Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Hotel Info

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar

Hotel Info

Not sure if there's a thread for this, or a better place to post, but I used the search engine and didn't find anything.

My query is about booking with sites like Agoda. When you get on there is says book now, pay later, but when I go through the steps it asks for credit card details. The last time I booked, I thought they just wanted my details on file for later, so I filled it all out, but when I hit submit I got charged.

How does this work? Or maybe the hotel I've chosen just doesn't have that option?
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    From memory agoda is pay prior.
    Booking.com is pay direct to hotel on arrival.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star TMTBOUND's Avatar
    I know I book through Agoda and some have the pay later option and others do not. Some also allow cancellations with a15$ fee while others require a first night charge or the entire stay as a penalty. I think they all fall under booking conditions. I have never had an issue getting a refund when working with agoda. I have only used two reservations and cancelled 5.

Oh I see. There's a pay later option for some of them. But you still put in your details in case of cancellation.

Thanks.

We can keep this around as a hotel thread.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Yes Agoda also offers the book now pay option. You need to enter your card details which will then be charged on the listed payment date. Varies between hotels as does the cancellation policy as mentioned above. I find it's quite useful if you want to book a 'placeholder' for somewhere but may potentially want to cancel it later before paying for it. I generally only use Agoda for hotels in Thailand now.

I've also noticed that some hotels will offer you a reduced upgrade at point of payment for a few hundred bhat (only seen this in instances where I paid up front). I've gone back and checked how much it would have been to book that room and it was often a lot higher.

I did get a decent upgrade on the pay later option. For about 5 USD a day. Don't have to pay till about 2 weeks prior to checking in. I've been a member though and have a good past history with Agoda. I think they've got a reward program.

My first choice was August suites, but they didn't have the pay later option. So I'm keeping Areca Lodge in Patts on the back burner while I decide what I want to do in April. It was their last room as well. Not bad to have the option for 15 bucks.

I used to stay at Areca Lodge, but these days prefer Intimate, Sea Me Spring (1 and 2) and PBR as my bailout options...

I like the Agoda pay later options that pop up... have used this quite a bit and cancelled later when found better offers...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    with BOOKING.COM , you can cancel or amend with no fee , used it this week to amend my booking with the Mercure to five days from nine , the hotel asked for half when i checked in , but most places seem happy to wait for payment until you check out

I use Booking.com as well. Often find hotels still have rooms available on booking.com and not on Agoda.... or vice versa...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I use Booking.com as well. Often find hotels still have rooms available on booking.com and not on Agoda.... or vice versa...
    Yeah I've found this also.

I always check the hotels website as well. Sometimes they have promos that are quite good.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Hotel Deals - DirectRooms

Puts Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia and the like altogether.... you can choose who has the best deal on a given day
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Always best to check hotel prices from THEIR website to get a true price. Oftentimes, some of these sites will show some inflated price with a red slash through it, then give a price that is more competitive with the real price. Not pointing a fingers, but these sites are sometimes MORE than the hotel charges. That's what I've heard anyway. 55555
    I hate being bipolar. It's awesome!

^ good point always best to compare. I used to always contact the hotel directly even if Booking/Agoda etc were cheaper to give them a chance to match the rate directly , but they seldom would , seems a strange practice to me as they are also paying the site a commission I would guess ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Always best to check hotel prices from THEIR website to get a true price. Oftentimes, some of these sites will show some inflated price with a red slash through it, then give a price that is more competitive with the real price. Not pointing a fingers, but these sites are sometimes MORE than the hotel charges. That's what I've heard anyway. 55555
    i had something similar happen with agoda recently.
    after a few calls to their call centre telling them that i wouldn't use them again and some info from the hotel's site they agreed that they had over charged me by 300baht/night (300 more than the hotel was advertising) and refunded the amount in full...5 nights X 300 baht
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Absolutely, that's why I seldom use these sites themselves to find deals.

When it comes to hotels though, the main thing for me is comfort and location, and every place I've stayed has been due to word of mouth.

I just compared prices on the hotel's own website, and in this case it came up $10 more than what Agoda charged me. Which is nothing, and there are probably long term benefits to booking with multiple hotels in multiple cities and countries through one central agency with a reward program. That's why I sometimes refrain from flying with a different airline when I find a cheaper ticket just to save 100 bucks. The long term benefits pay off more in the future. Not exactly sure what they are though in this case. 555
    Last edited by Bacon; 6th January 2015 at 20:51.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Agoda has a lowest price guarantee.... challenge them and they pay up. Done it before. No problems.
    Minder and Moo Uaon like this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Trivago is another good site that compares all the others Booking/Agoda etc , the only think to remember its not always a level playing field , Agoda have add ons when you get to the payment area
    dave01 likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    ^ good point always best to compare. I used to always contact the hotel directly even if Booking/Agoda etc were cheaper to give them a chance to match the rate directly , but they seldom would , seems a strange practice to me as they are also paying the site a commission I would guess ...
    I had the most stupid thing happen. I wanted a room for a night in Brookvale, Sydney. I looked on the wotif site and the rate was $91
    I didn't book and turned up at reception, they wanted $135..I said hey, its on Whatif for $91 can't you meet it? it saves you a commission as well??...NO!

So I went down the road to an internet cafe and booked on Whatif, cost me $1.50 with the printout. Went back to the same stupid b1tch and presented the booking form and had the room $91....How stupid is it???
    Stillearly and billpay like this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    I had the most stupid thing happen. I wanted a room for a night in Brookvale, Sydney. I looked on the wotif site and the rate was $91
    I didn't book and turned up at reception, they wanted $135..I said hey, its on Whatif for $91 can't you meet it? it saves you a commission as well??...NO!

So I went down the road to an internet cafe and booked on Whatif, cost me $1.50 with the printout. Went back to the same stupid b1tch and presented the booking form and had the room $91....How stupid is it???
    Ive done the same in BKK.
    Citrus 22 - which has now closed

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    What I have found is that a hotel will either have the same price or even slightly cheaper but only if you prepay.
    Pretty much is the case in every hotel I have looked at in Thailand
    I always look at Booking.com and then the hotels own website to compare prices
    And for the same price or 10 more the best option is to book with booking.com where I have the flexibility of cancelling my reservation

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast