shop they want to enter. They seldom will walk more than 100 feet to any store... and even that is too far for many. Canadians have some sort of physical attraction to their vehicles. We have guys and gals who drive huge, gas guzzling Hummers that have never been off road once. We call them MAVs... short for Mall Assault Vehicles.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    In London we call them Chelsea Tractors. Huge 4x4 bmw or Range Rover. Only use they get dropping off their kids to school. London has narrow streets too. Nightmare.

I have a 4wd truck, but I use it to haul my camper and go places that a 2wd vehicle can't get to.