Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Religion

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar

Religion

I would imagine there wouldn't any true believers in God (Christian) on this forum, not practicing anyway .... i mean can you believe in God and still partake in the P4P scene, and i mean that as a serious question ..55 ... but of coarse there is a lot of BMs here that aren't into the bar scene, but still no believers right ? .... maybe i am wrong but is this forum 100% atheist or not ? ... don't be shy

Personally i think the almightly God in both of the 2 major religions is in adequate and falls well short of fulling .... not just that, but has to much bad history, has to much present conflicts, how can you close you eyes to all that's known about those 2 religions and still think it's all ok, creating excuses as you go along ..... but thats just me personally

So i have being thinking about my religion a fair bit lately, and more so since i have had this Bangladesh programmer doing some work for me, he prays 38 times a week ! Allah this and Allah that, Allah knows best for us .... i made the mistake of saying i am interesting in reading the Quran, and in some strange way i am, but i know its pointless as what version am i reading ? .... But now MD Sorfuddin from BD keeps occasionally posting excepts from his Quran when we are talking on Skype ..... why do all believers always have to be selling there religion ....

So i am going to sell you mine, tell me i am crazy if you want, but after 50 years of life, i am now very comfortable and fulfilled in my belief ..... i have always used this religion to some degree over my adult life, but lately i have discovered this is the real deal, this is how its meant to be.

My belief is the Universe ..... the Universe knows best for us ... not Allah, Not God, the Universe ..

I am now finding it so easy to move forward when something doesn't go my way, or something bad happens, or it doesn't turn out the way i really wanted it to .... put simply i can now fully trust, that was the way it was meant to be ...doesn't matter how small or how large the turn in life is, and all events no matter how small or large are forks in the road of life, there is a thousand, millions of them.... for me with currently a million dollars of debt and several business on the go those forks can appear every 10, 20 or 30 minutes a day, i am on a constant roller coaster of ups and downs...

But to be a true believer you can't switch this on or off, it has to be a belief 24/7 otherwise you dont truly believe....

The Universe, maybe some of you all already there, but for those that aren't try it out ..... if i was going to highlight or bold any of my ramble above it would be this ...

put simply i can now fully trust, that was the way it was meant to be
    Last edited by Sydney; 30th May 2015 at 20:53.
    Quarky and OZZYGUY like this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Hey Jesus consorted with prositutes , so if was good enough for him , then it's good enough for me .....

my parents didn't have me Christened when I was born.
    I used to go to Church and Sunday School when I was younger 8+ , it was my own choice , although probably influenced by my choice of friends who also went.
    I decided to be christened when I was 11 and continued to go to church as well as a weekly Bible study group.
    Around 15/16 started questioning it and by 17 had stopped going completely ...

My religious experience wasn't that bad , very nice people , with moderate views , trying to live good lives .

Now I have no real belief in anything and think organised Religion is and has always been only a tool to control the masses and allow a select few to have power / wealth / control e tc - and as such , is inherently bad

I think we are lucky to be here , the correct conditions made it possible for our evolution, nothing more , nothing less - I think it is a weakness in humanity that we need to believe in a greater power and there must be a reason for our existence and that weakness has been used over the millennia to create conflict
    Quarky, Sydney, PeteGill and 1 others like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Well put SE. I followed a very similar path as you and started questioning the whole existence of a god in my late teens. Firstly on moral grounds and then later backed up by scientific grounds..
    I started off by labeling myself as Agnostic, but I dropped that a long time ago and now see myself as purely Atheist.
    I do however live and work in a fairly strong Calvinistic society here in SA. So I more or less keep my views to myself, especially in my workplace. Though most my very close colleagues know about me being an Atheist...

Great post SE ... really liked this line ...

I think we are lucky to be here , the correct conditions made it possible for our evolution, nothing more , nothing less

I have probably used the words "belief, religion and the universe" a little strongly in relation to my situation ... its not like i am down on a mat praying to the universe or anything ..... lighting candles, and with my legs crossed chanting ooommm, ooooomm oh great Universe guide me in your light ...55555

Its more a contentment, a feeling of no concern of outcomes both leading up to ( so the unknown) and after a event if it goes wrong, ... its hard to explain, but i am pretty happy with how it feels, so i hope it says with me .........
    Stillearly likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Interesting.. The universe as a god.. makes me think..

Out of interest, I studied shamanism a bit a few years ago. Shamanism being the medical / healing side of animism, which is mixed in most of the world religions..

Central in shamanism are mother nature (earth) and father sky (sun and rain) that make life possible, the four winds, which bring good or bad, and the ghosts or spirits that can create disease.
    The names can differ, as can the animals that represent the different winds and the origin of the negative ghosts / spirits. But strangely enough, the basic concepts are exactly the same all around the world!
    And match your concept of the universe as god or religion!

Last few years I have been focusing more on energy. Scientifically, energy can not disappear, only change form.
    So this must go for life energy as well!
    And as a person I am very aware that this energy can be charged or used in a positive way, or a negative one.. So, to our choosing and actions, we can make our life energy divine, or the opposite.

Combined with some of the base principles of Buddhism philosophy (some would say religion, but I will stick to philosophy..55), like the law of cause and effect, the effects of how we use our life energy are endless! Which also means there is no end to the effects of our actions, good or bad..

So my definition of God would be the combined divinity which is in all of us, or call it the sum of all life energy… Which is not too far off from the concept of the universe as God..
    Sydney and Moo Uaon like this.

Cadet Gold
    I was raised an atheist so that was pretty easy... Out of curiosity I started reading the bible 3-4 times but every time I stopped because it's not very well written. I tried with Mein Kampf also which is just is badly written and less violent too.
    pinecone likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    I've read thousands of books, but never the bible. Maybe I'm what you could call an "ignorist" 55
    PGC and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Well put SE. I followed a very similar path as you and started questioning the whole existence of a god in my late teens. Firstly on moral grounds and then later backed up by scientific grounds..
    I started off by labeling myself as Agnostic, but I dropped that a long time ago and now see myself as purely Atheist.
    I do however live and work in a fairly strong Calvinistic society here in SA. So I more or less keep my views to myself, especially in my workplace. Though most my very close colleagues know about me being an Atheist...
    i think we must really move in different circles pete..and i do accept that its you perception(and mine)....but to call cape town a calvinistic society is very far off the mark....my take and many others is that cape town is one of the most liberal city's in saffa..you can be who you want to be here without any problems

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    i think we must really move in different circles pete..and i do accept that its you perception(and mine)....but to call cape town a calvinistic society is very far off the mark....my take and many others is that cape town is one of the most liberal city's in saffa..you can be who you want to be here without any problems
    Ya boet.... Very different circles 55555
    Last edited by PeteGill; 31st May 2015 at 05:08.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Creation or Evolution...

A question that can not be answered. You may challenge each view until your death, you will never know. This question is the greatest wonder of the world.

I gave up thinking about it, were we made by some almighty entity or did we merge, assimilate and adapt from some 'gunk' floating around.

Where did the first matter come from?? You can't deny it had to have been made by someone or something. Where did the creator come from..

I gave up. It's just too big for me.

My religion is simple. I'm trying to be a good person, with some bad habits 555. I believe the 10 Commandments go some way to being the basis for a fair and just society. Not all the way. .. but it's a start.

As for the Universe knowing what's best for us. You are wrong, we know. We just can't get it together because some of us believe or think a little differently and we have this notion that those thoughts need to be 'universal' so we try to change other peoples way of life. First by discussion and then usually with threats and violence.
    justcruzing1 likes this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I'll chime in here when I'm home. Don't need religion right now, I feel too happy and fulfilled.

And that is the crux of the matter.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzy View Post
    Creation or Evolution...

A question that can not be answered. You may challenge each view until your death, you will never know. This question is the greatest wonder of the world.

I gave up thinking about it, were we made by some almighty entity or did we merge, assimilate and adapt from some 'gunk' floating around.

Where did the first matter come from?? You can't deny it had to have been made by someone or something. Where did the creator come from..

I gave up. It's just too big for me.

My religion is simple. I'm trying to be a good person, with some bad habits 555. I believe the 10 Commandments go some way to being the basis for a fair and just society. Not all the way. .. but it's a start.

As for the Universe knowing what's best for us. You are wrong, we know. We just can't get it together because some of us believe or think a little differently and we have this notion that those thoughts need to be 'universal' so we try to change other peoples way of life. First by discussion and then usually with threats and violence.
    i think along similar lines.

too much smart stuff going on for it to all have happened by chance but that intelligent designer....where is he hiding what is he doing? dunno about that concept.

much smarter and educated types tell me that the intelligent design theory is dead in the water so it must be evolution that got us and this place like it is!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzy View Post

As for the Universe knowing what's best for us. You are wrong, we know..
    We know? ... this is not a one answer fits all Cuz, and certainly we are not right about knowing whats best for us in many circumstances ....

and what about in situations were things are out of your control, but you know which way you want it to go thinking that would be best for you, but it doesn't end up going that way, and low and behold the way it went turns out ends up being better for you anyway, for a reason you never thought of before ....... exactly who knew then ?
    Last edited by Sydney; 31st May 2015 at 13:14.

this pic sums it all up for me...

Changone likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Say what you like about the Universe, after all, it can't talk back.
    And if one day it blows up in your face, you can't blame it.
    But when you start chanting and babbling in tongues, I'm out..
    Cuzzy likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I'm going to loose 80% of the readers here, this will take a LOT more than a paragraph.

I was bought up in a strong Catholic family, I was an alter boy.

As I have documented elsewhere here, I was clinacaly dead at 10 and did the tunnel thing headed to the white light.
    In a coma for 6 months and woke up thinking it was the next day.

Thruout my 60 yrs I have experienced a lot of things and I have looked at a lot of religions and have found none are perfect, but all seem to have many things in common. Most demand there is no other God but theirs, that there is no cross collaboration with the opposition.
    I can remember when a Catholic wasn't allowed to marry a Methodist or Protestant or C of E. my 1st wife had to convert to Catholic to be allowed to marry me in my church.

I got involved heavily in spritualisim? and I think that is where I got an understanding that I can live with.

My understanding is there are 9 levels and we are on level 4. Level 9 is when you become "A God" as related in other religions.

As you ascend each level you gain further power/attributes.

So here at level 4 we have gained the power of free thought, decision making etc, we look after and teach, animals that are below us, and we try to do right from wrong. Next level we could maybe have control of time or matter?? we won't know till we get there.

Sydney's idea if the Universe looking after him, in my understanding is more a "being" on level 5 acting as our guide, like a guardian angel in other religions,
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    what i do find strange about religion is how people try to justify there chosen beliefs weather(sic) its christianity/agnostic/atheist/ect....we all seem to think we are right.....while i hold no brief for any religion(and will not bore you with my beliefs) i do find it quiet funny how atheist's mock religion.....life would be much easier if we all knew the truth 55555

^ if there was no god there'd be a need for someone to invent one

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ if there was no god there'd be a need for someone to invent one

Before I go on (and on...555) just let me say please believe what you want. It's your choice and good on you.

^And long ago, man found this was far too good an opportunity to miss and has been inventing religions ever since.
    If they had twitter way back then it would have become a new religion for believers, I mean how many "Followers" can you get?
    The one thing they all seem to have in common is someone saying "Trust me, I know what you can't".
    Today we like to say well I don't follow a man you can't understand, I follow a thing you can't understand.
    In fact, I'm going to give up my power of choice to it and "Trust it", even if I know nothing about it.
    Man seems to have an innate ability to "Suspend their beliefs".
    By that I mean they get on a jet aircraft without checking the pilot can fly a plane.
    They don't know how the internet, or a mobile phone works but they use them anyway.
    Technology and Cosmology and a lot of other "Ologies" have exceeded our ability to understand them so
    Maybe we are "Looking for something" to replace our bewilderment.
    Time for a new religion.

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I'm not going to waste my remaining years trying to discover the meaning of life.
    I'll leave that to those who still think they'll live to an active and healthy 100 years!
    Cuzzy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast