Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Nomad
  • 1 Post By supersub

Thread: Anyone keep fish?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Anyone keep fish?

I love tropical fish, and have kept them on and off for years, since I was a kid... So, I was wondering if anyone on this forum keeps them in Thailand.... And how you go about it... It is my intention to get right into them again once I move over...

I would guess that a heater would be required in the north thru the cooler months, but what about down south? Say Phuket, or Samui or the like.. I would think they would be ok without one?
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    We have a heap of large Koi but gave up on the tropical tank with cichlids.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I love tropical fish, and have kept them on and off for years, since I was a kid... So, I was wondering if anyone on this forum keeps them in Thailand.... And how you go about it... It is my intention to get right into them again once I move over...

I would guess that a heater would be required in the north thru the cooler months, but what about down south? Say Phuket, or Samui or the like.. I would think they would be ok without one?
    Just don't leave them with a hungry TG or TFamily! 555
    dave01 and Cuzzy like this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Won a goldfish at a local funfair. Ended up buying a bunch from the local fish centre, to keep goldy company. I didn't do my research though and some of them ended up dying due to the water not being clean. :-( Gave the rest to someone else who had kept them for a long time. I've always wanted tropical fish but I don't have the time to maintain the tank ect.

A restaurant near my work has a tank full of pirahnas.
    Cuzzy likes this.

Cadet silver
    I didn't do my research though and some of them ended up dying due to the water not being clean
    I had a go at keeping a couple of cool water fancy goldfish last year. Never kept them before but love watching them. Anyway, I set up the tank following the instructions, treated the water before adding the fish etc. I had 2x small fish in a 22ltr tank. I changed 20% of the water once a week as instructed. They were fed on standard gold fish flake. The fish seemed happy until one died after about 5 weeks in the tank. The second fish lasted another week or two after the first died.

I was disheartened and packed the tank away for a while but after Christmas I decided to give it another go. This time I cycled the water for longer before adding only one fish. This time the fish didn't even last a fortnight. I have no idea what I did wrong?

To be honest the goldfish were intended to be my "practice" fish as I really wanted to start a tropical tank, but now even though I'd love to have tropical fish I don't want to end up kill any more.

Anyone got an idea of what I did wrong?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Won a goldfish at a local funfair. Ended up buying a bunch from the local fish centre, to keep goldy company. I didn't do my research though and some of them ended up dying due to the water not being clean. :-( Gave the rest to someone else who had kept them for a long time. I've always wanted tropical fish but I don't have the time to maintain the tank ect.

A restaurant near my work has a tank full of pirahnas.
    555 if you stick your hand in for 2 minutes you get a free meal ???
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    We have a heap of large Koi but gave up on the tropical tank with cichlids.
    Used to have cichlids many years back. Had a breeding pair and was fun but complex. When they were breeding the change in their colours was quite amazing.

Bought an small Oscar one day.... bloody thing ate everything else 555. Used to feed it mince and it grew to about 300mm long. Sold it to someone for $200 if I remember correctly.

I would like to keep these fish but can't get a tank big enough 555.

Flounder.jpg
    Last edited by Cuzzy; 16th February 2015 at 06:08.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzy View Post
    555 if you stick your hand in for 2 minutes you get a free meal ???

No but was tempted to throw a bit of meat into the tank during the lunch. 555

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    I had a go at keeping a couple of cool water fancy goldfish last year. Never kept them before but love watching them. Anyway, I set up the tank following the instructions, treated the water before adding the fish etc. I had 2x small fish in a 22ltr tank. I changed 20% of the water once a week as instructed. They were fed on standard gold fish flake. The fish seemed happy until one died after about 5 weeks in the tank. The second fish lasted another week or two after the first died.

I was disheartened and packed the tank away for a while but after Christmas I decided to give it another go. This time I cycled the water for longer before adding only one fish. This time the fish didn't even last a fortnight. I have no idea what I did wrong?

To be honest the goldfish were intended to be my "practice" fish as I really wanted to start a tropical tank, but now even though I'd love to have tropical fish I don't want to end up kill any more.

Anyone got an idea of what I did wrong?

Maybe take a sample of the water to get it tested. I remember doing the same and the guy said the water was so toxic he was surprised all my fish weren't dead. There were still 3 alive by that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Back in the P.I. days Denver was always on about his guppies, perhaps you could have a chat with him when you next visit Phuket. Assuming he is still around the area. Chob and Baz should know.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ he's in Myanmar these days.

i had an outside fish pond up here in CM but some big bird use to come around and pinch them
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ he's in Myanmar these days.

i had an outside fish pond up here in CM but some big bird use to come around and pinch them
    We have that issue here.
    Surrounded by a couple of large natural/man made lakes.
    Always good fun to wet a line.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I found this video... I think it is located not, in the main body of the market, but somewhere very close by... Anyone got any idea?

Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.