Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: What makes Thailand relatively Cheap to retire and holiday.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar

What makes Thailand relatively Cheap to retire and holiday.

The title is a simple question? The answer is very complex therefore I put it forward.

The attraction .........the initial attraction scenario....there for a holiday.... Great place my coin goes further ?????????

"Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    my attraction was simple...my mission statement was to retire early and live somewhere that felt like I was on holiday for the rest of my life...and for a large part that has been achieved...well as much as i wanted it to as the mission statement changed once I was living here and realised I needed to add a little work (design) into the mix to stave off boredom...pretty happy with that mix now

A large part of my ideal life was living somewhere I could swim in the sea every day...and since I already loved Phuket after holidaying there for 20+ years and knew many locals already living there that was where I started out...my initial idea was to come over to Samui during Phuket's wet season as I was going a little stir crazy with the long periods (up to a week at a time) where it was no fun outdoors...add the wind into the mix and i found i couldn't swim in the sea for large chunks of time...so I headed off to Samui which I knew quite well..intending to stay for Phuket's wet season...and that was almost 3 years ago now and I have never really looked back

Money wasn't really a (relative) factor for me...I wanted the fun/beach/laid back/island vibe lifestyle and to a very large part I have that here...apart from the jokes on the board I don't hit the bars so much any more....mostly only when people are in town now...I have just had 4 weeks off drinking for no real reason other than no one has been about to lead me astray and the Xmas/NY thing went well into Jan...

so very happy atm but I do wonder at times what the next chapter might entail
    PeteGill, Rivo, jontymate and 1 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    The positives or what makes it attractive:

-The difference of Asia............no matter where I've been Asia is always so much different than anywhere else
    -Cheapness of domestic and neighboring country flights
    -Cheapness of casual entertainment(dinner, bar, drinks, movies for sure)

But it depends on what type of lifestyle you want to live, when it comes to costs.

We had this discussion recently but if I wanted to maintain my lifestyle I have now, Thailand is not any cheaper than Vancouver and probably more expensive than NYC/Boston
    Nice dinners are more expensive
    Like for like housing is more expensive if you compare build quality and amenities
    Higher end grocery shopping is more expensive

So it really does depend on what type of retirement you want. If you want to "downgrade" as Nels has down happily and most can do happily, than it is cheaper but if you want to maintain a similar lifestyle of have a certain standard of retirement it could be more expensive
    A guy I work with has a 3 bedroom, 3k sq ft villa in Hawaii, build quality as good as it gets. Front row ocean views in one of the most desirable locations and he got it for 1.3mil usd.............I don't think you are getting that same place in Thailand for less than 2mil usd
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 21st February 2015 at 00:10.

^So it's easier to live a lower standard of living in Thailand? Though it doesn't feel like a lower standard once living it... because you realise you just need less when living there. For a start... no big heating bills... no winter clothes needed. No winter shoes. Less food, cause you eat less when warm...
    Chob and TMTBOUND like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    my attraction was simple...my mission statement was to retire early and live somewhere that felt like I was on holiday for the rest of my life...and for a large part that has been achieved...well as much as i wanted it to as the mission statement changed once I was living here and realised I needed to add a little work (design) into the mix to stave off boredom...pretty happy with that mix now

A large part of my ideal life was living somewhere I could swim in the sea every day...and since I already loved Phuket after holidaying there for 20+ years and knew many locals already living there that was where I started out...my initial idea was to come over to Samui during Phuket's wet season as I was going a little stir crazy with the long periods (up to a week at a time) where it was no fun outdoors...add the wind into the mix and i found i couldn't swim in the sea for large chunks of time...so I headed off to Samui which I knew quite well..intending to stay for Phuket's wet season...and that was almost 3 years ago now and I have never really looked back

Money wasn't really a (relative) factor for me...I wanted the fun/beach/laid back/island vibe lifestyle and to a very large part I have that here...apart from the jokes on the board I don't hit the bars so much any more....mostly only when people are in town now...I have just had 4 weeks off drinking for no real reason other than no one has been about to lead me astray and the Xmas/NY thing went well into Jan...

so very happy atm but I do wonder at times what the next chapter might entail
    I like that you have identified the boredom factor and did not have to stay 'safe' in the expat community. Slightly different and a mrs in toe for me to consider.

Do you think that you could have achieved the same feeling seeing money was not a factor in Australia? Is it more a total change / cut off from working life even though you have found the happy medium for you.

Realistically though to help me understand. Scale of 1 to 10 Your weighted consideration to how much your dollar was going further in LOS as a consideration.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ there's always a boredom factor here,maybe even more so for retirees back home? i know i wouldn't be bike riding,exploring and playing anywhere near the same amounts of sports back home as opposed to what i do here.

18 month old pickup "ute" less than $10k AUD.
    top of the line 6 month old around town 2 wheeled transport a little more than $2k.
    car rego and 1st class insurance $400/year.
    bike rego $20/year
    new 3 bed,2 bathroom,large block with mountain views house $70/week.
    2 course feed and drink $3..if you want to eat that way....and is Thai food 555
    hair cut (yes i do have it 555) $1.50.
    water 30-50 cents/month
    garbage collection $1/month
    electricity less than $20/month
    gold package satellite tv about $28/month

the value of the AUD has dropped alarmingly recently though so next time money is brought over and exchanged those numbers might increase by anywhere up to 20-25%
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    I like that you have identified the boredom factor and did not have to stay 'safe' in the expat community. Slightly different and a mrs in toe for me to consider.

Do you think that you could have achieved the same feeling seeing money was not a factor in Australia? Is it more a total change / cut off from working life even though you have found the happy medium for you.

Realistically though to help me understand. Scale of 1 to 10 Your weighted consideration to how much your dollar was going further in LOS as a consideration.
    I sold out of my Sydney design practice at 52 (7 years ago) which had a 5 year "non compete" clause as a condition of the sale....I had been building up a business in NZ for about 5 years which was with a different partner so my plan was to continue with that...after going down that road for a while, suffering from people not paying debts (I have since divested myself of the NZ biz as well) and a divorce with my wife I decide feck it all...I'm of to LoS for a year...and I'm just coming up on 6 years here now

Had I have gone back to Sydney I know I would have just become drawn back into the whole biz/money spinning wheel of life....I had some health issues at the time as well as almost losing my business and divorcing my wife in the one year took its toll....the year out was the best thing I ever did for myself...it really was one long holiday which I obviously found too good to give up...why not....as i said I was good to go money wise

Money and having it last longer/go further is not really an important consideration here so I will give that a 2 out of 10 in answer to your question (as I do like the fact that it costs me less)...but hell that first year I managed to spend more here than what I was spending in Sydney and Wellington (not counting mortgages/investments etc)...I could walk back into my life in Sydney anytime and pick it all back up again tomorrow if I wanted to...but I have absolutely no intention of doing that...I'm happy here and have struck a pretty good balance imo...if I go somewhere else to live it would possibly be The PI or Cambodia..I love both countries and seem to have found an affinity with the Asian beachy lifestyle
    Last edited by bacwaan; 22nd February 2015 at 02:07.
    jontymate likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    For what is worth Nels..i think you have got it right.....stay in a nice house in the "jungle"close to the sea..have all the mod cons that you would have had at home(well most 5555)....and of course done your sums from a finance point of veiw...just guessing but not costing very much these days as you all set up

For me...it would be the boredom ....it would be great to kick back for a few months...but then i would need something to do and we all know how difficult that can be in los...i dont want to continually be looking over my shoulder...i like order 5555

out of interest nels you mentioned pi and cambodia..is the cost of living the same as los....i know some saffas that stay in malaysia and are quiet happy there...no visa runs for them 55555
    bacwaan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I sold out of my Sydney design practice at 52 (7 years ago) which had a 5 year "non compete" clause as a condition of the sale....I had been building up a business in NZ for about 5 years which was with a different partner so my plan was to continue with that...after going down that road for a while, suffering from people not paying debts (I have since divested myself of the NZ biz as well) and a divorce with my wife I decide feck it all...I'm of to LoS for a year...and I'm just coming up on 6 years here now

Had I have gone back to Sydney I know I would have just become drawn back into the whole biz/money spinning wheel of life....I had some health issues at the time as well as almost losing my business and divorcing my wife in the one year took its toll....the year out was the best thing I ever did for myself...it really was one long holiday which I obviously found too good to give up...why not....as i said I was good to go money wise

Money and having it last longer/go further is not really an important consideration here so I will give that a 2 out of 10 in answer to your question (as I do like the fact that it costs me less)...but hell that first year I managed to spend more here than what I was spending in Sydney and Wellington (not counting mortgages/investments etc)...I could walk back into my life in Sydney anytime and pick it all back up again tomorrow if I wanted to...but I have absolutely no intention of doing that...I'm happy here and have struck a pretty good balance imo...if I go somewhere else to live it would possibly be The PI or Cambodia..I love both countries and seem to have found an affinity with the Asian beachy lifestyle
    Thanks for your insight and for many it would be an envious balance. It gives me something to digest.
    bacwaan likes this.

Seems to be a common link in the posts so far mentioning boredom and dealing with it. The traps are obvious like holding up a bar stool. I would have to work at some capacity paid or not. For me it drives reasonable percentage of self worth. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Seems to be a common link in the posts so far mentioning boredom and dealing with it. The traps are obvious like holding up a bar stool. I would have to work at some capacity paid or not. For me it drives reasonable percentage of self worth. Thoughts?
    thats my point excatly .but its even quiet hard to do charity work in los...so i have been led to believe...

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    thats my point excatly .but its even quiet hard to do charity work in los...so i have been led to believe...
    Vets will always be in demand pro bono for sick buffalo 55555555
    justcruzing1 and Cuzzy like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Another forum lore that gets repeated( not saying by you)

There are tons of foreigners doing volunteer work in Thailand

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I worked for myself for 30+ years.
    Prior to that I always had two jobs (or daily extra shifts).
    I had probably three holidays longer than 10 days over all those years.
    When I was finished (literally - burnt out) I quit.
    Within 2 years I turned my whole world upside-down and upped stumps for LOS.
    I don't ever regret not working another fkn day in my life.
    Boredom? - it's an absolute luxury. So you go and do something you want to do. Re-invent yourself.

Nels got it right - money and time at the same time is a key to a happy life.
    But from all accounts he always has been a hedonist.
    Last edited by Zablive; 22nd February 2015 at 18:30.
    Quarky and jontymate like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Another forum lore that gets repeated( not saying by you)

There are tons of foreigners doing volunteer work in Thailand
    i was led to believe it was illegal paulie....its just something i have heard....but it would be an option a couple of mornings a week if possible

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Boredom? - it's an absolute luxury. So you go and do something you want to do. Re-invent yourself.

sound advice Baz....do what you want to do....so many people cant.....or are to scared to try

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar

For me...it would be the boredom ....it would be great to kick back for a few months...but then i would need something to do and we all know how difficult that can be in los...i dont want to continually be looking over my shoulder...i like order 5555
    we've had this conversation before.
    cricket every weekend,net training twice/once per week,golf whenever you feel like it. scruffing TG's when the need arises,exploring etc etc
    then go to samui and sit back and catch your breath when the need arises
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

For what is worth Nels..i think you have got it right.....stay in a nice house in the "jungle"close to the sea..have all the mod cons that you would have had at home(well most 5555)....and of course done your sums from a finance point of veiw...just guessing but not costing very much these days as you all set up

out of interest nels you mentioned pi and cambodia..is the cost of living the same as los....i know some saffas that stay in malaysia and are quiet happy there...no visa runs for them 55555
    I spend around about 100K baht a month on average here Barry....around about half of that is on partying...I know I am crazy when i go out but I have fun and enjoy getting the party going on around me when I am in the mod...the rest goes on rent (my half of 25K a month as I share with a good mate from home) and food...I eat whatever I want, so it might be a 60 baht pad kaprow one meal and then a 500 baht burger the next...rarely do I eat steak here as i have never had a good one...so you might say I am saving there 555...but I will buy French champagne, lobster and caviar etc for special occasions (or if I just feel like it...555)..transport on the scoot costs me nothing and I can't think of any other major items apart from traveling which mostly goes on my CC and is paid for from my AUS bank account

PI and Cambodia are probably better off with cost of living over LoS mate but that wouldn't be what drives me there...just a change of scenery for a year or so maybe...i have considered Malaysia but overall I find it a little boring compared to the other places I have mentioned...however I do like the scuba diving there an go out to Sipidan very other year for a couple of weeks

For Jonty...I'd estimate that a couple who lived a good but not outlandish lifestyle here (Samui) could run on a budget of around 80K a month (1m a year) including a mix of eating/drinking out/home cooking, a decent rented house and a nice car/pick-up...Chob runs around that happily in Phuket...others do it for much less and some much more

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    i was led to believe it was illegal paulie....its just something i have heard....but it would be an option a couple of mornings a week if possible
    You are correct Meese -legally you need a work permit do do volunteer work.

You could informally help support "unmarried mothers" 555!
    Cuzzy likes this.

the number i had in my head with out the party's was around 60/70k a month nels..hell i could not live on that kind of money here at home 5555.....im closer than you think to making the move....might just start off with 3 months and see how it goes

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast