Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: The Changes over the Generations.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

The Changes over the Generations.

Last week my sister asked me to write down everything I could remember about our grandfather.
    My sisters are younger than me and as we didn't have much contact with him and then he died, I'm the one with the clearest memory.
    She and her family are off to Anzac Cove for Anzac Day. She won tickets in the ballot.
    He fought in Fromelle's in France, not the Anzac landing but equally as important.
    Was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal twice, plus a load of other medals

It got me thinking of our forefather's and the difference in attitude's towards life then and now.

I had to look at my maternal grandparents as I know them the best.

They both were born on Mosquito Island in Newcastle Aust. Both were from big families, 12 siblings on my grandads side.
    His parents were grateful for each child, it was a blessing from God, not a burden as they are seen these days.
    No power, no phone, no cars everyone walked and to get from the island to the city it was a row boat.
    They lived in a log and corrugated iron 2 room house, hand made.
    The more kids meant more fish had to be caught and more crops grown, to feed everyone. The older kids helped look after the younger ones.
    My Gran had to leave school at 13 to look after the younger ones and help harvest oysters.
    My great grandparents were married all their life, They had what they saw, was their purpose in life.
    Have children, as God gave them, to continue the species, work hard enough to feed everyone, share with others and help them.

Nothing More!!...Pretty simple logic. Simple Life.. simple pleasure.

My Grandparents married, they moved from the Island to neighboring Stockton Beach, a boat row away.
    They had two kids, i guess they wanted more but God didn't give them.

Initially they set up a local store, Nan ran that while Grandad fished.
    They had my Mum and sold the business, built a house, 2 Br and Grandad and one of his brothers, bought a trawler together.
    it wasn't anything like the trawlers of today, it was a timber, wide berth, about 35ft long, with a diesel motor that gave out fumes all the time from the cabin.
    I'm sure that and his 2 pack a day smoking, gave him the lung cancer that killed him.

He was a quiet man, same as my other grandad, but he hadn't gone to war but when i look back they were very much alike.
    Sit on a step, saying nothing, roll a cigarette and smoke it without saying a word, sometimes for an hour or more. Then stand up and say...well better get going.... and walk away to do whatever.

Now in this generation there wasn't any jealousy, no ..tall poppy syndrome...everyone helped each other and if someone local got recognised for something, the whole area was proud.
    There was a RAAF piolet that ditched in bad weather off Stockton, the navy and water police tried but couldn't get out of the breakwater. My Grandad and his brother took their little old timber trawler out and with local knowledge and seamanship, went and saved him.
    They were on the front page of all the papers. For the next month anytime they went into a pub the publican shouted the first round and the other men bought them beers till they were pissed.

No Envy then.

I remember a local lad was great at Rugby league, he went on to play 1st grade for Cantabury as fullback and i think may have played for Aust. Can't remember his name, and he was making Big money but anytime he came home he was bought beers, not him having to shout everyone because he had the money. He had made the area proud of him.

So move on to my parents, they were both growing up on the same Island Stockton. My Mum had grown up with her brother living in the same bedroom 10ft x 10ft (3m x 3m) so I guess she was glad to marry and move out 5555

They moved to Sydney because Dad got promoted.
    My uncle married a local girl and they stayed in Newcastle, he worked at the steel works.

So my parents were breakaways because they moved cities. My Grandparents broke away by moving islands.

Now we go to me and my sister's.

We had a happy upbringing, we were encouraged to want more and to go get it.

We were shown by banks and retailers how we could have everything now, not wait and save for it like our parents did!, get it now and just pay it off.

We became the generation of the ...keeping up with the Jones's ... the next door neighbor had a new two door fridge... we have to have one...no wait, we have to have one bigger and with cold water dispenser!...Yep

I married a girl that was pregnant to me, and poor, her and her mother lived in a little 1 br unit, no cars few clothes etc. It didn't matter to me.

Then later she was demanding...we can't bring up a baby in a unit we have to buy a house so we moved out west....it's too far to the shops pushing a stroller i need a car. etc etc.

My sisters met and married local guys that were well off, good jobs wealthy family. They could afford to buy and live locally. One sister moved when her husband got promoted, to Brisbane.

Now OUR kids are all over the place, my sister's kids are living in London, Sth Korea, Canada etc.and as much as they are all close to each other, it's like....yea we keep in contact on Facebook, or I got an email from her just last month.

Everyone has their own agenda, they all have their own life and just a bit of concern for anyone outside it.

So I guess what i'm looking at is the changed attitudes over the decade's, are they getting better or worse???

My great grandad and grandad, were happy with their role in life, they knew they were fisherman, they never wanted to be a solicitor or a council member. and they were happy.
    Their wife's were happy, feeling lucky to have a good hard working man and giving birth to babies. A roof over their heads, food enough for everyone etc.

Then look at my parent's, they were out there fighting in the new age front.
    Have to have your own house, then a bigger one, also a newer car than your workmates.

Now my generation...How many investment properties do you have? how many shares etc.
    Many are out there, both working long shifts, to meet the payments, and I ask them...so where are your kids tonight??
    Many won't have a clue and will say...but we are doing this so we can retire and spend more time with our kids and grand kids....crap.

I ask you all on here, how many, in all honesty are happy with your working life? and your living life?
    How many can say "This is what i was borne to do?"
    how many of your forefathers and mothers, were happy doing what they did? and do you match them for self satisfaction??

I know I have NOT!!
    Quarky likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    I was raised from a broken home. When I had children, My singular mission was to raise my sons in a good place, same friends, same schools...Much to my moms dismay, I didn't have that growing up. Gang bangers and punks, where my mentors...

People say I'm lucky. I'm not. I have just had a lazer focus on my sons. They drive me.

Sometimes I think, if I didn't have the boys, I would be a money mogul. Multi-millions banked.

In reality, I would probably be dead....

Good thread JC.
    Quarky likes this.

^^ Thanks Slam,
    I see a lot of the BM's intensity for their kids, I'm not one, because of circumstances and so be it.

I enjoy hearing of your kids and i know so many others, like Jonty, have the same connection, pride, of their kids, and i really do tear up at the reports, i know many others, like Sydney, have the same but post rarely about it because of privacy. that's over to them.

What I was trying to highlight on this thread was the changes in attitude over the generations.

In some way it's a bit Thai like.

My grandparents and Great grandparents knew their position in life, the were born to do what they did, they didn't desire anything more.
    They and their children stayed in the area, so family was always close by, for help etc. people were mostly happy.
    They had no further desire's, no need to "Better themself". They were what they were and accepted it.

Now was that a mistake?? should they have studied and became solicitor's?? would that have made them have happier life's? Maybe more money but would it be happier??

I'm not picking on anyone here, no generation, just asking what the differences are and what people's thought's are.

Basically....do you think your as happy and self satisfied as your predecessors, any generation.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Position in life? That's negative talk right there. People shouldn't have positions in life, people should aspire to achieve whatever they need to make themselves happy. The US gets a bad rep. A lot of it is its own making but the phrase in the declaration of independence 'Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness'...that right there is the meaning of life.
    Quarky and slampay like this.

Kris, that's not quite what i was talking about.

What i was saying is, our forefathers seemed happy to be fulfilling their position in life,not trying to climb over each other,

Their acceptance of their position in life isn't a negative term at all. I still to this day, get people that say to me .." Oh I could never be a salesman". Yet they work in a front office job.

What I asked was, forget about your new car, your investment homes, your stock portfolio, are you as happy in your life as your forefather's were??
    If so good, show us the diference, and why.

I know I'm not, but that's me, I started the thread to get opinions and views on it.

The world is evolving, I want my offspring to be on the same curve.
    PeteGill and jontymate like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Mike as you may recall my mother before passing engaged Dao to write her recollections of family. It's now been printed and bound. A wonderful legacy. Good thread and therapeutic for you, in a way.

I remember verbatim the stories told to me as a child from my great grandparents. I will write them one day to pass on. I have pride of place some of the artwork from my great grandfather. A carpenter, cob & co coach driver and farmer, but in his heart was an artist and understanding of the science of nature (sound familiar?). He would read to me about Charles Darwin and many of his other interest. The importance of organic farming including tobacco. The other stuff will kill you was his cry 55. Lived to be 102

On reflection no one else was interested in his out there ravings. I was captivated by this though, and used as a tool against his wife (an elder of the church). I was baited to ask innocent questions of her and her blind faith. She took the Sunday school(I attended) and ruled with authority. The embarrassment of my questions. No way you can get a chicken without a roster, talking about an immaculate conception. He would not go to church so, I was banned also and spent further time with him. In todays society they would have been divorced. They were diametrically opposed. But fulfilled their duties.

Position in life, perhaps is the wrong turn of phrase, more dutiful, would fit better? Just getting on with the cards dealt, perhaps?

If I could wave a magic wand, it would be for family reconciliation. I'm proud of my children, I will enjoy with pride their achievements, however I will not live life (with some failings) through them. That will not negate my failings to myself nor them.

Dao and I have not had children together. We are both keen on being grandparents and having the time and money to do so when the time is correct.

I'm happy with the results of my working life that is drawing to a close(formally). A legacy that will compound for many. The library is full of books to read to my grandchildren to reciprocate the out there thoughts of my Great grandfather. Asking people like Baz (and others) of his learnings and regrets will all have weight on what I pass on.
    justcruzing1 likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

I ask you all on here, how many, in all honesty are happy with your working life? and your living life?

As far as looking back goes I have traced a few snippets of information going back as far as my great great grandfather. That is living in the 19th Century, Victorian and the Georgian times (UK). Pre WW1 they lived well as what you might call "Pillars of Middle class society". Well off, better than most. Great GF served in WW1 but I don't have too many details.
    When his dad died he continued to run the family business, but all the money and the ownership went to his mum. After WW1 his mum "Sold" the family business to him in return for rent and a monthly stipend. He ended up running the business on a bank overdraft. By 1923 there were millions of men out of work in the UK and he was still employing. This was a time when the Weimar Republic hyperinflation was happening in Germany. By then he had a wife and six kids to support. (He was still a member of the conservative club and a local building society board member the same as his father and grandfather had been). All this however counted for nothing as he went bankrupt later that year. Not long after that he was charged with stealing a push bike and went to court for it. He was trying to get to somewhere he could find work to feed his family.
    Must have been tough being judged by your "Peers" for something like that.
    He never recovered financially but went on to have twelve kids (One died from illness). And they all made good. I do wonder what he believed in that kept him going all those years?

Last edited by Changone; 20th March 2015 at 21:27.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

As far as looking back goes I have traced a few snippets of information going back as far as my great great grandfather. That is living in the 19th Century, Victorian and the Georgian times (UK). Pre WW1 they lived well as what you might call "Pillars of Middle class society". Well off, better than most. Great GF served in WW1 but I don't have too many details.
    When his dad died he continued to run the family business, but all the money and the ownership went to his mum. After WW1 his mum "Sold" the family business to him in return for rent and a monthly stipend. He ended up running the business on a bank overdraft. By 1923 there were 7 million men out of work in the UK and he was still employing. This was a time when the Weimar Republic hyperinflation was happening in Germany. By then he had a wife and six kids to support. (He was still a member of the conservative club and a local building society board member the same as his father and grandfather had been). All this however counted for nothing as he went bankrupt later that year. Not long after that he was charged with stealing a push bike and went to court for it. He was trying to get to somewhere he could find work to feed his family.
    He never recovered financially but went on to have twelve kids (One died from illness). And they all made good. I do wonder what he believed in that kept him going all those years?

Why do you post in blue?
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Habit? Distinctive? I like blue....

Green and purple are still free...

Blue
    Green
    Purple
    Maybe not
    Brown
    Black....bit boring
    Black
    Red...confronting
    Red
    Other colours too light, except maybe yellow?
    Yellow

Wish we had fonts and sizes...555
    jontymate likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

When his dad died he continued to run the family business, but all the money and the ownership went to his mum. After WW1 his mum "Sold" the family business to him in return for rent and a monthly stipend. He ended up running the business on a bank overdraft. By 1923 there were millions of men out of work in the UK and he was still employing. This was a time when the Weimar Republic hyperinflation was happening in Germany. By then he had a wife and six kids to support. (He was still a member of the conservative club and a local building society board member the same as his father and grandfather had been). All this however counted for nothing as he went bankrupt later that year. Not long after that he was charged with stealing a push bike and went to court for it. He was trying to get to somewhere he could find work to feed his family.

C1, when my step dad retired, he needed to keep mentaly active, he had a computer and the internet, so he decided to chase down his family history.
    After he did his he did ours.
    he said he chased us all the way back to the 2nd fleet, the 2nd lot of ships sent to Aust.
    He said our family lived on a border and we would steal chickens and take them over the border and sell them, then while there, we would steal pigs and bring them back and sell them on our side of the border.
    They got caught and sentanced to Aust. and that was that.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    C1, when my step dad retired, he needed to keep mentaly active, he had a computer and the internet, so he decided to chase down his family history.
    After he did his he did ours.
    he said he chased us all the way back to the 2nd fleet, the 2nd lot of ships sent to Aust.
    He said our family lived on a border and we would steal chickens and take them over the border and sell them, then while there, we would steal pigs and bring them back and sell them on our side of the border.
    They got caught and sentanced to Aust. and that was that.
    No "loaf of bread convict" there 555!

After I retired and learned (a bit) how to use a computer I resumed researching our family history that I started 30 years before.
    I got back to 1702 thanks to a common Irish name with an unusual spelling and an unusual middle name which popped up every generation or two.
    The Irish were meticulous in recording births and deaths as the parishes were funded by the churches on a per capita basis (we were Church of Ireland).

Immigration records were very helpful and I was able to trace branches of the family in America, South Africa and Australia.
    The first member who came to Australia was a son of the local JP/Magistrate back home and joined the Victorian Mounted Police retiring in 1901 as the Superintendant of the Wimmera District based in Stawell.
    He worked all over North Eastern Victoria and I have followed his footsteps through most of those places (I have his diary, ceremonial sword and a sterling silver platter given on his retirement).
    So I came from "walloper" stock, not convict.
    Quarky and slampay like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i can remember stories told by my grandfather who was a dairy farmer and biker.
    living on the farm and mum having to ride horses to school.
    their own tennis court on it and how it was the centre of local get together's where they would play,eat the 'plate' that each person would bring or bbq's.
    family holidays at the nearby Sawtell at the bottom of the hills where they lived....swimming in the surf and camping out or staying in friends holiday houses there.

and the biggy...that the family farm was originally what turned into a southern sydney suburb,blakehurst, that they turned their back on as there wasn't enough feed for the cows because of the salinity from botany bay!!

the old bugger was a bit of a character and had very good sense of humour and always wanted to tell a funny story or three 55

my family had cameras from the early 1900's on and i have the pics stored back in Oz.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Apparently one of the most comprehensive records of births and deaths, marriages etc is the Mormon Church.
    slampay likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Interesting post JC , however I think you paint a Rosy picture of life back for your grandparents and GGparents generation.
    Looking back to the late 1800's or early 1900's they were limited in the choices they had , lack of education ( and the teachings offered were not to question authority or their station in life ) leaving school to work at early ages , they married for life because there was no choice ( Didn't matter if the marriage was unhappy , abusive , divorce wasn't an option ) they had big families because child mortality was high and they didn't have / weren't allowed access to contraception. Given a choice I'm sure they would have elected for an easier life

I've done my own family tree and I have come from labouring stock all the way back ( in Jersey , France , England , Wales , Ireland ) , it's only really in my generation , because of the education offered and more opportunities that I was able to move away from that
    PeteGill, Moo Uaon and Ian Forbes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Apparently one of the most comprehensive records of births and deaths, marriages etc is the Mormon Church.
    Absolutely! Here's a sample, they are the 'collector of all things lineage' :
    Free Mormon (LDS) Genealogy Records by Ancestor Search

Banned
    ...........removed............
    Last edited by Fionn; 26th May 2015 at 13:55.
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Banned
    ...........removed............
    Last edited by Fionn; 26th May 2015 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
    Talking about the Irish and record keeping, I can trace my surname back to 1277BC, how's that for record keeping.
    Ummm...1277 'bc' ?? Are you Irish/Chinese ?? 55

Please explain...
    Last edited by slampay; 22nd March 2015 at 16:06.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast