• 3 Post By RakThai
  • 2 Post By Minder
  • 1 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 1 Post By bacwaan

Thread: Didn't know that, did you

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Didn't know that, did you

What is the hardest language to learn?

1.Extremely Hard: The hardest language to learn is: Polish – Seven cases, Seven genders and very difficult pronunciation. The average English speaker is fluent in their language at the age of 12, in contrast, the average Polish speaker is fluent in their language after age of 16.

2.Very Hard: Finnish, Hungarian, and Estonian – The Ugric languages are hard because of the countless noun cases. However, the cases are more like English prepositions added to the end of the root word. However, anyone arguing Asian languages like Korean trump Uralic languages in complexity, really needs to hit the books and do more research.

3.Simply Arduous: Ukrainian and Russian – Second language learners wrongly assume because these languages use a different script (Cyrillic) that it out ranks Polish. This is not objective, as an alphabet is only lets say 26 letters. It is really the pronunciation and how societies use the language that influences ranking. Ukrainian and Russian complex grammar and different alphabet, but easier pronunciation. (the Poles use a modified Latin alphabet which does not have a neat orthography fit to the sounds of their language). Slavic languages have sophisticated case and gender systems, also something that approximates a complex tense system with aspects of time-verb relationships.

4.Challenging contender jockey for position: Arabic - Three baby cases which are like a walk in the park compared to the above, but the unusual pronunciation and flow of the language makes study laborious and requires cognitive diligence if you want to speak it.

5.Fairly Hard: Chinese and Japanese - No cases, no genders, no tenses, no verb changes, short words, very easy grammar, however, writing is hard. But to speak it is very easy. Also intonations make it harder, but certainly not harder than Polish pronunciation. I know a Chinese language teacher in NYC that has even authored an the authoritative book on modern Mandarin says people pick up Chinese very easy. This same teacher, if multilingual yet could not learn Polish. I am learning some Chinese, it is not the hardest language maybe even one of the easiest language to learn. Despite prideful proclamations of armchair linguists, to verbalizes Asian languages in general are not top ranked by any measure. Try to learn some Chinese and Polish your self and you will see which is the hardest language.

6.Average: French - lots of tenses, but not used and moderate grammar. German-only four cases and like five exceptions, everything is logical, of course.

7.Easy: Spanish and Italian - People I know pick these up no problem, even accountants and technical people rather than humanistic language people.

8.Basic to hard: English, no cases or gender, you hear it everywhere, spelling can be hard and British tenses you can use the simple and continues tense instead of the perfect tenses and you will speak American English. English at the basic level is easy but to speak it like a native it’s hard because of the dynamic idiomatic nature.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    How do people come to these conclusions? By learning all of them? Both of us (Dao) are now learning mandarin. Bloody hard work.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    It's all relative. This says it's easy to learn to speak Chinese. I've tried and I beg to differ. I have trouble with Asian tonal languages. Very hard to learn. Sure, you can memories it al and attemp at speaking, but what are you actually saying to them? 55
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    How do people come to these conclusions? By learning all of them? Both of us (Dao) are now learning mandarin. Bloody hard work.
    I can't verify any of that. I'm just reposting what an intellegent friend (with a good sense of humour) sent me.

I was told by a young Canadian woman that Korea has two basic languages, of which one is fairly simple that everyone in Korea understands. And, it is much easier for westerners to learn.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    All languages are easy! Local three year old's can speak them...
    Ian Forbes, Bacon and pinecone like this.

Cadet Gold
    Mandarin easy? No freaking way, in China there are many versions of the ONE word.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Mandarin easy? No freaking way, in China there are many versions of the ONE word.
    Stares and stairs.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Stares and stairs.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    ^ The old English example : Rose Rose to pick up the Rose ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    She sells seashells by the seashore.
    The shells she sells are surely seashells.
    So if she sells shells on the seashore,
    I'm sure she sells seashore shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Take the phrase mai mai mai mai mai, .... now .add the Thai tones: mai (high tone), mai (low tone), mai (falling tone) mai (falling tone, longer vowel), mai (rising tone). The Thai meaning of which is ‘new wood doesn’t burn, does it?’.

(Farang runs screaming from classroom)
    justcruzing1 and pinecone like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post

(Farang runs screaming from classroom)
    That one is a classic, Minder, and I like your addition... "Farang runs screaming from classroom"

Add into the mix a slight loss of hearing, a fading memory, and a bit of dyslexia, and there are good reasons for not returning to classroom.
    Minder likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Spanish is the easiest language to learn.....I think.

Going to many Japanese places here in Vancouver...... Japanese actually seems it would be the easiest Asian language to learn

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

Going to many Japanese places here in Vancouver...... Japanese actually seems it would be the easiest Asian language to learn
    that's becuase they are actually speaking english only with a Japanese accent Paulie.....555

hai...kinichi wah....ching chong cha....itsi bitsi morrie moto...hai

Quarky likes this.

She nailed it. I'm not quite as good, but I can imitate a few languages and even sound legit. 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    I feel bad... I laughed my ass off watching that clip 55555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    My gf can speak six languages, my youngest son can pick up any musical instrument and make music in no time.

It's hard not to hate them...55

Newby
    I agree. Italian, Spanish and French are the easiest for me mainly because of the resemblance of the alphabet to the English one. Headaches I know for complex languages. Could be learned but it's quite an adventure.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    my youngest son can pick up any musical instrument and make music in no time.

It's hard not to hate them...55
    Slam it seems to skip every second generation.
    My Grandfather, a fisherman, uneducated (no schooling except at home) sat down at a piano one night and just started playing.
    Couldn't read music but if you could hum a few bars of a song he could pick it up and play it.

I missed out...tone deaf but can bash a drum 55555

My eldest son is a natural with a guitar and has written his own music, also can manage to get the hang of any instrument in 1/2 hour.

i know what you mean about hard not to hate them .. mumble grumble %))4''' 555555
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Spoke to one my fav BG's from many years ago recently.Regular visitor to Moo Manor on Phuket and me her bar in Soi Lion and later Soi Easy

She spoke hardly any English when i knew her but was now speaking it well and with a French accent...'sacre bleu' 'we' 'we'.

She was as hot as any TG i've seen here....top sort and a good root.
    Married and living in Europe with a young infant and another on the way now 55
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS