Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: first impression..do looks pay a part

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar

first impression..do looks pay a part

i went to a business meeting yesterday....trying to buy a small building that i can rent out...the guy that owned the building was to say the least a little scruffy..hair down to his shoulders/unkept/overweight/clothes my gardener would not want and one of the messest(sic)offices i have ever seen..papers every where....he was pleasant enough thou..but he did not make a good impression on me..that does not mean im not going to do the deal..if all goes well i will.....busy doing due diligence and going through the financials....but my thoughts are if he is so scruffy in person he will be tardy with the paper work...(have already spotted that he is behind on his rates..but that is a small problem)

but the real question is do first impressions count and do looks play a part..i think they do even thou there are countless story's of eccentrics who are very rich and yes there are also guys who make a good impression but are con men

its really got me thinking about it...would you buy insurance from a guy that arrives in a 10 year old car or a bank manager with dirty hair 5555....

they do say never judge a book by its cover..but i think we do....what do you guys think

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    ''busy doing due diligence and going through the financials''
    Stick with plan messy,FFS
    meese and pinecone like this.

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    its really got me thinking about it...would you buy insurance from a guy that arrives in a 10 year old car or a bank manager with dirty hair 5555....

Would you buy from a guy who arrives in a brand new Porsche. Some would see it as he must be good if he is doing that well, others might think he is doing a bit too well and must be ripping them off and making too much money out of them. I suspect the USA leans towards the former and the UK more to the latter.
    pinecone likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    Would you buy from a guy who arrives in a brand new Porsche. Some would see it as he must be good if he is doing that well, others might think he is doing a bit too well and must be ripping them off and making too much money out of them. I suspect the USA leans towards the former and the UK more to the latter.
    that is just my point PGC...impressions do count or do they 5555

Of course first impressions count. Usually you'll feel most at ease with people who present themselves as you would yourself...

Same applies with women... I really like clean women who look after themselves, eat properly, do exercise, dress nicely... etc... though thats for dating... when it comes to a one off, you may experiment a little... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I think impressions count in all manners of life.
    I think people dress like absolute bums these days......well a good majority.

We were just having this convo yesterday
    Unless I am travelling for biz we can get away with jeans and egen nice shorts in the summer
    But all of us always wear very nice jeans and dress shorts except the one old guy on our desk.....looks like he is taking the trash out
    And we tell him to dress nicer so it doesn't ruin it for all of us.

I make my nephews and stepson dress nice in flights...slacks and a collared shirt

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Flights are frigging uncomfortable at the best of times. Wearing some comfy joggers and tshirt makes it that bit more bearable.
    obes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    Flights are frigging uncomfortable at the best of times. Wearing some comfy joggers and tshirt makes it that bit more bearable.
    Yeah I never understand people who dress up for a long flight! Hell... to me it's like preparing for a marathon.. would you wear a suit to run a marathon? Dress appropriately for the conditions... long flights are an ordeal...
    Chob and obes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Yeah I never understand people who dress up for a long flight! Hell... to me it's like preparing for a marathon.. would you wear a suit to run a marathon? Dress appropriately for the conditions... long flights are an ordeal...
    I nice pair of slacks or a really nice pair of dress shorts and loafers are just ad comfortable as any other clothing
    If a really long flight i take a pair of gym shorts and clean socks and change into those once dinner is over if I want to sleep

I see people walking onto flights with tank tops and flip flops on......I think inappropriate. Your sitting in tight quarters....i don't want to see your bare feet or have you rubbing uo against me

As for my nephews and stepson.....it is an absolute pet peeve when kids dress like slobs. They all know I won't take them out if they look like bums. All my nephews now dress great and alwyss look nice and I like to think I had a part in that

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    This reminds me of a very well off guy I used to work for many years ago.

He was scheduled to meet some clients who were going to buy some fairly exe machinery from him.
    He didn't want them to think he was doing overly well, so swapped cars with me for the day.

I didn't mind, as I got to drive his brand spanking new top of the line range rover.
    Bear in mind I was only early 20s then, so it was pretty cool driving his then luxury car around.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    I wear a pair of 501's and a decent enough shirt to get on the plane.... once the seat belt light is off, into the loo, change into trackies and a T.... before descent do the reverse.. works for me!!
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I like to dress down, I have to say. I like to be comfortable. But it is great fun, if, say, buying a car for example, to look like you haven't got 2 bob to your name.. The sales people DO treat u differently. That is until you pull out the cash or the card to buy the dam thing... Sometimes I buy, sometimes I smile and leave.

First impressions are important I guess, but shouldn't be the be all and end all. What a bloke wears (or a lady for that matter) doesn't bother me.. What matters is what is inside the clothes... If they are a decent person, who cares if they look like an unmade bed? Really?
    PeteGill likes this.
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i use to do a lot of business with one of Oz biggest surfwear brands and it was kind of comforting that the big brass at their main office all wore surf style/casual wear same as me

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    i went to a business meeting yesterday....trying to buy a small building that i can rent out...the guy that owned the building was to say the least a little scruffy..
    in that sort of situation the actual property is all that matters IMO.
    is it in good condition does it need paint or any/much other maintenance improvements = $$ that may have to be spent on it.
    is the price @ market,less or more....doing sums about rental returns etc etc

so first impressions would count a lot there and what i'd be paying most attention to!
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 6th June 2015 at 12:40.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I nice pair of slacks or a really nice pair of dress shorts and loafers are just ad comfortable as any other clothing
    If a really long flight i take a pair of gym shorts and clean socks and change into those once dinner is over if I want to sleep

I see people walking onto flights with tank tops and flip flops on......I think inappropriate. Your sitting in tight quarters....i don't want to see your bare feet or have you rubbing uo against me

As for my nephews and stepson.....it is an absolute pet peeve when kids dress like slobs. They all know I won't take them out if they look like bums. All my nephews now dress great and alwyss look nice and I like to think I had a part in that
    I think you can still look reasonably smart on a plane.. but still casual/comfortable. I am just amazed when I see guys in a 3 piece suit for a 15 hour plane flight...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i find flights are way too cold and even for the short ones i like to wear shoes to stop my feet from getting cold.
    on the long ones,like dave,i pull out the tracky daks and socks and travel blanket when it's time to snooze or if it's really cold.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I think you can still look reasonably smart on a plane.. but still casual/comfortable. I am just amazed when I see guys in a 3 piece suit for a 15 hour plane flight...
    when I travelled for business I always dressed in a suit, with a light merino/cashmere "Icebreaker" zip neck top, the only dress boots I'd take and I carried my overcoat over my arm (if I was going to a wintery climate)....more room in the carry on for other stuff...I hate checking luggage....of course I ditched it for the free PJs as soon as I could or changed into some looser pants and complimentary slippers but still with the same top

even on LCCs here in Asia these days I still hate checking luggage so will wear the only pair of jeans I am taking, the only jacket I am taking and the only boots I am taking....same thinking as above...cuts down weight in the carry on

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    i don't want to see your bare feet
    How exactly do people's bare feet manage to offend you?
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    What is the old saying about never judge a book by it's cover?

Obviously there are certain situations that require certain dress codes ( Though I went to a funeral recently in one of Cape Towns wealthiest suburbs and I was surprised to see that out of about 150 mourners. I was one of the very few wearing a tie, and that includes the deceased three sons who all wore open neck shirts.)

To me being clean and hygienic far out ways what a person wears, Even old cloths can look well laundered and nice and tidy. So I am very much with Dave here, try and look past the "image"

BTW I am sure that many an elderly person who has been cheated out of their life saving have been done so by a well dressed and smooth talking gent...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Anyway you can have a beard and long hair and still be a sharp dressed man 5555

Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    How exactly do people's bare feet manage to offend you?
    Certain places.....bare feet are not proper and sitting next to a stranger in tight quarters is definitely one of them

I actually always bring a brand new pair of socks when flying

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast