Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By justcruzing1

Thread: Fundrasing , need some new ideas

Fundrasing , need some new ideas

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I'm on the Board of a charity that helps disabled people, primarily mentally disabled but also physically disabled. We have recently changed our direction. We used to administer government contracts to care for people, but it was very political. We realized we have enough in the bank to be self sufficient, so we dropped out government contracts.

Now we act solely as an advocate for disabled people and we have all the income we need to do that.

One of our goals is to raise $400,000 a year to buy land and build a home for a young person that is so disabled they will never be able to work. Their families need help ensuring the long term care of their kids are provided for. We've done this for a few people already. The way we do it, we retain the ownership of the home, but the person has the right to live in it all their life. Then, when they don't need it anymore, we can give it to someone else to live in.

The problem is, we only raise $300,000 a year, mainly through a golf tournament and a gala dinner. We have lots of people in the community that provide things for auctions and they make very generous donations.

We want to move our fundraising from the 300 level to the 400 level so we can build a home each year. We are struggling finding ideas on what to do.

If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate hearing it. It has to be "an event", not something that would require work all year. We have a very small staff, but they have the time to organize another large event in the year.

Any and all comments and thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by lakeboy; 3rd February 2015 at 14:13.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    By far the easiest way to raise funding for a charity like that is to find sponsors..

I would look at the bigger local companies that depend on government contracts or sub-contractors to large multi-nationals (oil, gas, etc.).

Corporate world is all about "corporate social responsibility" and the demand the same from their sub-contractors.. And a small local charity that definitely ticks the box "people" will help them get contracts.. So they see it as an investment rather that give money away..

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    By far the easiest way to raise funding for a charity like that is to find sponsors..

I would look at the bigger local companies that depend on government contracts or sub-contractors to large multi-nationals (oil, gas, etc.).

Corporate world is all about "corporate social responsibility" and the demand the same from their sub-contractors.. And a small local charity that definitely ticks the box "people" will help them get contracts.. So they see it as an investment rather that give money away..
    Hmmm, that is a good thought. We live in a small community, not a lot of big companies. But getting companies to sponsor the building of the homes....a lumber company for the wood, etc. That is a very good idea!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Our local hospice runs a annual 1 million lottery ( permission required ) , 6000 tickets priced at 300 each , they have ten prizes , which totals 1.3m and they raise 500,000 for the charity , maybe you could do similar

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Our local hospice runs a annual 1 million lottery ( permission required ) , 6000 tickets priced at 300 each , they have ten prizes , which totals 1.3m and they raise 500,000 for the charity , maybe you could do similar
    That is a possibility for us, we have similar lotteries here in Canada. One local lottery did that and it just about wiped them out, they just couldn't sell enough tickets. There is some risk to that. If we could tie it in to our goals, maybe we could reduce the risk.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    The way I would look at is setting up with a land developer and a building Co to do an at cost house.Then have an auction to sell off that house and use the profits to fund the special needs home, once again building it on the same estate and with the same builder.

All through the process you get local media coverage for you, the land developer and the builder.

The builder can aproach his suppliers for contributions, the construction site can carry add banners for all and it becomes a display home open for inspection while the Auction program is on. All people inspecting it fill out a registration and the information is handed on to the land developer and the builder to do followup marketing on.

Benefit to the land developer - 2 blocks of land gone, more building activity on the estate creates more interest and sales inquiry.
    Free publicity created by you thru local media coverage.
    A list of contacts of people showing an interest in a new home.
    They get to claim the helping humanity, good Samaritan sort of thing.

Benefit to the Builder.- keep his trades going, has 2 houses to build, keeps his buying power up, also puts his name on more product, makes people driving around see his name more so think he must be a good builder.
    He gets to claim the good Samaritan side also.
    He gets a free display home for a month or so, gets a data base of possible clients that have inspected his work etc.
    Get free publicity on local media by your working it.

You only need to do one a year and you should get your extra 100k if it is sold at retail.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I like JC idea. Think big,

A charity auction is always a winner if you have a fun auctioneer. Have a dinner at a pub or restaurant and auction products that are donated by locals and local business. Buying at a charity auction is a tax deduction as it could be invoices as a donation to the charity.

Was at a auction once and they auctioned $5,000 cash. They got about $8,000 for it. Business donates the 8k owner keeps the 5k. 555

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Yep great idea JC .... and dont forget to call the local TV station, Newspapers etc ..... get a angle on the story ( first time something like this has ever being done ) so they start to build the story and the house being built for auction has more following, and get them out auction day, as well as the day the key is handed over to the disabled home owner ... the more media attention the better for everyone contributing, not to mention more people showing up on auction day !!

This will also make it easier to get help when you do it again the following year ....
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Yes Sydney and the thing about this is it doesn't need a function and all the people needed to organize, the Agent will handle the Auction, the builder will do the build, all your going to do is get the media onside.

The other thing you need to do, is get a list of suppliers from the builder, even main subbies as well, and do the hard work of approaching them for freebee's so it doesn't come back on the builder to do it. Builders are lousy salesman and hate asking for free stuff.

Prearm yourself with the free press exposure your going to get, work out banners and signage they can put up, before you go to make the pitch to them.
    Harp on the good exposure of their helping the handicapped etc.

Get the land developer to sell you the 1st block at cost, then the 2md at retail, that way they can advertise they are giving a clock for no profit etc. Also point out that you will have signage leading into the estate and the house so more traffic though the estate looking for "The House".

All parties can have it on their web site, showing who has contributed, with links to their own sites these can be on your own site, the builders site, the land site and any of the suppliers can have a link on their site back to yours.

6 yrs ago I was asked to a Rotary club meeting, they were wanting me to join. At the meeting they were having a how to raise funds discussion. So I gave them the above idea and although i didn't join (personal reason) they eventually did run with it and I think they have done 3 or 4 of them. Profits have varied depending on the property market each time, but they have done well and never just broke even.

If you do it right and get the press behind you, your own website will get lots of hits and if you have a donate facility you shoud see an increase in donations as well. The house is a vessel to get the press coverage that then gets your site hit on.

Lots of good ideas here, thanks guys. We do have a builder we work with. He works on getting us deals from suppliers and basically charges us his costs plus a little bit for his admin expenses. He doesn't really earn any profit for the time he puts in. We also have a really good auctioneer that does our golf dinner. We auction off gifts donated by the local businesses. That raises about $100,000 a year for us. At our gala dinner we auction off art work and wine, all donated again by local people. That's been generating close to $100,000 a year. Both of those functions are really well attended, we usually sell them out.

The tough thing about a charity like this is the need is always greater than the resources. We've just taken on a new client. She's 29 years old. When she was 22 and in the last year of her nursing degree she was in a serious car accident. She suffered a brain injury and it takes her about 15 minutes to walk 30 feet. Her family is struggling to look after her, her parents are getting worn out. So, we took her case on, we're going to try and help them.

This is my 1st personal involvement with one of our clients, her mom works in our office. I saw the mom walking with her, then talked to the mom the next day. When I found out what was going on, I knew she needed help so I got her to meet our executive director. I'm stepping out of the box, I usually just look at the numbers 55. Maybe I'll learn a little about what we can do.

OK Lake, I would advise your operation to change from Houses and build Duplex's or Triplex's.for your clients. They don't need big yards.
    This reduces the land cost per unit. more for the building.

It's good you have a builder on side. But consider what I said about doing a spec home with a land developer and your builder, get the media onside and make a profit.

What your already doing is profitable and you have it under control.

You have you annual clients and donator's so you have to look at a different data base.

People saving for a home, be it first or second, don't go to a Golf day and spend thousands on bids. They will however visit a potential house and if it's in their price and desire they will bid at an auction..

I have already spelt it out above, so won't again.

The only other idea I have but it would need several a year, is a guided tour holiday. You know the type I mean maybe down the Rhine river?? and you get a fee from the company. maybe a glacia attack??? or a Down Under experience ??? 5555

Hey Lakeboy, any advance happening on this topic??

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Hey Lakeboy, any advance happening on this topic??
    Yeah actually there has been. We made a pretty big decision. Originally we were thinking how can we raise our fundraising goal from $300,000 a year to $400,000 a year. After much discussion and debate we've decided to leave the $300,000 that we currently raise alone. Now we are going to try a different campaign to raise an additional $400,000 a year. So our target has moved from $400,000 to $700,000.

With the golf dinner and art gala that we do, that raises the $300,000, we realized we're kind of tapping out our small community. To raise more money, we need to expand the community. So, we're going to try a social media campaign. We're going to take the client I mentioned earlier. We're going to produce a video of her life story. The company I work for has a video production department. They have agreed to produce this for us at no charge. The family has agreed to let their story be told. My middle daughter has done volunteer work with two organizations, using social media to raise funds. So...we are going to try and put all of that together and see if we can raise the funds to build this girl a home.

The movement to have people like this live in their own homes, vs condos, group homes, etc. actually originated in Australia. An organization there had the vision to try this and it was so successful the movement has been spreading around the world. It seems to be the best way for people with disabilities to feel they are part of a community. Our organization is I think the 1st in BC to do this, but we learned about it from Australia. Some smart people there it seems!

Good to hear, I agree you have tapped what funds are available in your community so need to go outside it.

Try major corporations with your sponsorship drive for the girl. Phone companies, Power Gas, Google, ebay??? any that have annual charity budgets, you need to find out when they get their money allocation to given and be on their door that day so to speak.

Do you get any Gov. donations?? Dept. of disability?? Dept. of housing?? etc. Hassel your MP for support.

Just another item for you to consider to auction at your events....Signage on your cars.yours and other committee members, 3, 6 or 12 months paid for by a business, they pay for the signs, could be magnetic attached or sticker signs.